Do you think Paulie would retire midseason?

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could totally see it happening. I think he has a lot of pride and would realize when he just can't do this anymore and/or just isn't having any fun. He wouldn't be the first guy to hang 'em up during a season. Nothing to be ashamed about.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
Personally he can't be having any fun. If Sox are out of the race, I could see him quitting. It's not like he's getting a lot of play on some sort of "farewell tour." Fans in KC did not care he was in the house.

I didn't expect them to?

Fans should remember the progression to the mean, just as much as the regression to the mean. However, I did not think they would bench him as much as they have this year. I can't believe he signed up for this s***. I find it hard to believe he is very motivated.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 05:12 AM)
Fans should remember the progression to the mean, just as much as the regression to the mean. However, I did not think they would bench him as much as they have this year. I can't believe he signed up for this s***. I find it hard to believe he is very motivated.

I can't believe he signed up for this, either. Unless behind the scenes he's some great coach in waiting or something. Maybe he's coaching during the games. But I'd think his current role would be mighty boring. Although he still is making a lot of money compared to the rest of humanity. It's easy $$$ just taking batting and fielding practice.

Apparently people never heard his interview on The Score. I'll find it if I can. Paulie knows he's going to get little-to-no playing time and his primary role is mentorship this season. Since that's what he willingly and knowingly signed up for, I'm sure he's feeling just fine right now. The only way I can see him retiring is if Hahn asked him to mid-season, and Hahn won't do that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
I can't believe he signed up for this, either. Unless behind the scenes he's some great coach in waiting or something. Maybe he's coaching during the games. But I'd think his current role would be mighty boring. Although he still is making a lot of money compared to the rest of humanity. It's easy $$$ just taking batting and fielding practice.

This is exactly what he signed up for, he said so himself.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 04:36 AM)
This is exactly what he signed up for, he said so himself.

I don't give a s*** what he said in some stupid interview. saying so and meaning it are two very different things for a player with his competetive mindset. Getting fewer at bats was expected, but this is rediculous.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
I don't give a s*** what he said in some stupid interview. saying so and meaning it are two very different things for a player with his competetive mindset. Getting fewer at bats was expected, but this is rediculous.

It was like a 20 minute interview, he was very candid. Not your usual fluff piece. He went into great depth on his role and how he felt about it.

EDIT: A quick search didn't turn it up. But I'm sure someone who listened to it can back me up.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 01:52 AM)
Anybody who truly thinks like that, I don't want them on my team.

Thinks like what? Like "I'm going to mentor some guys and show them how to prepare for a game/season properly since this is a young team"? Okay....

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 04:54 AM)
Thinks like what? Like "I'm going to mentor some guys and show them how to prepare for a game/season properly since this is a young team"? Okay....

"I'm going to sit on the bench all season" and be a cheerleader

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Personally he can't be having any fun. If Sox are out of the race, I could see him quitting. It's not like he's getting a lot of play on some sort of "farewell tour." Fans in KC did not care he was in the house.

Were you expecting a special farewell from the royals on their first series to KC in April? :lol:

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 04:45 AM)

I want to know if he's embraced his role in the dugout or if he's still acting like a regular player. Is he just acting ready for when he gets called on? Or is he teaching, etc? With this role, he should just retire. It's stupid.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 02:10 AM)
"I'm going to sit on the bench all season" and be a cheerleader

That is the role he was asked to play. Everyone in the organization made this abundantly clear. Hahn said "200 ABs for Konerko" at Soxfest. This is not an attitude problem on anyone's part.

Not just referring to Hawkfan here, but what's with the emotional reaction to a fading veteran on the bench of a rebuilding team? At this point, the roster spot isn't keeping anyone out of the Bigs who should be here.