Sox Claim Maikel Cleto, P

cabiness42

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The Chicago White Sox have claimed right-handed pitcher Maikel Cleto (Michael CLAY-toh) off waivers from the Kansas City Royals and have designated infielder Jake Elmore for assignment.

Cleto, 24, combined to go 3-5 with a 5.52 ERA (56 ER/91.1 IP) and 89 strikeouts in 35 games (10 starts) last season between Class AAA Memphis in the St. Louis organization and Class AAA Omaha in the Royals system.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Cleto also appeared in one game with the Cardinals (June 5 vs. Arizona) before being claimed off waivers by Kansas City on June 23. He pitched in six games for Licey in the Dominican Winter League, allowing one run on two hits with 13 strikeouts over 9.2 IP (0.93 ERA).

A native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Cleto has gone 24-40 with a 4.93 ERA (319 ER/582.2 IP) and 508 strikeouts in 174 games (90 starts) over seven minor-league seasons. He also made 13 relief appearances with the Cardinals from 2011-13, allowing 18 runs in 15.2 IP (10.34 ERA) with 26 strikeouts.

Cleto, who will wear uniform No. 39, originally was signed by the New York Mets as a non-drafted free agent on August 10, 2006. He is expected to join the White Sox in major-league camp on Thursday.

Elmore, 26, was claimed off waivers from Houston on November 13, 2013.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There goes soxtalks "Jose Abreu" idea that they wanna reunite Eaton and Elmore.

As for Cleto...Meh. He's got a big arm 96-99 on the FB....Maybe Coop'll fix em.

EDIT.....REALLY need to post first and look things up later. Guys beat me to the punch 5 minutes ago....But wasn't it "Jose Abreu" and not Lillian?

Edited by scs787

If the Cardinals couldn't reel him in, and gave up on him, I think it is going to be difficult to do so, but regardless, you never have too much pitching. Maybe Elmore clears and gets outrighted. He wouldn't be a big loss, but it is interesting having a guy who can play everywhere (even if not very well) in the organization.

I wonder why the Sox didn't claim him last year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Dan Hayes now quoting Rick Hahn as saying they'll be able to trade Elmore in the next couple days.

1. Weird to see a GM actually say they are going to trade someone in a few days

2. Weird they claimed him (Elmore) in the first place if you ask me, with Leury Garcia around.

Possibly in a deal to the Yankees? Though I can't see us getting their better catchers for him straight up but maybe a Romine or Cervelli.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Possibly in a deal to the Yankees? Though I can't see us getting their better catchers for him straight up but maybe a Romine or Cervelli.

Unless they package someone else. I believe the Yankees are also looking for bullpen help. However, how much help would Elmore be for the Yankees unless they're just looking for depth?

Elmore isn't going to be traded for anything (by himself) useful for the Sox major league roster. If you package him with a guy like Petricka, he might maybe get one of the backup guys like Romine, but I don't see too much value in doing that. Most likely, Elmore gets traded for a minor leaguer, and not a significant one either.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Unless they package someone else. I believe the Yankees are also looking for bullpen help. However, how much help would Elmore be for the Yankees unless they're just looking for depth?

Well, their everyday second baseman is Brian Roberts, and their every day SS is Derek Jeter, both of which are injury prone. They're also betting on a Kelly Johnson bounceback that may not come, so I'd think the Yankees are in great need of IF depth. If you think about it, Cervelli/Romine are essentially the C versions of Jake Elmore: pre-arb depth with some small upside. I don;t see why the Yankees wouldn't at least consider Elmore + a guy like Duente Heath for one of those two guys.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
Well, their everyday second baseman is Brian Roberts, and their every day SS is Derek Jeter, both of which are injury prone. They're also betting on a Kelly Johnson bounceback that may not come, so I'd think the Yankees are in great need of IF depth. If you think about it, Cervelli/Romine are essentially the C versions of Jake Elmore: pre-arb depth with some small upside. I don;t see why the Yankees wouldn't at least consider Elmore + a guy like Duente Heath for one of those two guys.

While all of that is true, they also have Eduardo Nunez and Brendan Ryan in their infield rotation and none of the guys we'd offer are obvious guaranteed upgrades on those guys. If someone actually does get hurt severely then they definitely could use them, but they have 5 guys in the rotation to cover those 3 spots who are all about as valuable as Gillaspie/Keppinger right now. Maybe, Maybe Beckham is a slight upgrade over what they have...but again that's if someone gets hurt.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Feb 26, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
There goes soxtalks "Jose Abreu" idea that they wanna reunite Eaton and Elmore.

As for Cleto...Meh. He's got a big arm 96-99 on the FB....Maybe Coop'll fix em.

EDIT.....REALLY need to post first and look things up later. Guys beat me to the punch 5 minutes ago....But wasn't it "Jose Abreu" and not Lillian?

Is this directed towards me?