2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:12 AM)
I truly don't care about team payrolls cause I have no sympathy for owners who blatantly rip off the fans. That said, I laugh at this Choo contract. Look what he produced this year for all that $$. Owners of sports teams are so stupid. They set the market for this crap.

THE CASE FOR CHOO

-- Rangers signed him to 7 year, 130 mill deal last winter (hilarious).

He's finished for the season in which he hit .242 with 13 home runs, 40 RBIs.

So is some advanced-stat lover going to tell me his on base percentage of .340 makes him worth that cash?? In football, he'd be cut so fast this offseason it'd make your head spin.

supply and demand. there are team that are stuck with players with $$$ laden contracts that they can't

get rid off. I bet a lot of owners who will become like JR, who may not invest in those long contracts.

I don't know, don't you feel that the sox had 2 big contracts that they may have regretted?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
I truly don't care about team payrolls cause I have no sympathy for owners who blatantly rip off the fans. That said, I laugh at this Choo contract. Look what he produced this year for all that $$. Owners of sports teams are so stupid. They set the market for this crap.

THE CASE FOR CHOO

-- Rangers signed him to 7 year, 130 mill deal last winter (hilarious).

He's finished for the season in which he hit .242 with 13 home runs, 40 RBIs.

So is some advanced-stat lover going to tell me his on base percentage of .340 makes him worth that cash?? In football, he'd be cut so fast this offseason it'd make your head spin.

And those "ripped-off" fans will b**** and moan about the "Cheap" owners if they don't spend the money on top talent. If you want top talent immediately, you have to pay top dollar for it. Otherwise a team may have to go through several years of growing pains, then half the fanbase gets restless anyway.

Plus, general managers are often hired to be fired. Do you think Daniels cares about the last 2-3 years of the Choo & Fielder contracts? If they go horribly, he'll probably have another job by then anyway.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:28 AM)
Did you see the kind of year he had for 19 million? You think he's going to get any better the next six years? Yes, he'd be cut if he was on an NFL team so they wouldn't have to pay the money.

You didn't even read what I wrote. There is no way you are this dumb.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:28 AM)
Did you see the kind of year he had for 19 million? You think he's going to get any better the next six years? Yes, he'd be cut if he was on an NFL team so they wouldn't have to pay the money.

Too bad we can't cut posters for having bad posting spells.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
Sergio Santos DFA'd again. No one will pick him up, and Toronto will surely pay the buyout. I bet he is one guy the Sox will want back for a look next spring if no other team does anything crazy.

Has his stuff diminished or is he just a head case at the moment? If the arm is still there I'm all for giving him a chance on the cheap.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Has his stuff diminished or is he just a head case at the moment? If the arm is still there I'm all for giving him a chance on the cheap.

Fastball average velocity by year

2010 95.5

2011 95.2

2012 94.7

2013 94.6

2014 93.8

Change up has gone from

86.7 to 86.6 over the same time frame.

Not good when the difference between your fastball and change is getting smaller.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Fastball average velocity by year

2010 95.5

2011 95.2

2012 94.7

2013 94.6

2014 93.8

Change up has gone from

86.7 to 86.6 over the same time frame.

Not good when the difference between your fastball and change is getting smaller.

He threw a change?