Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
On that note, it's funny to read the national opinion of the Blackhawks. It's very easy to get caught up in the bubble of following the team every day, and to be frustrated with this and that, but they really have turned into the Red Wings of this generation. They are now the most veteran team in the playoffs in terms of experience, are seemingly always in the hunt for the Cup, and even when they have to "start over", it's more of a reload than a re-tool.

I'm not saying everything is perfect, but we are going to look back on this team in 20 years and shake our head at how good of a run they really had.

After living through the bottom of the era, including the worst franchise in sports title., I am loving every single minute of it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
It's borderline unrealistic to expect them to be Cup contenders every season with the salary cup the way it currently is. Even with the core.

But as you said, they will always be in the playoff hunt with 19-88-2-7-4 on the roster. It's the job of the front office to plug and play guys while they re-tool on the fly to get them back to contenders. It's moves like these that accomplish that, and I respect the hell out of them for it. (And again, there have been some big misses as well, like Pirri, Hayes, ect).

Just look at the Penguins. They were supposed to be built on the same model as the Blackhawks, get a couple top stars then plug and play the rest of the roster. 6 years later, they haven't won a game in the conference championship round.

For all the credit Rocky & crew receive (and they have done plenty of good things), it is funny that the majority of top players were acquired during the old regime.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 07:55 AM)
Just look at the Penguins. They were supposed to be built on the same model as the Blackhawks, get a couple top stars then plug and play the rest of the roster. 6 years later, they haven't won a game in the conference championship round.

For all the credit Rocky & crew receive (and they have done plenty of good things), it is funny that the majority of top players were acquired during the old regime.

I firmly believe this is the Quenville difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)

it is the most excellent and accurate answer. get a coach who is like an OCD kind of a coach and draft 2 excellent players, and get 2 excellent fa's and 3 top dman. there is your recipe for success.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 01:55 PM)

yeah Rocky has done ok, but you nailed it. it was the old regime that got those players. so far, Rocky's players hasn't done much.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)

Yeah, as frustrating as he can be with his affinity for certain players, there is no doubt he has gotten results on the ice. And given how other teams haven't been able to maintain as long, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
I'm happy about this, but does anyone know why he wasn't drafted originally if he's so good?

Well the link says "Oddly never drafted despite sporting an impressive resume", so that is a good question. It sounds like he is undersized and slowly improved year by year, so I guess he was just overlooked until this breakout season?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
Yeah, as frustrating as he can be with his affinity for certain players, there is no doubt he has gotten results on the ice. And given how other teams haven't been able to maintain as long, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

He's one of the all time greats, of course he makes a difference.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)

I saw it said before, but the Blackhawks have turned into the Red Wings of a decade ago. A few mainstay stars, with a constantly changing cast around them. Management brings in pieces to complement the stars. The biggest thing that management has done right is to manage the cap really well since the GM change, and not have to have a purge that involved the top level of players. Sure we have moved some talent, but the mainstays are still here.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
Surprisingly no posts on the Hawks 3-0 lead after 1 against the Wild. 3 goals on 1st 7 shots. Saad , Kane, Kruger with the goals.

It's not on tv for quite a few folks tonight

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 2, 2015 -> 12:57 AM)
It was on NBCSN just like it always is until they switched to NHL network when NBCSN covered the OT between the Lightning and Canadians

Apparently NHL network isn't on the basic Comcast package. But that's what you get subscribing to s*** Comcast.