2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 10:10 PM)
So, who's choking harder right now, the A's or Royals? Outside of James Shields, saw a ton of not ready for prime time from KC this week. Having Yost as the mgr. probably not helpful at a time like this.

When losing becomes a habit it is hard to shake. Somewhere in 2011 someone on a non Sox board was probably saying the same thing about the White Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Buehrle starting today. Looks like they moved him up, which makes me wonder if they'll let him pitch on final day of the season on three days rest if he comes up a couple innings short of 200 in his last few starts.

I don't think they'll give him another start, but Gibbons did mention the possibility of pitching him out of the bullpen for a couple innings in one of the last two games of the season if he is short of 200. Gibbons said that he is more worried about Buehrle coming up short than Buehrle is. He has two more starts and just needs to go 6 in each so he should get there no problem.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
I don't think they'll give him another start, but Gibbons did mention the possibility of pitching him out of the bullpen for a couple innings in one of the last two games of the season if he is short of 200. Gibbons said that he is more worried about Buehrle coming up short than Buehrle is. He has two more starts and just needs to go 6 in each so he should get there no problem.

Knowing Mark, he probably hasn't given it a second thought.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1m

Of last winter's long-unsigned 5 -- Cruz, Santana, Jimenez, Drew, Morales -- only Cruz has been above-average this year. (Santana 98 ERA+)

Wow, a 3.74 ERA is below average in the NL now...I remember when 3.74 was ace-like back in the early 2000s.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1m

Of last winter's long-unsigned 5 -- Cruz, Santana, Jimenez, Drew, Morales -- only Cruz has been above-average this year. (Santana 98 ERA+)

SIGN THEM BECAUSE WHO CARES

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
In the year 2000 *Conan voice*, Tim Hudson came up short in the Cy Young vote and finished 2nd with a 4.14 ERA. Pedro Martinez had 1.74 ERA and an ERA+ of 291. That ERA+ is the best ever away from some fellow in 1880. I am going way off subject now, but Pedro is at the absolute least a top five pitcher ever. What a killer he was.

Wow, it really hurts me to see who finished near the top of the Cy Young for that year.

Tim Hudson, David Wells, Roger Clemens, and Mike Mussina. Neither of those guys had an ERA below 3.7. Wells and Hudson were over 4. How times have changed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Hey look, the Yankees are playing baseball police

any coincidence that Brian McCann is on that team? ;)

Maddon's quote referring to Girardi pretty much sums up my feelings.

I agree with everything he said, but to pitch inside correctly or incorrectly, that's not the point," Maddon said. "It is called baseball; sometimes hitters get hit. But I understand their frustration entirely. We are not going to apologize for it because it is part of the game. But I do get why he was upset.