2014-2015 NBA thread

Thibs was playing a lineup of Brooks, Snell, McD, Nazr and Bairstow in OT against Drummond, Monroe and Jennings.

Thibs really seems to at least have gotten it that there's no reason to risk anything in preseason. Last year Gibson/Noah/Deng/Butler/Rose would have trotted out to keep our undefeated preseason alive.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Thibs really seems to at least have gotten it that there's no reason to risk anything in preseason. Last year Gibson/Noah/Deng/Butler/Rose would have trotted out to keep our undefeated preseason alive.

yep, seems so... never been so happy about 0-2 in preseason before :)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
wow, Pacers locked up Vogel

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11664029...-indiana-pacers

I thought they would take a cautious route with him seeing how that team swan dived in the second half last season

Can they really fire him based on 2014-2015 if they didn't fire him after 2013-2014?

They've lost George. There's literally nothing he can do to keep them from having a worse record. At least sign the thing now and see what they can build in 2015-2016.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)
Can they really fire him based on 2014-2015 if they didn't fire him after 2013-2014?

They've lost George. There's literally nothing he can do to keep them from having a worse record. At least sign the thing now and see what they can build in 2015-2016.

Why extend him, i would watch how he handles this season. If another locker room mutiny happens, regardless of personnel that is on the HC, that cannot be tolerated

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Why extend him, i would watch how he handles this season. If another locker room mutiny happens, regardless of personnel that is on the HC, that cannot be tolerated

How are you going to judge that other than by "the sudden drop in performance, wins, and losses" if the team has already had a sudden drop in performance, wins, and losses associated with a terrible injury to their best player (and FA departure of their ~3rd/4th best player).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
How are you going to judge that other than by "the sudden drop in performance, wins, and losses" if the team has already had a sudden drop in performance, wins, and losses associated with a terrible injury to their best player (and FA departure of their ~3rd/4th best player).

Ok balta, you are right. He is good. Sign him to the Dunn deal that Wite proposed. Disregard anything that happened last season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Eh, it's not that hard to fire a coach.

Basically, there's virtually zero chance that they'll fire him this season since George is rehabbing. If his contract ends at the end of this year, basically the question is whether they want him back in 2015 or they're going to let him be a free agent (some team, of course, would pay good money to sign a guy with a conference finals appearance in recent memory).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Basically, there's virtually zero chance that they'll fire him this season since George is rehabbing. If his contract ends at the end of this year, basically the question is whether they want him back in 2015 or they're going to let him be a free agent (some team, of course, would pay good money to sign a guy with a conference finals appearance in recent memory).

Given the internal issues they had, I don't know how you can state that. If they aren't as good because of George but overachieve based upon their talent or show signs of development, etc, then I don't see the issue. You judge him based upon the current roster / expectations. You don't go, oh they won less games this year, we should fire him. Everything you do and how you judge it is based upon a variety of factors, most specifically, how he handles the roster this year, how players develop, how the team performs compared to internal expectations, etc.

If they have internal issues again this year and thus it becomes more of a theme, then he should be fired, especially since they have lost both guys who were supposedly the primary guys who brought some of those lockerroom issues.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
He's one of the few "turns chicken s*** into chicken dinner" coaches around. Might as well sign him up, especially considering the preponderance of chicken s*** they have over there

You look at who they have developed and its pretty impressive. I think he's a good coach and one of the better ones in the league and if things go wrong, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't the end of the world to let him go. The idea of having a lame duck coach is usually a disaster in this league and is a pretty good bet at having more lockeroom issues as players often question the coaches authority a lot more in those situations.

I always get a kick out of the people who tend to put heat on coaches who have generally gotten more out of their teams then expected.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Given the internal issues they had, I don't know how you can state that. If they aren't as good because of George but overachieve based upon their talent or show signs of development, etc, then I don't see the issue. You judge him based upon the current roster / expectations. You don't go, oh they won less games this year, we should fire him. Everything you do and how you judge it is based upon a variety of factors, most specifically, how he handles the roster this year, how players develop, how the team performs compared to internal expectations, etc.

If they have internal issues again this year and thus it becomes more of a theme, then he should be fired, especially since they have lost both guys who were supposedly the primary guys who brought some of those lockerroom issues.

What do they have that they're actually trying to develop? They picked at the bottom of the first round each of the last couple years. Do they actually have some young player somewhere I don't know about who is key to their future, or wouldn't that instead be much more likely to occur in the 2015 draft?

I mean, with George and Stephenson both gone, would anyone honestly be surprised if that was a mid-lottery team this year?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Ok balta, you are right. He is good. Sign him to the Dunn deal that Wite proposed. Disregard anything that happened last season.

Which one? I've proposed a lot of deals to get Dunn back on the south side.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
What do they have that they're actually trying to develop? They picked at the bottom of the first round each of the last couple years. Do they actually have some young player somewhere I don't know about who is key to their future, or wouldn't that instead be much more likely to occur in the 2015 draft?

I mean, with George and Stephenson both gone, would anyone honestly be surprised if that was a mid-lottery team this year?

Since when is the last year or two what matter? They have current players and they have developed guys like Lance Stephenson and Hill and even to an extent George who were not high high draft picks. George, being the highest of the pick. The reason they are where they are is because they have hit and drafted serviceable players and coached up and developed their picks, not because they have mad tons of FA signings or had the top pick in a stacked draft. And a lot of that development happened under their existing coaching staff.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Since when is the last year or two what matter? They have current players and they have developed guys like Lance Stephenson and Hill and even to an extent George who were not high high draft picks. George, being the highest of the pick. The reason they are where they are is because they have hit and drafted serviceable players and coached up and developed their picks, not because they have mad tons of FA signings or had the top pick in a stacked draft. And a lot of that development happened under their existing coaching staff.

Don't ask me this, ask it to the person confused about why they extended him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
For some reason I was thinking you were confused about the extension.

No, I thought it made sense. If you were going to fire him for the way 2014 ended, it should have happened in June, and if they kept him through that there's virtually nothing short of doing coke hits off of Paul George's exposed bone that should get him fired this year IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
For some reason I was thinking you were confused about the extension.

I just said they could have watched him this season and see how he reacted. Him getting to the conference finals was the East sucking more than Indiana dominating.

Watching Cavs/Heat on espn news. I know it's preseason and all. But let's keep it 100. The Cavs are going to be filthy sick. They're going to be the best offensive, passing and rebounding team in the league. They've got the perfect mix of youth/vets. They're deep. The floor-spacing is going to be GOAT level. Only three teams with a shot are Spurs, Thunder and Clippers. That's it.