2014-2015 NFL Football thread

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
I don't really see Trestman being the fall guy here. I know in reality he's hooked to Jay, so if Jay is run out of town, so will he, but there's no way the Bears are giving up on Trestman after 2 or 3 seasons. They're putting up historical franchise numbers. An offense the franchise has never seen before. The system is fine, it's the player (QB) running it that's the problem.

That's not to say Trestman doesn't have some faults - his time out usage, his end of half management, etc. are all a little puzzling (at least there's a theory behind it, even if I don't agree). And even his play calling seems too boom or bust (calling a bomb on 3rd and 1 instead of just getting the first down.) But that's not the MAIN problem on offense.

The problem with this team is Cutler. And yeah, that might be my anti-Cutler homerism coming in to play a bit, but when the guy doesn't turn the ball over, the team wins. And they score a ton of points. When he plays like s***, the defense is on the field way too long and they lose. It's that simple. It can't be ALL the coach if the same plays result in wins and scoring and big plays when the QB makes the right decision.

For next year, my wish is that Rex Ryan gets canned in New York and agrees to be the DC in Chicago like his daddy.

We are 20th in the league in offense. That is unacceptable under any standard and if we stick at that point, with all the other stuff, including intangibles, then things need to change. If we finished the year with a top 8 offense and a bottom 10 defense, I'm okay with Trestman staying around. However, a poor offensive production, without legitimate excuses such as significant injuries, is just unacceptable when combined with everything else.

Rex Ryan would be great for our defense but he likely gets another head coaching gig.

I agree with a lot of points. I personally like Trestman. He's still a little rough around the edges with his coaching ability. However, Jay has a tendency to be a boom or bust QB. When's he hot, he's hot and when he's not he's not. He is just too inconsistent of a QB to be paid what he does.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
I agree with a lot of points. I personally like Trestman. He's still a little rough around the edges with his coaching ability. However, Jay has a tendency to be a boom or bust QB. When's he hot, he's hot and when he's not he's not. He is just too inconsistent of a QB to be paid what he does.

The one thing that kills me, is by and large, this year Jay has actually been very good. Unfortunately other issues have cropped up that have put further magnitude on some mistakes that he makes and that most QB's make. His QB rating has been very strong in all of his games and this really was his worse game but it also appears that in many games we have hand cuffed him with question play calling. It also seems like in all of our losses we have certain drives killed by other offensive players coughing up the football after a Jay turnover too, which further amplifies the issue. My point being, we are not a very precise team across the board. Yes, players deserve blame for that but so do coaches. This past week was the worst game of the season for me because we literally didn't look prepared.

I was upset with other games, with the other one being the Carolina game where I feel our play calling, amongst other things, singlehandedly lost us that game. Buffalo game I give some excuses for since we were pretty much playing without our top wideouts for a good chunk of the 2nd half. There is no excuse for what happened against Miami and against Carolina. None. Even GB, I'll give some excuse cause our defense has no chance against Rodgers.

There are so many issues I don't even know where to point fingers. The whole organization outside of potentially the GM seems to be ineffective right now (and by default, that pretty much makes him ineffective).

I can't say this is on the players, or the coaches, or the defense or the offense. They suck all-around one week, play well enough to make us change our minds the next, I just don't get it.

To me, it ultimately comes down to a lack of leadership, if I had to guess, and that falls on Trestman, as he is the HC.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
There are so many issues I don't even know where to point fingers. The whole organization outside of potentially the GM seems to be ineffective right now (and by default, that pretty much makes him ineffective).

I can't say this is on the players, or the coaches, or the defense or the offense. They suck all-around one week, play well enough to make us change our minds the next, I just don't get it.

To me, it ultimately comes down to a lack of leadership, if I had to guess, and that falls on Trestman, as he is the HC.

I also really question our in game personell moves. I don't understand DJ Williams playing. He's had little impact on the season and we saw positive impact out of younger players yet stick with Williams. I do like our LB coach as we have seen progress at a position with a limited talent pool but question who we started. I also have a hard time how open guys tend to be against our defense. Our coverage, both in the secondary and at LB is just bad and I think some of that has to do with the scheme. Tucker seems to get pants from a pure X's and O's standpoint most weeks. This week it looked like we had literally no idea that Tannehill was athletic and they run a lot of those zone reads.

I also want to point out that when Holmes is in the game, for whatever reason, we tend to play very very poorly. Anything in the remote direction of him tends to be a disaster. Not blaming Holmes per say, just stating that we have got to find another option or figure something out because the productivity out of our top wideouts has been bad as it is, let alone any production from depth guys. I realize no / limited training camps from both Holmes / Morgan, but at this point in the season, whether its Jay or others, they got to figure out a way to right this ship.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
We are 20th in the league in offense. That is unacceptable under any standard and if we stick at that point, with all the other stuff, including intangibles, then things need to change. If we finished the year with a top 8 offense and a bottom 10 defense, I'm okay with Trestman staying around. However, a poor offensive production, without legitimate excuses such as significant injuries, is just unacceptable when combined with everything else.

Rex Ryan would be great for our defense but he likely gets another head coaching gig.

Our QB has 10 turnovers in 7 games. How is that the HC's fault? He's done all he can to keep Cutler from making those mistakes. He's dumbed down the play calling to the point that it's been a lot of dink and dunk stuff to Forte. And even though that works, Cutler feels the need to make a big play and that's where mistakes happen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
The one thing that kills me, is by and large, this year Jay has actually been very good. Unfortunately other issues have cropped up that have put further magnitude on some mistakes that he makes and that most QB's make. His QB rating has been very strong in all of his games and this really was his worse game but it also appears that in many games we have hand cuffed him with question play calling. It also seems like in all of our losses we have certain drives killed by other offensive players coughing up the football after a Jay turnover too, which further amplifies the issue. My point being, we are not a very precise team across the board. Yes, players deserve blame for that but so do coaches. This past week was the worst game of the season for me because we literally didn't look prepared.

