2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
He's involved in the most overrated catch of all time. You know, the one where he caught a pop up, took 27 steps and then stupidly dove into the stands face first and hit a chair.

OMG WHAT A PLAY

You need to look at it again. While not the greatest play of all time, it is closer to that than the event you described.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
Walkoff single for Jeter...pretty awesome

That was something. I don't like him cause of the media sucking his nuts 24/7, but the guy is pure class and a true legend. Pretty much impossible to hate as an ambassador of the game. I do hate that he slept with most of the woman that I can dream of. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
I have never understood the Jeter hate. He basically is hated, not by what he does, but because of the perception the media likes him too much.

Personally, I wish he had his first ballot HOF career with the White Sox.

I've never hated Jeter cause I don't hate the Yankees like a lot of people do but this week has been rather annoying. That said, we all knew it was coming so oh well.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
He's involved in the most overrated catch of all time. You know, the one where he caught a pop up, took 27 steps and then stupidly dove into the stands face first and hit a chair.

OMG WHAT A PLAY

The catch Uribe made for the 2nd out in the 9th inning in 05 would be shown on every highlight reel had Jeter made it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
I have never understood the Jeter hate. He basically is hated, not by what he does, but because of the perception the media likes him too much.

Personally, I wish he had his first ballot HOF career with the White Sox.

Yup. It's ESPN's specialty.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
Damn dude.

I don't like Jeter, but you straight up hate him.

I think it's pretty cool he got a walk-off hit in his last home game. Is all the media going to be on his dick for the next week eternity? Yes. Do I hate that? Yes. But at the end of the day you have to admit Jeter's been a great player over his career and that's probably one of the best ways you can end a career (at home at least).

Fixed.

Still, I'll echo that a hall-of-famer hitting a walkoff in his final home game is an awesome story regardless of who it is.

One of the polls on ESPN's homepage right now asks "where does Jeter rank among the best baseball players of all time"

Options (with current results)

Top 5 (12%)

Top 10 (20%)

Top 15 (12%)

Top 25 (28%)

Not in Top 25 (28%)

Are these people delusional? 72% believe he's a top 25 player all time?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
One of the polls on ESPN's homepage right now asks "where does Jeter rank among the best baseball players of all time"

Top 5 (12%)

Top 10 (20%)

Top 15 (12%)

Top 25 (28%)

Not in Top 25 (28%)

You could make a weak case for him as a top 25 position player, but I won't try. Anybody who voted top 5 should have their Internet taken away.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
You could make a weak case for him as a top 25 position player, but I won't try. Anybody who voted top 5 should have their Internet taken away.

I would say calling him a top 25 position is still absurd. I definitely put him out of the top 100 for all players.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)

Top 5 (12%)

Top 10 (20%)

Top 15 (12%)

Top 25 (28%)

Not in Top 25 (28%)

Well look how horribly one sided that question is stated. That's like posing a question for Konerko asking the same thing. Everyone SHOULD pick Not in Top 25 for Konerko, but by virtue of there being 5 choices, it makes it SEEM to the audience that "top 15" would be the middle ground fair way to answer.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
I would say calling him a top 25 position is still absurd. I definitely put him out of the top 100 for all players.

That's why I said "weak" case. He's 46th in fWAR, but a bunch of guys ahead of him played before 1900 so they don't really count. And one was Pete Rose, and he's a jerk. And then, like, he was... clutch. Or something.

Okay, you're right. It's absurd.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Only Yankees fans could help make a HoF player into one of the most overrated players in history. In reality, he's a fringy HoF guy who is put over the top into "definite HoF" territory for being an excellent playoff performer.

Yup. If he hadn't played for the Yankees he would be Craig Biggio.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Presented without comment

Regular season: .309/.377/.440, 8.6 BB% 14.6 K%

Postseason: .308/.374/.465, 9.0 BB% 18.4 K%

Yeesh that's kind of crazy how similar they are. I guess when you're in the post season so damn much your numbers tend to even out, still crazy though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Yeesh that's kind of crazy how similar they are. I guess when you're in the post season so damn much your numbers tend to even out, still crazy though.

It is odd. There's the disclaimer that you're facing better pitching on average in the playoffs, but Jeter is Jeter regardless.

Edited by shysocks

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

I'm sure his awful regular seasons the past two years weight down his regular season numbers a little bit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
I think Jim Kaat said last night he had 10 postseason series where he hit over .400.

He also hit .200 or worse in seven postseason series and .250 or worse in twelve. Guess he forgot to be clutch for those.

All we learn from this is that he was in the playoffs a lot, and we know his numbers there came out remarkably similar to his career line.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
If Derek Jeter was a White Sox and received the same attention, the haters here would have a different spin on his career.

Derek Jeter would need to have been about 40% better as a White Sox to receive the same attention. He had a great career and he is a no-doubt, deserving hall-of-famer, but he would not have near the status he does if he weren't a Yankee.