2016 Summer Olympics preparations 'worst' seen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
The problem is that we are now 28 months away, and that isn't enough time to build much of anything. The only city that might be able to pull it off without substantial construction is LA. but then if you are going to take the unprecedented step of moving the Olympics 2 years out, then you might as well do the also-unconventional thing of splitting the events among several cities.

Have track/field in LA, swimming/diving in Indianapolis, basketball in Chicago, etc.

That would make the most sesne.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Regionally I can see it being done but not country wide.

In a worst case scenario, you might not have a choice. The other option would be to see what facilities were left at a recent host, such as London or Bejing, and try there.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
I feel we hear this about every Olympics/World Cup and nothing is ever done.

This. It seems like their are dire warning about every venue in the past 30 years. Then they pull a miracle out of their ass.

• 1 year later...
Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics was halted by the USOC after Boston's mayor refused to guarantee funding for any shortfalls.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/07/2...pQtN/story.html

That leaves Rome, Paris, Budapest and Hamburg in the running.

I still think Indy could and should do it. An awful lot of facilities already in place and wouldn't have to build a ton of stuff.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
I still think Indy could and should do it. An awful lot of facilities already in place and wouldn't have to build a ton of stuff.

I think that'd be the only way to do it and not have it be a debacle. Aside from LA in '84 (which did exactly that) and Atlanta, I think they've all lost money for the host cities.

I think that'd be the only way to do it and not have it be a debacle. Aside from LA in '84 (which did exactly that) and Atlanta, I think they've all lost money for the host cities.

Facilities Indy (and surrounding area) already have in place:

Lucas Oil Stadium 62,421

Ross-Ade Stadium 57,236

IU Memorial Stadium 52,929

Scheumann Stadium 25,400

Bankers Life Fieldhouse 18,165

Worthen Arena 11,500

Hinkle Fieldhouse 9,200

Nicoson Hall 3,300

Convention Center configurable for lots of different events

Natatorium that has hosted NCAA championships and olympic trials

Eagle Creek Park has hosted NCAA rowing championships

East Race in South Bend has hosted kayaking olympic trials

IUPUI has a pretty nice track that could probably have temporary seating added for an olympics.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)

Lucas Oil Stadium 62,421

Ross-Ade Stadium 57,236

Scheumann Stadium 25,400

Worthen Arena 11,500

Hinkle Fieldhouse 9,200

Nicoson Hall 3,300

IUPUI has a pretty nice track that could probably have temporary seating added for an olympics.

When Indy hosted the PanAm games in the 80's, they actually did all of the sailing events in Michigan City on Lake Michigan. The IUPUI track was actually put in for the PanAm games as well, and was considered world class back then. I am sure the technology has changed since then though.

The other thing Indy has going for it is they are used to bringing in large crowds for long periods of time with the Indy 500. Downtown is laid out incredibly well with everything flowing together, instead of downtown Chicago, for example, where everything is in different places.

I could get behind an Indy bid.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)

I really don't understand why any city would want to host the Olympics.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)

Lucas Oil Stadium 62,421

Ross-Ade Stadium 57,236

Scheumann Stadium 25,400

Worthen Arena 11,500

Hinkle Fieldhouse 9,200

Nicoson Hall 3,300

http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america...s/indiana.shtml

Victory Field in Indianapolis (15,500)

Speedway (235,000)

If you count The East Race, you gotta include

Notre Dame Stadium (80,000)

Joyce Center (9,200)

http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america...s/indiana.shtml

Victory Field in Indianapolis (15,500)

Speedway (235,000)

If you count The East Race, you gotta include

Notre Dame Stadium (80,000)

Joyce Center (9,200)

I didn't include Victory Field because Baseball/Softball are no longer in the Olympics. I don't know what else you could put there.

Not sure about how to work in the Speedway. Possibly could be the ending point for the cycling road races.

ND Stadium could definitely be a soccer venue if you still need another one after using IU/Purdue/Ball State. As for the Joyce Center, I imagine there are enough arenas that are closer that it wouldn't be needed.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
I didn't include Victory Field because Baseball/Softball are no longer in the Olympics. I don't know what else you could put there.

Not sure about how to work in the Speedway. Possibly could be the ending point for the cycling road races.

ND Stadium could definitely be a soccer venue if you still need another one after using IU/Purdue/Ball State. As for the Joyce Center, I imagine there are enough arenas that are closer that it wouldn't be needed.

Imagine holding the Olympic Ceremonies at the speedway. That would be one of the most massive events ever.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Unless Eli Lilly wants to pull a Coca-Cola, Indianapolis is not coming near the olympics. It's meant for world class cities.

Indy is an odd place. It is actually set up better for an Olympic bid than Chicago is, and that is coming from someone who can't stand Indianapolis.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
China wins the vote (44-40 over Kazakhstan) for the 2022 Winter Olympics. That's three straight Olympics for East Asia (plus 18/22 World Cups in Asia). Advertisers must love this.

Asia seems to be much more concerned with "civic pride" about such events than the rest of the world does. Plus, China has the advantage of free Communist labor which means they might actually make money on the whole shindig.