I was upset with other games, with the other one being the Carolina game where I feel our play calling, amongst other things, singlehandedly lost us that game. Buffalo game I give some excuses for since we were pretty much playing without our top wideouts for a good chunk of the 2nd half. There is no excuse for what happened against Miami and against Carolina. None. Even GB, I'll give some excuse cause our defense has no chance against Rodgers.

He's been good in half the games and terrible in the other half. Pretty typical for him. Again, 10 TO's in 7 games. Unacceptable.

But I do agree with you that there's a lack of precision. The fact that receivers are running the wrong routes is really bothersome. Maybe preseason or even the first couple games, but we're in week 7. That stuff just can't happen.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
He's been good in half the games and terrible in the other half. Pretty typical for him. Again, 10 TO's in 7 games. Unacceptable.

But I do agree with you that there's a lack of precision. The fact that receivers are running the wrong routes is really bothersome. Maybe preseason or even the first couple games, but we're in week 7. That stuff just can't happen.

Didn't he also not have any through the 1st four games? If so, that's even worse.

Sexy Rexy could probably do better in this offense.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Didn't he also not have any through the 1st four games? If so, that's even worse.

He definitely had a terrible INT in the bills game that imo lost us the game.

I don't think Rex would be better, but I'm hardpressed to tell you that we would have a worse record with Kyle Orton, and have 10 million more to work with.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)

No, in each loss he had at least two turnovers, in each win he had none

Can you imagine what Rodgers would do if he had Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte as his weapons? Downright scary...

Let's all just admit it, Jay is a mediocre QB, at times brilliant and at other times disastrous. That is the very definition of mediocrity.

It's getting to the point where I'd like to see what Trestman could do with someone else. Jay finally has an offensive line, a pair of great WRs, a big solid TE and probably the best all around RB in the league and the Bears could only muster 14 pts at home with the usual idiotic turnovers.

NO MORE EXCUSES.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

Aaron Rodgers when his time is done is going to go down as one of the very best quarterback's of all time so comparing Jay to him is not fair.

Cutler obviously has to be better but comparing him to Rodgers is just silly.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Can you imagine what Rodgers would do if he had Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte as his weapons? Downright scary...

Let's all just admit it, Jay is a mediocre QB, at times brilliant and at other times disastrous. That is the very definition of mediocrity.

It's getting to the point where I'd like to see what Trestman could do with someone else. Jay finally has an offensive line, a pair of great WRs, a big solid TE and probably the best all around RB in the league and the Bears could only muster 14 pts at home with the usual idiotic turnovers.

NO MORE EXCUSES.

Yea this is great and all but it is wishful thinking

THREE MORE YEARS.

Contract. It is what it is, Bears aren't cutting Jay and his 56

Mil guaranteed so strap in and either close your eyes or enjoy the ride

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Aaron Rodgers when his time is done is going to go down as one of the very best quarterback's of all time so comparing Jay to him is not fair.

Cutler obviously has to be better but comparing him to Rodgers is just silly.

This is so true.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)

NO MORE EXCUSES.

See last year when Trestman and the Bears had the best QB in the league for 6 games. And you know what he didn't do in those games? Turn the ball over. I think he had 8 td's to one interception.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
See last year when Trestman and the Bears had the best QB in the league for 6 games. And you know what he didn't do in those games? Turn the ball over. I think he had 8 td's to one interception.

At this point, I feel like we'd be better with a game manager than a gunslinger under Trestman's offense. All we do is throw screens and medium range passes anyhow. Cutler's rarely had to show off his arm this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I think it was INTs then. Because I remember them keep bringing the stat up that he went 4 straight games without an INT.

Are you talking about last year? Because Cutler threw picks in the first game this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I think it was INTs then. Because I remember them keep bringing the stat up that he went 4 straight games without an INT.

I think Jay had gone his longest stretch without turning the ball over(in any capacity) going into the Packers game. But there has been no 4 game stretch this season without a turnover(int or fumble)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
At this point, I feel like we'd be better with a game manager than a gunslinger under Trestman's offense. All we do is throw screens and medium range passes anyhow. Cutler's rarely had to show off his arm this year.

Cutler likes to change out of plays a lot. He's given a lot of freedom which is why he likes Trestman. Marc is also a wimp so Marc won't say anything to Jay. No one in this town will. Waddle, Silvy, Carm and Jurko all just talked about how they may have hired the wrong coach. Carm seemed like he was ready to bring up Cutler by talking about the turnovers being the other huge problem, but they right away went back to Trestman.

Trestman was never a great hire, but he does know offense. The problem is Jay. Until he's gone, this offense will never reach it's full potential, or even 75%.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)

McCown got very lucky with that ratio. He threw a lot of dropped picks and had quite a few bail out Jeffrey catches.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
McCown got very lucky with that ratio. He threw a lot of dropped picks and had quite a few bail out Jeffrey catches.

Frankly Jeffrey should get more opportunities for bail out catches, that's what makes him special.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Frankly Jeffrey should get more opportunities for bail out catches, that's what makes him special.

I agree and it baffles me that we don't try it. See end of 1st half where we decided, with what is supposed to be a great O and trailing, that we DID NOT WANT AN EXTRA POSSESSION. Really just mindblowingly stupid.