2014-2015 NFL Football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Good for him, very courageous move on his part given the timing.

This survey of anonymous NFL front office people isn't very positive to say the least.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-f...am-draft-stock/

I actually want the Bears to take him...wanted them to grab Sam, Ealy and Gaines from Mizzou.

Here's hoping they still consider it.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:05 PM)
Good for him, very courageous move on his part given the timing.

This survey of anonymous NFL front office people isn't very positive to say the least.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-f...am-draft-stock/

That's sickening. How do they know it won't work if they don't try? It worked just fine at Mizzou.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
That's sickening. How do they know it won't work if they don't try? It worked just fine at Mizzou.

Only "leak" I heard about Sam was that he ranted in his class for 20 minutes about how he couldn't feed his puppy due to not being paid.

The general student population had 0 clue.

Sounds like he wasnt going to be a highly sought after draft pick to start with but it'll be a shame if he goes completely undrsfted for his sake. But I also don't blame a team for not wanting to deal with that headache from the media.

I'd like to see a GM survey asking if they'd rather deal with the Tebow media or media spotlight from an openly gay player.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)

A team won their division this year after their #2 receiver publicly dropped the N-word, but a locker room couldn't handle a gay player?

I think he did the right thing. He didn't want to be outed. He didn't want rumors to affect his draft stock or standing in the locker room. He didn't want to be what is essentially a ticking time bomb in the locker room, where he'd risk calamity after letting it out in the middle of his career. Now he gets to say "Hey NFL, I'm Michael Sam and I'm gay. Take it or leave it."

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 02:33 AM)
Only "leak" I heard about Sam was that he ranted in his class for 20 minutes about how he couldn't feed his puppy due to not being paid.

The general student population had 0 clue.

Uh, really? I've heard that he was pretty open about this since. Like October and I don't even know anyone still in Columbia.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
Uh, really? I've heard that he was pretty open about this since. Like October and I don't even know anyone still in Columbia.

I heard next to nothing about it. Might just be I exist in different circles (and haven't been able to cover sports until this semester), but the only things about Sam were his rant and that he never, ever talked to media.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 09:40 PM)
Sounds like he wasnt going to be a highly sought after draft pick to start with but it'll be a shame if he goes completely undrsfted for his sake. But I also don't blame a team for not wanting to deal with that headache from the media.

I'd like to see a GM survey asking if they'd rather deal with the Tebow media or media spotlight from an openly gay player.

The impression I got last night was that he was a moderately highly touted player who made some all-SEC teams at DE, was I wrong in that?

The thing is...if this kid actually has some talent and a history of performance, and he drops even a little bit in the draft because of this, he becomes a solid "value" pick that could outperform his draft slot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
The impression I got last night was that he was a moderately highly touted player who made some all-SEC teams at DE, was I wrong in that?

The thing is...if this kid actually has some talent and a history of performance, and he drops even a little bit in the draft because of this, he becomes a solid "value" pick that could outperform his draft slot.

He was a fantastic college player, but he is 6'2 255-260. He played with his hand in the ground in college and scouts aren't sure if he translates that great to the NFL. He was projected to go anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th round.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
He was a fantastic college player, but he is 6'2 255-260. He played with his hand in the ground in college and scouts aren't sure if he translates that great to the NFL. He was projected to go anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th round.

So if he's there in the 6th it would be silly for some team not to grab him unless he performs poorly at the combine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)

There's quite the range of opinions on him. I've seen him mocked as high as the 2nd round and as low as the 6th and 7th. He put up impressive numbers but some people are skeptical and believe they are inflated because the majority came against weak competition. For example, 9 of his 11.5 sacks came in 3 games against Vandy, Florida and Arkansas State

There's quite the range of opinions on him. I've seen him mocked as high as the 2nd round and as low as the 6th and 7th. He put up impressive numbers but some people are skeptical and believe they are inflated because the majority came against weak competition. For example, 9 of his 11.5 sacks came in 3 games against Vandy, Florida and Arkansas State

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

Also, Vandy's OT that he was going against is going to the NFL and was their best offensive lineman.

The reason Sam is falling is because at the Senior Bowl he did not play well as a LB when that is what teams really wanted to see. But when he put his hand down and went straight ahead he was electric still.

For those who want him to succeed, like me, I think best place would be Seattle, where late round picks suddenly, ahem, get way bigger and faster than everyone else.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Also, Vandy's OT that he was going against is going to the NFL and was their best offensive lineman.

The reason Sam is falling is because at the Senior Bowl he did not play well as a LB when that is what teams really wanted to see. But when he put his hand down and went straight ahead he was electric still.

For those who want him to succeed, like me, I think best place would be Seattle, where late round picks suddenly, ahem, get way bigger and faster than everyone else.

Sounds like a Bears first round draft pick to me.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Sounds like a Bears first round draft pick to me.

It actually isn't a bad comparison, except I think Sam is stronger and has better moves arsenal (yes, he has better arsenal of moves than Shea's spinorama he employs at every second).

And what I like most is that he never stops on a play. You can't teach that, that's how I knew Sheldon was going to be a player. Sam doesn't take plays off, and despite not always getting sacks he would get at least one good pressure in every game. He was the one about to destroy Manziel when suddenly manziel floated a 40 yard bomb right into his receivers arms.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Saw it live.

Cringed the entire time.

Considering the whole Grantland fiasco a few weeks ago I'm surprised ESPN's coverage has been so antiquated. And whoever thought it was important to have that segment...sigh.