2014 FIFA World Cup

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 12:47 AM)
I gotta say 2050 or later. That's not even ten tournaments. The best teams will be happy to win one or two. Given the talent gap I saw in the last two games, hard to see the US winning four straight elimination games after advancing from the group. It's hard for some of the top teams.

For the bonus question, I need to see a list of the future hosts, cause that's when I think it's most likely a team makes a Cinderella run. If Mexico were to ever host again, they could possibly win it then. Maybe Japan? South Korea made the semifinals at home.

FIFA got South Korea into the semis. I remember there being a lot of controversy but a few weeks ago I watched a youtube video showing how dirty they were and its ridiculous. Total BS how they got past Spain and Italy. Between the cheap shots and refs taking goals away from Italy and Spain, it was disgusting.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If basketball and football were never invented, and soccer was the US most popular sport, they'd be the most powerful team in the world. Imagine athletes like Jesse Owens, Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Derrick Rose playing soccer since they were kids and with the US putting their enormous resources to develope them like they do in basketball and football, the world would have no chance, I honestly believe this. I've also heard this view being expressed in Mexico among the most respected soccer analysts, they really think highly of the US soccer program and they say the US are not that much off from being legit contenders, not favorites but serious contenders.

If I had to guess, I'd say the US will win one before Mexico, especially if they get to host one before. The US has the athletes, they just need to get technically better. Mexico has the advantage in skill (right now), but they don't have the pure athletes the US has.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
If basketball and football were never invented, and soccer was the US most popular sport, they'd be the most powerful team in the world. Imagine athletes like Jesse Owens, Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Derrick Rose playing soccer since they were kids and with the US putting their enormous resources to develope them like they do in basketball and football, the world would have no chance, I honestly believe this. I've also heard this view being expressed in Mexico among the most respected soccer analysts, they really think highly of the US soccer program and they say the US are not that much off from being legit contenders, not favorites but serious contenders.

If I had to guess, I'd say the US will win one before Mexico, especially if they get to host one before. The US has the athletes, they just need to get technically better. Mexico has the advantage in skill (right now), but they don't have the pure athletes the US has.

Just my two cents worth.

I could buy this. Soccer is somewhere around the 4th or 5th sport in America. It is far from the first thing kids dream of.

Reports that Yedlin might be moving to Roma.

I wouldnt have mind him staying in MLS for another year or two so he gets plenty of playing time but I dont know the Roma situation so hopefully this is a good thing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Saw something in the news where even the English team was looking to the US efforts as an example of how to prepare for the World Cup...and set up their national team for the future simultaneously.

England needs the FA and BPL to work together if they ever have hopes of being competitive internationally.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
Reports that Yedlin might be moving to Roma.

I wouldnt have mind him staying in MLS for another year or two so he gets plenty of playing time but I dont know the Roma situation so hopefully this is a good thing.

I think Roma is loaning him back to Seattle as the deal has been reported. Sounds like he will play with the Sounders until summer 2015. Roma has two World Cup right backs, Brazilian Maicon and Greece's Torosidis. Maicon's contract is up after this upcoming season so Yedlin can likely share time with Torosidis then. Roma is in the Champions League this season and if they get back when Yedlin arrives he should be able to play some by then. I don't see him being the starter right away unless he really impresses, but he should get enough matches.

If Roma was in the Champions League when Bradley was there he might have stayed. He wasn't good enough to beat out their midfielders. For some perspective, the guy who took Bradley's spot at Roma (Radja Nainggolan) didn't even make Belgium's World Cup roster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
Saw something in the news where even the English team was looking to the US efforts as an example of how to prepare for the World Cup...and set up their national team for the future simultaneously.

I'm listening to a BBC podcast now talking about how they think the US is the fittest team at the tournament. Training the team that hard may have resulted in all those hamstring injuries, but it earned the team some respect. England is searching for any way to get the team to play better. It might start with getting better talent. England's roster is solid, but unspectacular.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
I think Roma is loaning him back to Seattle as the deal has been reported. Sounds like he will play with the Sounders until summer 2015. Roma has two World Cup right backs, Brazilian Maicon and Greece's Torosidis. Maicon's contract is up after this upcoming season so Yedlin can likely share time with Torosidis then. Roma is in the Champions League this season and if they get back when Yedlin arrives he should be able to play some by then. I don't see him being the starter right away unless he really impresses, but he should get enough matches.

If Roma was in the Champions League when Bradley was there he might have stayed. He wasn't good enough to beat out their midfielders. For some perspective, the guy who took Bradley's spot at Roma (Radja Nainggolan) didn't even make Belgium's World Cup roster.

I'm listening to a BBC podcast now talking about how they think the US is the fittest team at the tournament. Training the team that hard may have resulted in all those hamstring injuries, but it earned the team some respect. England is searching for any way to get the team to play better. It might start with getting better talent. England's roster is solid, but unspectacular.

The only one who really impressed me with Sturridge. Sterling was okay. Rooney had his moments, especially against Uruguay...but couldn't push them over the top or convert on numerous opportunities.

That generation of players with Terry, Lampard, Michael Owen, Beckham....Gerrard was, like David Villa and Torres, a show of his former self.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 6, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
FIFA got South Korea into the semis. I remember there being a lot of controversy but a few weeks ago I watched a youtube video showing how dirty they were and its ridiculous. Total BS how they got past Spain and Italy. Between the cheap shots and refs taking goals away from Italy and Spain, it was disgusting.

Interesting, I don't remember that, but I'll have to try to look that up. That does prove my point though, the best chance for a non UEFA/CONEMBOL team to win it all is when they host it, whether it be due to the fan support or ref support.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Interesting, I don't remember that, but I'll have to try to look that up. That does prove my point though, the best chance for a non UEFA/CONEMBOL team to win it all is when they host it, whether it be due to the fan support or ref support.

I think Japan could be interesting in the next 10-15 years. They have completely changed their youth program and have brought in someone (I forget who) to help implement it. There's videos online showing kids as young as 4 or 5 working on skills on the ball. I think of anyone outside of UEFA/CONCACAF to win other than USA/Mexico, I'd put Japan as next most likely

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
I think Japan could be interesting in the next 10-15 years. They have completely changed their youth program and have brought in someone (I forget who) to help implement it. There's videos online showing kids as young as 4 or 5 working on skills on the ball. I think of anyone outside of UEFA/CONCACAF to win other than USA/Mexico, I'd put Japan as next most likely

Is this how their women's team became so strong? The US probably should have won that final in 11, but Japan was far better on the ball.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
Is this how their women's team became so strong? The US probably should have won that final in 11, but Japan was far better on the ball.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sport...d_football.html

Really good article about it if you're a soccer fan. Tom Byer is the man's name. And I guess he's now doing the same thing in China

Both very good and worthwhile articles if you're interested.

3 1/2 hours to match kickoff.

Any predictions?

Seems it's too easy to pick Germany with Silva and Neymar out. Maybe they'll get overconfident and the Brazilians will unite together and play more cohesively to make up for the lost of two key components.

Edited by caulfield12