One of the worst Sox losses I've ever witnessed

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious, for anyone out there who really likes Robin Ventura.

What, in your mind, is he one of the five or ten best managers in MLB at doing? What aspect of his job does he excel in?

A couple of seasons ago, I would have said he has the right amount of patience and that "player's manager" feel...but without all the baggage and unpredictability of an Ozzie Guillen. We also knew he was never going to be a great post-game interview or wizard dealing with the press/media, such an important role for modern-day managers.

With how the defense and fundamentals haven't clearly improved coming off last year's debacle...and yet with new players at many position, you start to wonder if the institutional culture (outside of Cooper) needs to be changed at the big league level.

If it wasn't for the fortune of bidding on Jose Abreu in the perfect offseason for him to be available, this team would be 5-10 games under .500 and foundering, with no or little help available from the minors other than Rodon (assuming he signs).

Edited by caulfield12

His defenders will say who could have done better with all the injuries this season...overcoming all that adversity and not completely imploding again like 2013.

Does he get the credit for being the strong/steady hand behind the wheel or just receiving the fortune/benefit of Hahn's roster? Does Cooper get more, holding things together without Sale/Johnson/Paulino, surviving with Noesi/Rienzo/Carroll/Leesman and creating a credible bullpen out of scraps, rookies and unwanted veterans in Putnam, Belisario, Petricka and Webb?

Dunn said it himself...even if they hadn't made ANY changes coming into the year, there's no way that should have been a 99 loss team based on the talent on that roster.

Did not see the game. Actually turned on the radio for the Trout at bat.

Just wondering how Ventura lost the game?

not disagreeing. Just wondering what moves he failed to make:

Leaving Sale in too long?

Farmer and DJ said Sale threw a bad pitch to Trout -- a change up over the plate after he showed that he could not handle the fastball.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:36 AM)

Farmer and DJ said Sale threw a bad pitch to Trout -- a change up over the plate after he showed that he could not handle the fastball.

At the end of the 7th inning inning Sale let up 2 hits before recording the 3rd out. He was at around 90-92 pitches. He came out for the 8th (no problems), let up a single, Alexei bobbles a sure out at 2nd (Sale is not up to 100 pitches with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs), Sale then lets up another hit to make it bases loaded, another hit to score a run, and then Coop came out to talk to Sale who was at 115 or so pitches and left him in to face Trout and gave up a grand slam on a 3-2 pitch.... You make the judgement

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:36 AM)

It was not a strike. It was a change-up low that only Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, and maybe Giancarlo Stanton could take out for a HR. Most would ground out or line out to CF. A agree he should have kept pumping that fastball, but it really wasn't a bad location. Just a phenomenal hitter.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:40 AM)
At the end of the 7th inning inning Sale let up 2 hits before recording the 3rd out. He was at around 90-92 pitches. He came out for the 8th (no problems), let up a single, Alexei bobbles a sure out at 2nd (Sale is not up to 100 pitches with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs), Sale then lets up another hit to make it bases loaded, another hit to score a run, and then Coop came out to talk to Sale who was at 115 or so pitches and left him in to face Trout and gave up a grand slam on a 3-2 pitch.... You make the judgement

Pretty close, but actually it was a leadoff double on a bloop down the LF line. Then a single up the middle scored the runner to make it 5-1. Then came Alexei's error on the DP ball and the rest of what you spoke of.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:43 AM)
Pretty close, but actually it was a leadoff double on a bloop down the LF line. Then a single up the middle scored the runner to make it 5-1. Then came Alexei's error on the DP ball and the rest of what you spoke of.

Sorry. Thanks for correcting me though. That makes it even worse lol..

Ok so:

2 singles with 2 outs in the 7th and gets out of it. Lead off double in the 8th, single up the middle to score a run (100 pitches now), grounder to Alexei's right, does his leg slide thing, bobbles on the transfer to throw it, another single (now bases loaded), Coop comes out and talks to Sale (115 pitches) and then he gives up a home run to Trout on a 3-2 pitch down in the zone

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
Ok so:

2 singles with 2 outs in the 7th and gets out of it. Lead off double in the 8th, single up the middle to score a run (100 pitches now), grounder to Alexei's right, does his leg slide thing, bobbles on the transfer to throw it, another single (now bases loaded), Coop comes out and talks to Sale (115 pitches) and then he gives up a home run to Trout on a 3-2 pitch down in the zone

Yes. And right after Alexei's error is where I would have pulled him, although I don't think the bullpen started warming up yet until the run scored on the previous batter. I feel like that moment probably took the air out of Sale, or at the very least pissed him off. Whether or not it affected him, I'm not sure, but i had just had a bad feeling at that moment. Not getting the bullpen going at the beginning of the inning was probably the biggest mistake, IMO. But not sure if that's on Coop or Robin. I feel like I usually see Coop picking up the phone to the bullpen.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:58 AM)
Yes. And right after Alexei's error is where I would have pulled him, although I don't think the bullpen started warming up yet until the run scored on the previous batter. I feel like that moment probably took the air out of Sale, or at the very least pissed him off. Whether or not it affected him, I'm not sure, but i had just had a bad feeling at that moment. Not getting the bullpen going at the beginning of the inning was probably the biggest mistake, IMO. But not sure if that's on Coop or Robin. I feel like I usually see Coop picking up the phone to the bullpen.

Me and you have been on the same page.. Actually I would have taken him out after giving up the run. Would have had Putnam up to come in to try and get the DP. But I really had no problem with Petricka being up, just not my preference.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 12:27 AM)
I'm just curious, for anyone out there who really likes Robin Ventura.

What, in your mind, is he one of the five or ten best managers in MLB at doing? What aspect of his job does he excel in?

A couple of seasons ago, I would have said he has the right amount of patience and that "player's manager" feel...but without all the baggage and unpredictability of an Ozzie Guillen. We also knew he was never going to be a great post-game interview or wizard dealing with the press/media, such an important role for modern-day managers.

With how the defense and fundamentals haven't clearly improved coming off last year's debacle...and yet with new players at many position, you start to wonder if the institutional culture (outside of Cooper) needs to be changed at the big league level.

If it wasn't for the fortune of bidding on Jose Abreu in the perfect offseason for him to be available, this team would be 5-10 games under .500 and foundering, with no or little help available from the minors other than Rodon (assuming he signs).

Outside of Cooper...Who probably had a big say in when he should have been taken out.