2014-2015 NBA thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)

He made Kyrie look foolish.

There's a few things Kyrie Irving is good at, defense is not one of them.

The Cavs are going to have some struggles at the start. The Big 3 in Miami had 3 solid defensive players in LeBron, Bosh, and Wade. Love and Irving have yet to prove themselves as defensive assets. In fact, they're more likely to be defensive holes than assets at this point. It'll be interesting to say the least.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
They'll be able to cover it up enough. Just interesting if they'll be basically the Houston Rockets of the east. They may be good enough even with that to get to finals. Noah looks really weak right now.

I don't think they'll be that bad defensively. But I also don't think they'll be as good offensively at the start.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
He made Kyrie look foolish.

There's a few things Kyrie Irving is good at, defense is not one of them.

The Cavs are going to have some struggles at the start. The Big 3 in Miami had 3 solid defensive players in LeBron, Bosh, and Wade. Love and Irving have yet to prove themselves as defensive assets. In fact, they're more likely to be defensive holes than assets at this point. It'll be interesting to say the least.

Kryie actually played pretty good defense this summer in the tournament. I think a lot of people are underselling Kryie and the strides he seems to have made to his game. His big thing is staying healthy (similar to Rose although Kryie is clearly the better guy to bet on in terms of good health).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Kryie actually played pretty good defense this summer in the tournament. I think a lot of people are underselling Kryie and the strides he seems to have made to his game. His big thing is staying healthy (similar to Rose although Kryie is clearly the better guy to bet on in terms of good health).

It's pretty easy to look good defensively when you're not playing against NBA talent the majority of the time though.

I'm still not sold on him defensively.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
It's pretty easy to look good defensively when you're not playing against NBA talent the majority of the time though.

I'm still not sold on him defensively.

Defense is much more about attitude then skill. If you want to play D, with his athleticism, he should be a great player. Yes, you need some athleticism but a lot of being a good defender has to do with focusing on it and bringing the energy and intensity necessary on the other end of the court. Lebron is going to bring the best out of the Cavs defense. Plus he's just an insanely talented defensive player. A generational defender (let alone his offensive game). Dude is just incredible and to be frank, I can't help but root for him despite my immediate disdain after the decision.

I actually think the Bulls and Cavs will struggle relative to their talent levels in the first half of the season but by the time the playoffs roll around they'll be the only 2 teams that matter in the east. That's assuming Derrick's health of course.

That seems almost certain, especially with Gasol and Noah. That said, when Rose was having his way my god the spacing was beautiful with Gasol being a legit threat to start outside and work in (if necessary).

Lebron though, that dude is gonna be able to coast this year. Playoffs he's gonna be much better off this year.

Blatt was just having Love hangout at 3point line. Guessing he's holding things close to his chest for now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
I don't think they'll be that bad defensively. But I also don't think they'll be as good offensively at the start.

I don't know, the benefit is the Rockets had Asik/Howard to run people into. The Cavs have better wing defense but worse big men defense. Irving/waiters are so easy to penetrate and there is nothing behind them. Luckily, the east doesn't have very good shooting.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
KC Johnson tweeted that Noah is going to wear a knee brace all season. Apparently his recovery is not going as expected.

Is that because of his recovery not going as expected or more just a precautionary matter?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Defense is much more about attitude then skill. If you want to play D, with his athleticism, he should be a great player. Yes, you need some athleticism but a lot of being a good defender has to do with focusing on it and bringing the energy and intensity necessary on the other end of the court. Lebron is going to bring the best out of the Cavs defense. Plus he's just an insanely talented defensive player. A generational defender (let alone his offensive game). Dude is just incredible and to be frank, I can't help but root for him despite my immediate disdain after the decision.

Defense at the PG position is also pretty overrated as long as you don't have a guy who is a complete trainwreck defensively which Kyrie shouldn't be. Scheme, rebounding and rim protection are the keys to being a really good defensive team for the most part (obviously it helps if you have guys like Pippen, Payton, etc. who are fantastic on ball defenders though).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)
Defense at the PG position is also pretty overrated as long as you don't have a guy who is a complete trainwreck defensively which Kyrie shouldn't be. Scheme, rebounding and rim protection are the keys to being a really good defensive team for the most part (obviously it helps if you have guys like Pippen, Payton, etc. who are fantastic on ball defenders though).

A team like Cleveland is also going to be able to play more help/recovery defense with guys like Verajo, LeBron, and company behind Irving.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
A team like Cleveland is also going to be able to play more help/recovery defense with guys like Verajo, LeBron, and company behind Irving.

That just opens stuff up. If Rose can do what he did the other night, that's going to be difficult for Cleveland to recover from assuming McBuckets or Mirotic or Dunleavy are hitting outside shots.

And then they'll put Lebron on Rose.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
All I have heard is there was a measure designed to prevent teams from tanking, but I haven't read anything specific

The bottom 4 records would each receive the same %age chance in the lottery so no longer an advantage to being worst. The vote was 17-13 in favor or something like that and IIRC it needed 22 or 23 to pass.