Sox willing to deal Beckham in "right deal now"

Heads22

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Perspective: Carlos Quentin was a 2WAR player when we traded him. We got jack squat in return. Viciedo and Beckham have negative WARs.

Well, not all 2 War players return one prospect. The Sox just made a hasty and misguided trade. They made several similar to that around that time.

QUOTE (striker @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Perspective: Carlos Quentin was a 2WAR player when we traded him. We got jack squat in return. Viciedo and Beckham have negative WARs.

More perspective, Carlos Quentin was injured when he was traded

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Yes, but the Sox got zilch, although there wasn't much complaining about it at the time.

And Pedro Hernandez was part of the trade that sent Liriano over to the Sox, for whatever that's worth.

Speaking of Quentin, he's been absolutely brutal this year. You wonder if maybe, finally, years and years of being injured has finally caught up to him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
And Pedro Hernandez was part of the trade that sent Liriano over to the Sox, for whatever that's worth.

Speaking of Quentin, he's been absolutely brutal this year. You wonder if maybe, finally, years and years of being injured has finally caught up to him.

He is playing hurt. When he was in town he could barely make it down the first base line. But I wonder if he will ever even play 100 games in a season again.

It's too bad. If he could have remained healthy, he would have been a beast. What surprises me is as far as I can tell, none of his injuries which has caused him to miss time are the result of HBP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN · 34m

Gordon Beckham is making $4.18m this year, and some evaluators believe White Sox will have to buy down at least some $ to move him pre-7/31.

So he's owed like 1.5M the rest of the way?? Throw in half that and get whatever you can.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
He is playing hurt. When he was in town he could barely make it down the first base line. But I wonder if he will ever even play 100 games in a season again.

It's too bad. If he could have remained healthy, he would have been a beast. What surprises me is as far as I can tell, none of his injuries which has caused him to miss time are the result of HBP.

definitely not HBP, but rather punching things. Which was great for the Sox at the time

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
Beckham is bound to rebound at least a little bit. If someone picks him up for nothing and the Sox take on some money, they will get a bargain.

And I'd be fine with that. I was right there with you earlier this season defending Gordon, talking about how maybe Steverson actually tapped into that potential, but over the last month or 2 that thought went out the window.

Even if he does go somewhere else and lights it up, the time is now to get whatever you can.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Beckham is bound to rebound at least a little bit. If someone picks him up for nothing and the Sox take on some money, they will get a bargain.

Yeah, but "rebounding" to his career rates puts him at .246/.309/.378 (84 wRC+). Anyone can get hot, but Beckham is simply not a good ML baseball player.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Perhaps, but even you would admit Beckham makes zero sense on this team next year right?

If he hits like he has the last month, yes. His swing looks really long to me right now. He was really short earlier when he was hitting. I still don't think Semien, Sanchez or Micah are sure bets though.

Edited by Dick Allen

The more you look at Beckham and what he makes, it would be insane for anyone to give up anything of value for him. He is beyond bad. Career OPS+ of 84 and a current OPS+ of 76. We should just DFA Gordon....we aren't going to get anything for him and the more at bats we give him at this point, with someone like Semien, etc, who at least haven't had the book written on them yet, the better.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
The more you look at Beckham and what he makes, it would be insane for anyone to give up anything of value for him. He is beyond bad. Career OPS+ of 84 and a current OPS+ of 76. We should just DFA Gordon....we aren't going to get anything for him and the more at bats we give him at this point, with someone like Semien, etc, who at least haven't had the book written on them yet, the better.

Someone will take him if we eat some salary, but he won't bring anything significant in return. Honestly, if I were Hahn I'd take on most of his remaining salary and hope for an A ball lottery ticket. We are better off giving Semien or Sanchez the ABs and I personally think Marcus would be an improvement right now. Beckham really needs to go by July 31st.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Someone will take him if we eat some salary, but he won't bring anything significant in return. Honestly, if I were Hahn I'd take on most of his remaining salary and hope for an A ball lottery ticket. We are better off giving Semien or Sanchez the ABs and I personally think Marcus would be an improvement right now. Beckham really needs to go by July 31st.

I think if we released Beckham, there is a pretty decent chance he would go unclaimed, meaning, under any scenario, we are going to have to include cash just to get someone to take on and pay part of his salary. I could be wrong though and maybe someone would put a claim on him and pay the remainder of his salary. To be honest, I'd be ecstatic if I was Hahn and could just dump the contract without sending over cash. Anything else is pure gravy and either way with him off the roster, we can start giving at bats to guys who may be part of our future plans.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
The Pirates have just recalled Brent Morel.

Beckham can play 3rd. We FINALLY have a spot where Beckham would be a big upgrade.

I wish Morel the best. Always liked him. Is he healthy finally?

Poor Beckham. One of the biggest busts in Sox history considering where he was picked?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:29 AM)
I think the Sox are covered at first. I dont know why you want another first baseman(Howard), but I am fairly sure that the Sox will be using Abreu going forward

DH....and resting Abreu occasionally

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
The Pirates have just recalled Brent Morel.

Beckham can play 3rd. We FINALLY have a spot where Beckham would be a big upgrade.

Just an injury replacement. They don't burn an option on a guy they like and if they lose Morel to waivers (they won't), they don't care.

He's really fallen off. There was a time when he hit .320 in the minors. He's hit something like .250/.320/.350 this year at the minor league level. Back troubles man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 01:56 AM)
I wish Morel the best. Always liked him. Is he healthy finally?

Poor Beckham. One of the biggest busts in Sox history considering where he was picked?

No. The guy was in the majors and was a regular for 5 seasons.

Top 6 picks of the 1985 draft:

Brewers - BJ Surhoff (34.3 WAR)

Giants - Will Clark (56.2 WAR)

Rangers - Bobby Witt (15.1 bWAR)

Reds - Barry Larkin (70.1 WAR)

White Sox - Kurt Brown (never played in majors)

Pirates - Barry Bonds (162.4 WAR)