2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:58 AM)
Gotta love writing off 19-year old kids that have never played a game in the NBA! #analysis

I'm not writing him off, I just find the hype train on the board for this kid ridiculous. He is raw as hell. He left early because he hated Alford, which probably shows good character, but it remains that he didn't play a lot of college basketball, and when he did play that when the conference play began is when all that space to work with disappeared.

He might end up great, but he's a project. Unless he made huge strides in the offseason I doubt you see much of a Lavine/Wiggins lineup.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Too early to say. I'd like to think it's bright, but given how young this roster is, it's going to take a few years to see what we've really got. Our entire re-re-re-re-re-re-rebuild relies on one of the key guys we added this offseason (mainly Wiggins or LaVine) turning into a star which is unlikely for any 19-year old kid, but given the situation we were in entering the offseason, it's a gamble that probably needed to be taken.

What did you think about a lot of the "Love isnt a leader", "Love is a 4th quarter wallflower" and "Love is a stat padder" stuff thrown his way as he went out the door?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
The next Tyrus Thomas.

He showed much more basketball sense than Thomas. But he's gotta learn the point, that's a hard enough transition from HS to College, but even harder college to pros.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:12 PM)
From Twitter it sounds like Rose played awful again. 3 out of 4 games now... Let's hope it's just rust.

He looked good in the first exhibition game and the practice, so that was 2 good games. The last game, other then not being very aggressive on offense, he looked pretty solid, making a lot of good passes, etc. No idea this game as I haven't watched it yet, but I haven't thought he looked bad at all. He is much less aggressive in terms of looking for his shot though, but that seems to be his nature when he has other guys playing around him. Everyone seems to say he's been good defensively, although my perspective is he's been pretty horrific defensively and spends too much time standing around, etc.

Chances are that the guy is going to have to get some s***ty play out of his system. That is, he's going to have to acclimate himself to playing high level basketball. The more he does that in non-NBA games, the better.

A few days ago we were freaking out at knee soreness, now he comes off the bench and plays mediocre and we freak out.

It's exhibition games. It's a way for him to get back into the swing of things, but we should evaluate him on what we are seeing. Unless he is limping up and down the floor, of course

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
I'm not worried about his play at all. As long as the explosiveness is there everything else will come back with time.

I'm just glad he's playing and getting his feet wet again. I'll worry if he's struggling in the first 10 games with the Bulls.

Key right now is health and getting the rust out. Fact that the guy is already holding his own is impressive enough. The practices is where he is probably learning the most anyway, although exhibitions are good for him to challenge his body and help with conditioning. That said, system is very selfish right now with a lot of iso play and Rose has never been one to really be aggressive on teams full of other stars. He's getting minutes and not hurting the team and he's actually shown some good passing which is nice.

At this point, his health is less of a challenge. It's really hard to be away from the game for as long as he has - it will be tough to declare when he's officially "back" because it could take a really long time for him to get back into prime basketball condition, which isn't purely physical.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I'm not writing him off, I just find the hype train on the board for this kid ridiculous. He is raw as hell. He left early because he hated Alford, which probably shows good character, but it remains that he didn't play a lot of college basketball, and when he did play that when the conference play began is when all that space to work with disappeared.

He might end up great, but he's a project. Unless he made huge strides in the offseason I doubt you see much of a Lavine/Wiggins lineup.

What's this 'hype train' you're referring to? As someone that follows the team, there really hasn't been that much hype around him other than some viral stuff around his dunks (which is separate from being a good basketball player.. just ask Derrick Williams).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
What did you think about a lot of the "Love isnt a leader", "Love is a 4th quarter wallflower" and "Love is a stat padder" stuff thrown his way as he went out the door?

I don't think Love is much of a leader in the locker room, but he's still one of the best 5-10 players in the world (and won't need to lead in Cleveland at all thanks to LeBron). He's also had the worst supporting staff of any superstar (by far) in recent history, and the Western Conference has been extremely stacked. It's not that tough to see why the Wolves haven't made the playoffs during his tenure.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
"I would go 0-30 before I would go 0-9. 0-9 means you beat yourself, you psyched yourself out of the game." - Kobe Bryant

"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'

-Wayne Gretzky"

-Michael Scott

QUOTE (Felix @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
What's this 'hype train' you're referring to? As someone that follows the team, there really hasn't been that much hype around him other than some viral stuff around his dunks (which is separate from being a good basketball player.. just ask Derrick Williams).

I don't think Love is much of a leader in the locker room, but he's still one of the best 5-10 players in the world (and won't need to lead in Cleveland at all thanks to LeBron). He's also had the worst supporting staff of any superstar (by far) in recent history, and the Western Conference has been extremely stacked. It's not that tough to see why the Wolves haven't made the playoffs during his tenure.

Just stop. A top 5-10 guy gets his team to be at least 8th best, even in a tough conference. I don't care who his supporting cast is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Pretty clear from my post:

"I just find the hype train on the board"

How many people have really hyped him on the board though? A bunch of us have said he'll at least be exciting to watch cause he can jump high, I don't think anyone has went overboard saying he's a stud or anything. There have been more people here declaring him a bust than anything.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
How many people have really hyped him on the board though? A bunch of us have said he'll at least be exciting to watch cause he can jump high, I don't think anyone has went overboard saying he's a stud or anything. There have been more people here declaring him a bust than anything.

Eh, pre-draft there was a lot of people gushing over him, but I would need Quinarvy to put something together to see if it was just one superfan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
Eh, pre-draft there was a lot of people gushing over him, but I would need Quinarvy to put something together to see if it was just one superfan.

:lol:

I will not be doing this because I'm not into self-incrimination, because I definitely was on the LaVine hype train.

I think he'll be exciting. I think Rubio is a great pairing for him and alongside Wiggins they should dunk all over the place. He has the tools, hopefully the brain as well.