2014 MLB catch-all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnist...ff-banister.ece

Banny will be a great manager. I saw him manage a team of overachievers (the best players on our team were Jimmy Anderson, Chris Peters, Jason Johnson, Lou Collier and finally Jose Guillen near the tail end) for 142 games in 1995 when the GreenJackets won the SAL.

He's the right combination of communicator, stern/disciplinarian...you have no choice but to respect him, and he has clearly adjusted over the last twenty years, because analytics/SABR was all still pretty new back at that time and was being scoffed at by most scouts and "insiders."

As a personal story of perseverance, he should be a Lifetime/Disney Movie of the Week before he even manages with all the adversity he's overcome already.

Here's another article.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/1...anister-manager

Edited by caulfield12

I have no idea if anyone else here cares about this but why not write it.

Just watched the 30 for 30 on the 1989 Loma Prieta (world series) earthquake. Caught a bit of delightful science in the actual video of the quake hitting.

When an earthquake happens, it sends out seismic energy in the form of different shaking methods. The fastest-moving wave that heads out is called a p-wave, its always weaker than the waves that come afterwards that do the real damage. The p wave is usually somewhere between a second and a couple seconds faster than the big surface waves, and the farther you are from the source of the quake, the bigger the time gap.

In the video from when the quake hits, Tim McCarver is talking about something that happened in the previous game. If you listen carefully, McCarver stumbles over his words and pauses mid-sentence, then resumes talking normally for about 2 seconds, and then the tv camera cuts out.

Tim McCarver paused his sentence when the p-wave hit, kept talking for 2 seconds not having a chance to process what it was, and then the main shaking hit.

I can literally tell how far Candlestick Park was from the source of the quake by Tim McCarver's speaking. I just thought that was remarkable.

The past few 30 for 30's have been very good. The Boston College Scandal and the earthquake.

The earthquake was one of those events that I wish Twitter was around for. Remember waiting for the game to start with my my mom and pic went out. We didn't have cable in 89 so had no idea why until the news came on.

I have no idea if anyone else here cares about this but why not write it.

Just watched the 30 for 30 on the 1989 Loma Prieta (world series) earthquake. Caught a bit of delightful science in the actual video of the quake hitting.

When an earthquake happens, it sends out seismic energy in the form of different shaking methods. The fastest-moving wave that heads out is called a p-wave, its always weaker than the waves that come afterwards that do the real damage. The p wave is usually somewhere between a second and a couple seconds faster than the big surface waves, and the farther you are from the source of the quake, the bigger the time gap.

In the video from when the quake hits, Tim McCarver is talking about something that happened in the previous game. If you listen carefully, McCarver stumbles over his words and pauses mid-sentence, then resumes talking normally for about 2 seconds, and then the tv camera cuts out.

Tim McCarver paused his sentence when the p-wave hit, kept talking for 2 seconds not having a chance to process what it was, and then the main shaking hit.

I can literally tell how far Candlestick Park was from the source of the quake by Tim McCarver's speaking. I just thought that was remarkable.

We had an early morning earthquake here a few years back. The cats started flipping out a full 10-15 seconds before the shaking started. It's the only reason my wife was awake to feel it because the cats sleep on her and they woke her up.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 08:22 AM)
We had an early morning earthquake here a few years back. The cats started flipping out a full 10-15 seconds before the shaking started. It's the only reason my wife was awake to feel it because the cats sleep on her and they woke her up.

We also had a small one, that originated very close to where I live. My wife was pregnant with my middle son Jakob, and she woke me up and said he was really active and going nuts, next thing i know, the house shook

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
So, just me spitballing based on hypotheticals right now.

Alex Rodriguez received a 162 game suspension. What if the Orioles and Yankees tied for the division title and had to play a game 163? Would ARod have been eligible to play in that game?

My guess would be no, but really it would be an interesting argument. His suspension was listed as 162 games and he would be ineligible for the playoffs because he was not removed from the restricted before August 31, but game 163 is considered "regular season" so I'm not sure. In reality, I don't think the Yankees would activate him for that one game after not playing for over a year.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
My guess would be no, but really it would be an interesting argument. His suspension was listed as 162 games and he would be ineligible for the playoffs because he was not removed from the restricted before August 31, but game 163 is considered "regular season" so I'm not sure. In reality, I don't think the Yankees would activate him for that one game after not playing for over a year.

I think the latter is correct because you wouldn't want to risk your entire season on a guy who hasn't played for a full season other than perhaps minor league rehab games. On the other hand, your option at 3B could alternatively be an injury replacement type player whose true MLB value is like a -2 WAR - poor or mediocre defense, bad offense, but he's the only option you have at 3B.

It'd be like a one in a million scenario, but it's fun to think about anyways.