Missing Malaysian Airliner thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Is it possible that we have a Payne Stewart sort of situation but on a greater scale?

I thought about that as well, but even if, where's the plane is the mystery.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
http://mh370lost.tumblr.com/post/792146078...ion-to-the-ntsb

Not sure if anything is being ruled out at this time.

Seems odd (and scary if true) that a plane wouldn't have a sensor for low oxygen levels that would prevent a scenario like that. If that truly was the case, then there should be some sort of indicator well before oxygen levels reached a life threatening state.

Is it possible that we have a Payne Stewart sort of situation but on a greater scale?

Well, we now have this report from the Malaysian military that the plane made a left turn of about 130 degrees right after communication was cut off. If there had been a massive depressurization, the plane would not have turned but kept going.

I've heard two plausible theories about why the plane cut off contact and then turned.

(1) Either by their own choice or by force, the pilots deliberately cut off communications and then re-routed the flight

(2) There was a massive electrical failure that cut off all systems except the emergency navigation backup. The pilots re-routed the flight to try to return to Malaysia to land but did not succeed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 06:44 AM)
Well, we now have this report from the Malaysian military that the plane made a left turn of about 130 degrees right after communication was cut off. If there had been a massive depressurization, the plane would not have turned but kept going.

I've heard two plausible theories about why the plane cut off contact and then turned.

(1) Either by their own choice or by force, the pilots deliberately cut off communications and then re-routed the flight

(2) There was a massive electrical failure that cut off all systems except the emergency navigation backup. The pilots re-routed the flight to try to return to Malaysia to land but did not succeed.

#2 seems the most plausible to me.

Haven't seen this noted here:

When the transponder was turned off, it removed the aircraft from civilian radar. That was over the Gulf of Thailand an hour or so into the flight. It did NOT remove the plane from military radar.

The plane then made an approximate 180 and the Malaysian Air Force tracked the plane as it headed back towards the Malay Peninsula. It crossed the peninsula and, according to the MAF, disappeared near a Malaysian island in the northern end of the Strait of Malacca. I have NO idea how it would remove itself from military radar without crashing. But since it disappeared from radar near the shore in one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, I am bewildered as to how no one saw it crash. I also don't know the range of the MAF's radars, although I don't think it would expire so close to the Malaysian coastline.

The latest news is that the Rolls-Royce engines sent automated messages to the company's headquarters as late as four hours after the plane supposedly disappeared. With that flying time, the plane could have gone as far as Pakistan or Australia (the engine messages do not include geographic info, only mechanical). Also, this is what the American investigators on the ground say. The Malaysian authorities deny this, saying RR says the engine messages stopped at the same time as they (the Malaysians) say they lost military contact. I'd like to hear directly from Rolls-Royce itself in regards to these messages.

The Iranians using stolen passports made me think terrorism was the cause when I first heard it, but no matter how weird that is, I can't think of any motivation for Iranian agents would want to blow up a Malaysian plane full of Chinese people.

I somewhat suspect that the explanation will end up being completely mundane. This info given here will end up having been premature, and it will be revealed that the plane suffered severe pilot errors and flew into the Gulf of Thailand when they initially said it did. And per the aforementioned principle of "aviate, navigate, communicate" and the precedent of Air France 449, they didn't have the time or foresight to communicate their dire situation to the ground. And this whole mystery will just be an ordinary, albeit tragic, air disaster.

Then, other times, I think someday it will be divinely revealed that they all flew into an alternate dimension.

re: the Malaysian military picking up the plane on radar:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airli...ng-plane-again/

In addition, U.S. radar experts have looked at the Malaysian military radar track, which seemed to show the jet flying hundreds of miles off course west of its flight path, and back across the Malaysian peninsula. Sources say the radar appears to be legitimate and there is a strong reason to suspect that the unidentified blips - seen on military controller screens - are images of Malaysian Airlines 370.

the NTSB has validated the Malaysian military radar records and has determined that it is necessary to expand the search to the western Strait of Malacca.

I'm not seeing anything today about the oil rig worker who claims to have seen a plane on fire in the sky.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 07:08 AM)
If this plane is intact, hidden in some jungle somewhere, then this is the greatest heist in the history of the world.

If this was a heist, then there was something valuable on that plane besides the people.

No matter what, this is some crazy stuff. Poof, gone.