2014-2015 NFL Football thread

I kinda understand how when you're a psychopathic bully asshole, you might think that all of this stuff was not being taken the wrong way. And some people probably can deal with it and tune it out.

Martin had clinical depression. His brain doesn't work that way. He was going to be sensitive. He was afraid to stand up for himself and he shouldn't have had to stand up for himself. Not for that stuff. This isn't the kind of thing that should be self-regulated. It shouldn't be there. This is 2014 America and that locker room is filled with grown men. Grow the f*** up. You can have fun and still treat your workplace like a god damned workplace.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sad. More than being mad at Incognito, this whole situation makes me feel bad for Martin. Incognito fined himself in kangaroo court for "breaking" Martin....Martin was clearly broken. He was already in a bad place. Here is a pros-cons (they're not in any special order) list he shared with a non-NFL friend:

-Football games are fun

-I can make a lot of money playing football and be set for life

-I have a legacy that will live after I die

-not many people get to live their childhood dream

-I am the left tackle for the Miami dolphins

-if I quit, I'll be known as a quitter for the rest of my life

-my legacy at Stanford will be tarnished

-I will never be able to look any coach from my past in the eye

-I hate going in everyday.

-I am unable to socialize with my teammates in their crude manner

-I already have a lot of money. I could travel the world, get my degree. Then get a real job

-I could lose 70 lbs and feel good about my body

-I won't die from CTE

-Maybe I'll start to LIKE myself

-I don't need to live lavishly. I could live very frugally

-why do I care about these people? All I need is my family

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Wasn't there a lot of texts that painted Martin in a bad light as well. I think incognito is a scumbag pos but I don't really feel much sympathy for Martin either.

I think it's pretty clear that Martin was trying his best to be one of the boys and felt uncomfortable doing that, and even then wasn't accepted and kept being hazed.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
Wasn't there a lot of texts that painted Martin in a bad light as well. I think incognito is a scumbag pos but I don't really feel much sympathy for Martin either.

If I read that section of the report correctly, a lot of those texts were suggested to be Incognito trying to leave a record that made him look better once stuff started coming out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
If I read that section of the report correctly, a lot of those texts were suggested to be Incognito trying to leave a record that made him look better once stuff started coming out.

Yea, in the complete deadspin rundown it states that Martin knew that Incognito was trying to do the buddy buddy texts as soon as it broke. And then Incognito immediately texted Pouncey about how much Martin was a p****.

The worst part of the deadspin article was the Asian trainer part.

I honestly don't think the players knew the extent that Martin was being broken down. Most people can roll with the punches and it even seemed like Martin could when he would respond to degrading text messages with, "Martin: Ah yes I missed being demeaned by you boys lol… Can't wait for this weekend"

I've probably heard that type of humor exchanged between friends at every stage of my life. To that extent? Probably not, but nothing in that article was all that uncommon to me. I feel like Incognito thought he could say the N word because he was using it jokingly. The guy's two main associates were apparently Mike Pouncey and John Jerry.

Edited by Boogua

Have I seen some of those things said...sure...but with the consistency and assholeness...never. That is the epitome of bullying and being a complete and utter prick. Pouncey and Incognito are classless bums and should never get another NFL job again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Have I seen some of those things said...sure...but with the consistency and assholeness...never. That is the epitome of bullying and being a complete and utter prick. Pouncey and Incognito are classless bums and should never get another NFL job again.

Unfortunately both are very good at their jobs and will probably sign/play as soon as they are able to

But hey, let's all shun Michael Sam! Amirite Herm Edwards?

The texts about Vegas are the most illustrative to me. Incognito is just insulting him in a 1-on-1 situation and Martin is like "Yeah, I miss being demeaned by all of you."

I mean come on dude...you think that is going to make these guys respect you?

Additionally, the texts to his parents. He clearly has some emotional issues that make it almost impossible to function in this environment unless he's got some teammates or coaches really looking out for him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Unfortunately both are very good at their jobs and will probably sign/play as soon as they are able to

But hey, let's all shun Michael Sam! Amirite Herm Edwards?

Yep. Pro sports where you can be a rapist, criminal, dog killer, or just generally a piece of s*** human being and that is all ok if you help us win but god forbid you be gay.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Yep. Pro sports where you can be a rapist, criminal, dog killer, or just generally a piece of s*** human being and that is all ok if you help us win but god forbid you be gay.

If Sam is good enough to be in the NFL he'll be in the NFL. Let's not forget a guy like Vontaze Burfict even went undrafted because of possible issues. Are Sam's issues warranted because he's gay? No, but it could make for a lot of tension in a locker room as well as a media circus that will surround the team. Those are the issues. It is what it is.

If it was 1st round talent that announced he was gay this wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I don't see Martin at fault at all here. He was like prey and was trying to deflect until they went away. They never did. He could have been fine in most locker rooms. The worst is that he did have the courage to confide in everyone that he was having a problem and that only accelerated the harassment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
The texts about Vegas are the most illustrative to me. Incognito is just insulting him in a 1-on-1 situation and Martin is like "Yeah, I miss being demeaned by all of you."

I mean come on dude...you think that is going to make these guys respect you?

Additionally, the texts to his parents. He clearly has some emotional issues that make it almost impossible to function in this environment unless he's got some teammates or coaches really looking out for him.

Victim blaming eh?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
The not being able to play in the NFL wouldn't be an issue. The gay thing obviously would, but it wouldn't drop a guy to being undrafted. That's what I meant.

He sounds like a marginal NFL player at best from reading articles. The media sideshow will probably go away by midseason but is he good enough for a team to deal with the circus during training camp/preseason when an organization is trying to figure out its football team?

Marginal player probably isn't the right way to describe it. There are some who see serious star potential and others who see a nice talent with no position. It isn't like your average "not sure if this guy is good enough"