2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Would have been a nice return for Beckham. As in anything would have been. Or Jared Mitchell.

He was literally just bought. I don't even know if we could have got him for Beckham without sending cash, to be frank.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
and he took 30 seconds to get around the bases. but I'm sure he'll claim to be the victim next time he gets beaned.

How dare you talk badly about Boston's Derek Jeter!!!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)

Like Jeff Passan hinted at, that's kind of a "f*** you, trade me" move by Tulo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Matthew DeFranks ‏@MDeFranks 1h

A friend of Hector Santiago in Cooperstown got Goose Gossage to address an autograph to Hector. The message? "You had a nice career." Oops.

Damn Goose, that's cold.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
Anyone care to guess who might be taking Lester out of Boston?

Probably the dodgers? I've heard them, pirates and cardinals, but I don't see those two teams trading for a rental player because I doubt either could resign him. Who knows but my guess would be dodgers

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Had no idea Nix was an outfielder now? Maybe they're thinking of his brother Laynce? Nix is a great guy though, I hope he smashes some LHP in the NL Central.

Nope.

He's been playing all over the field the last 2-3 years.

I think he might have played OF with the White Sox on at least a couple of occasions, but I can't remember clearly now.

He and Lillibridge both had seasons where they showed surprising power....the thing I remember about Nix is how much he was loved by Carney Lansford, who just had glowing comments about him from his time with the Rockies.

Edited by caulfield12

So the Red Sox didn't start David Ortiz tonight. In a tie game they get a single and a double to start the 9th in a 1-1 tie game at St Louis. With runners at 2nd and 3rd, and no one out, they PH Ortiz.

I don't ever want to hear what an idiot Robin Ventura is again.

Story on new Padres GM AJ Preller, 37 years old...Cornell grade, summa cum laude, former roommate of Jon Daniels there

’s more than a good guess that George Bernard Shaw didn’t have San Diego’s professional sports teams in mind when he said youth is wasted on the young. Because it’s being served here, both seen and heard. A child shall lead our way.A year ago, the Chargers replaced very veteran General Manager A.J. Smith with a 41-year-old whippersnapper named Tom Telesco. Wednesday, the Padres introduced A.J. Preller — yet another A.J.! — as their latest GM, their fourth since 2009. He takes over for Josh Byrnes, who was canned in June — was he too old? — at the advanced age of 40, which liars tell us is supposed to be the new 30.

Preller, a 37-year-old fresh off a 10-year hitch with the Texas Rangers (most recent rank: assistant GM), looks as though he just stepped out of his Cornell yearbook wearing a mortarboard.

“Although A.J. is young in age, he’s an old soul,” said Ron Fowler, the team’s executive chairman, who probably had sold a few kegs of beer before Preller was born.

Preller also has been described as being both ruthless and endearing. Didn’t they say the same thing about Al Capone? Anyway, that’s one interesting description of a young man who never has been in charge of a baseball organization. In his former capacity, what could he have done ruthlessly, put Super Glue on rosin bags?

“I think he’s tough as hell,” Fowler said. “He outworked people. While everybody else was in the stands visiting, he was working. He was doing his job and gaining a reputation as a tough guy.”

To find Preller, who was smart enough to graduate summa cum laude from an Ivy League school, who has become an expert in recognizing both U.S. and international talent, Fowler, lead investor Peter Seidler and CEO Mike Dee conducted a search Ulysses would have found drawn out.

This was a terribly important hire and the trio found all available rocks and turned them over. In the end, Preller, who has put in 3 million air miles talent-searching, won. And the way Fowler talks about him reminds me of what Chargers boss Dean Spanos said of Telesco, who looks every bit the right hire, despite resembling a Mouseketeer.

“A.J. literally has an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball,” Fowler said. “I was shocked — just shocked — at his knowledge. He came to interview with three pages of notes and eight hours of answers. You’ve got to be some kind of smart to do that.

“He looks at the world differently, and that’s how you have to look at it here. You can’t look at it like the Yankees and Dodgers.”

I wondered aloud why the Big Three went unusual and fired their GM at midseason. Plus, without a GM, assistant A.J. Hinch (yet another A.J., who resigned this week) conducted trades that sent off closer Huston Street and third baseman Chase Headley.

The Street trade was disturbing. They could have waited and got something better. If the Angels wanted a closer that badly, they should have had to pony up something better than what they did.

"We've always been candid; we did what we needed to do, although the media said we were idiots (for trading Huston Street for a lesser return)," Fowler said. "We had confidence in A.J. Hinch to do the job; we didn't have any trepidations."

So they fired Byrnes so early because?

"We wanted to have the best shot of looking at the (potential GM) pool without having to deal with five other teams," Fowler said. "You saw us play" — I certainly did — "this is a performance-based business and we were not performing."

I can buy that for now. But I do know it's a good thing Preller is a confirmed workaholic because a half-buttock job isn't going to work here. The team's drafts historically have been so horrible they seem like fantasy. Internationally, despite sinking $10 million into the Dominican Republic (changes will be coming there because it has yielded nothing), not much has happened.

Preller is a smart guy, so he knows what to say, and he said it all Wednesday. He isn't taking over the Dodgers and a $230 million payroll. He will have to be creative. He will have to be damn good.

"I'm not a huge fan of a timeline," the latest A.J. said. "The Padres have never won a World Series, and that was intriguing to me. They want to build something long term; they want to build something first class."

As for a Padres budget?

"I don't see that as an excuse," he said.

Good answer, because a big payroll is not necessary (or possible) here.

A.J. takes over a team that can pitch but can't hit.

And he can't bat cleanup.

from San Diego Union Tribune (utsandiego.com/sports)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/padres...p;vkey=news_mlb

Edited by caulfield12

Not sure how Amaro still has a job at this point.

They're stuck with so many bad contracts right now....it makes Dunn/Danks look like a walk in the park. Of course, they have a higher payroll and are generating more revenue, despite being 10-15 games under .500 for most of the season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
So the Red Sox didn't start David Ortiz tonight. In a tie game they get a single and a double to start the 9th in a 1-1 tie game at St Louis. With runners at 2nd and 3rd, and no one out, they PH Ortiz.

I don't ever want to hear what an idiot Robin Ventura is again.

Well it depends who he pinch hit for and who was coming up after the batter he pinch hit for.