2014 FIFA World Cup

So now slapping the ball off the line is shenanigans? I guess corking a bat or loading up a baseball is just shenanigans.

I think the big difference between Suarez' handball and the other types of 'shenanigans' is that Suarez did not try to hide his blatant violation of the rule, rather he made a determination that the breaking of the rule and the subsequent punishment still provided his team a better chance to win than not breaking the rule, which was absolutely correct. A player taking a pure dive in the penalty area, or to extend the analogy to baseball in a corked bat, are examples of players trying to get away with breaking the rules.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
It was the right call. The defender took out the opponents leg when he was taking a shot in the box. Im still not sure what the f*** the defender was thinking there. But yeah so pissed Greece is going through. Can't stand them.

No he didn't. He was running alongside him and the Greek player kicked the defenders leg on his back swing then kicked the ground and fell. The defender never attempted a tackle. It was incidental contact at best, a complete dive at worst.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
No he didn't. He was running alongside him and the Greek player kicked the defenders leg on his back swing then kicked the ground and fell. The defender never attempted a tackle. It was incidental contact at best, a complete dive at worst.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that's not a penalty. Just watch the gif I posted man all I can say.

I keep watching that Suarez biting incident and while the Italian player is totally the victim here, funny how a bite to the shoulder sends both guys tumbling to the ground, lol. Like a bite to that area somehow takes your legs away. Then, Suarez drops like he got shot in the mouth. I guess I'm just pointing out just how flopping in soccer is so embedded in these guys pysche, everytime I see a player go down, I'm there trying to see if it really was a legit fall or not :lol:

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

Boateng and Muntari dismissed from Ghana team. Should work in US favor.

EDIT: Muntari was already suspended today due to two yellow cards, so Boateng is the only player whose availability for today has changed.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

Suarez banned 9 international matches as well as 4 months.

Just to clarify, the 4 months is a ban on club play, and the 9 match ban is for international matches, which is anywhere from 1-4 more matches in the World Cup, and then 5-8 matches in the 2015 Copa America

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
Just to clarify, the 4 months is a ban on club play, and the 9 match ban is for international matches, which is anywhere from 1-4 more matches in the World Cup, and then 5-8 matches in the 2015 Copa America

when does the club ban start, today? So he couldn't play for his club team until 10/26 or does it start when his club season starts?

when does the club ban start, today? So he couldn't play for his club team until 10/26 or does it start when his club season starts?

Since at least one league (MLS) runs during the summer, I would think the 4 months starts today.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Yeah, Germany doesn't want to get any of their best players injured playing on a sloppy field. Better rest them all.

Unfortunately their second squad is still probably better than America's first team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Since at least one league (MLS) runs during the summer, I would think the 4 months starts today.

That wouldn't make any sense.

Surely, Liverpool's management wants to have the discipline imposed from outside so they don't have to do it themselves.

Or he's not currently under contract to them?

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
Well Uruguay is gone next round.

That was going to be an interesting "local" match with Colombia...they could still pull it off, but the odds are stacked against them now, and Colombia's been playing well despite not having their best player.

Well their second team still all plays in the EPL, for Munich or Dortmund. I think I'd take them.

But I got faith today. Weather is unbearable. Players families can't even go. Field looks horrible. Good news.

Their first team just tied a team that the US beat. The US has EPL/Bundesliga caliber players playing in MLS. Just because they are in MLS doesn't mean they are worse.