NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Do you honestly think that there was nothing in between them and leitao? You really think that was the very best they could do? C'mon now. There was a chance to at least bring a little buzz to the program and ponsetto continues her streak of making the worst possible decisions she can.

Anyways, doesn't matter. Being a DePaul fan has been like being in an abusive relationship. No use in even trying to be optimistic that it'll ever get any better after all this s*** so I'm done for the foreseeable future.

I agree. A totally uninspiring hire. If Hurley and Drew both said no go to the next young guy on the list.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
Very possibly, yes. When you have mid-major coaches who don't want to touch your program, that is very telling to what the perception of the job is.

You mean the ones that interviewed or showed interest in interviewing? Yup. Don't want to touch the program. Makes perfect sense.

But thanks for doing the legwork in polling all potential coaching hires.

There was more than enough interest to be able to hire a good coach. It was just another atrocious job by the AD.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
You mean the ones that interviewed or showed interest in interviewing? Yup. Don't want to touch the program. Makes perfect sense.

But thanks for doing the legwork in polling all potential coaching hires.

There was more than enough interest to be able to hire a good coach. It was just another atrocious job by the AD.

So who else was out there that wanted the job? Let's hear them all then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 31m31 minutes ago

Hello MT @JonRothstein: BREAKING: VCU's Shaka Smart is in discussions with Texas about its head coaching vacancy, sources told @CBSSports.

I dont think much of him as an actual coach, but it would be interesting to see if he could succeed at a large school.

I feel since the DePaul hire is done, I can tell this story. I was in Peoria last weekend and talked to my buddy who does college recruiting and is in the know. Said Bobby Hurley wanted the DePaul job. His people were calling my friend and other folks, getting info on the city and the job. Hurley has recruited a few kids from Chicago.

Not sure what went wrong but that would've been a hire that would of energized the base, but nope. Not sure how that AD still has a job.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 01:07 AM)
That DePaul hire, wow. Zero inspiration, especially with the new arena coming

The Texas Job might be one of the best jobs in the country. So many resources, so little pressure since it's not football.

Seriously. It's a sleeping giant.

And how does Ponsetto still have a job? She's bungled so many hires.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:41 AM)
I feel since the DePaul hire is done, I can tell this story. I was in Peoria last weekend and talked to my buddy who does college recruiting and is in the know. Said Bobby Hurley wanted the DePaul job. His people were calling my friend and other folks, getting info on the city and the job. Hurley has recruited a few kids from Chicago.

Not sure what went wrong but that would've been a hire that would of energized the base, but nope. Not sure how that AD still has a job.

The pitch or the package must have sucked. He would have been a good hire.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:41 AM)

Our soxtalk source confirmed that there is no mid-major coach that would touch the program though

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Our soxtalk source confirmed that there is no mid-major coach that would touch the program though

But they had Tim Floyd!

jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 4h4 hours ago

Ha ha. Just saw this from @phillipshoops: DePaul interviewed Tim Floyd! http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com...date-at-depaul/

I'm really happy with Tennessee hiring Rick Barnes. I know he's had his issues the last few years at Texas, but frankly, we know what we're going to get with him and that's a good thing for us right now. We couldn't risk a bust, and this is a guy with 600+ career wins and made the NCAA Tournament 19 of the last 20 years. I also think he'll be rejuvenated a bit by being fired. It's human nature to want to prove your old boss wrong.

UT is a program where you can win big (look at Bruce Pearl who had us ranked #1 at one point in 2008), but 3 coaches in 3 years is going to take it's toll. Barnes will bring in very good talent. Even if we never make a big run in the NCAA tournament, as long as we can just make the tournament for a few years in a row (not including next year, which will be rough), I'm good with that. The hope here is that he stabilizes the program and makes it a prime spot for a young, solid coach once he leaves.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)
Ames?

I'm not really following the "where's he going" side, more the "Kim Anderson killed Missouri Basketball" side.

Man, all the s*** Mike Anderson got and he's the only one who gave them a program.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
Texas scout guy reports Shaka to Texas on a 5 year deal.

Wow. If Shaka is as good as they say, he should kill it at Texas.

I also saw that Gregg Marshall got a raise to stay in Wichita. Good to see a MVC school can pay a coach over $3 million.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)
Wow. If Shaka is as good as they say, he should kill it at Texas.

I also saw that Gregg Marshall got a raise to stay in Wichita. Good to see a MVC school can pay a coach over $3 million.

Very good news. Good for Wichita St keeping him.