2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
It may be a waste. I was just responding to your post wondering what would happen if he couldn't make the transition to a starter.

I'd much rather draft a starter than a reliever at #8 for sure. Jay is more risky in that aspect because we don't know how easily he'll make the transition from reliever to full time starter.

i hope you didn't take this as a searing attack against you. i was intending to address all who thinks that Jay is the way to go. i remember before the season started, Jay's coaches were trying to make him a starter. but i can easily point and say, they or he failed. but the proof is in their performance so far in the college playoff.

i am not a coach, i do not have the knowledge nor the resources to know these answers that i asked, but as a fan, i just don't know. too much of a risk for me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
no offense, it will be a waste of a #8 pick. a #8 for a closer where others can be used to fill in. this system has major holes that needs to be address, one of those holes is not for the pen nor closer of the future.

He has 3 plus pitches. Anyone taking him in the top 10 is pretty certain that he can start.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
www.fangraphs.com/scoutboard.aspx

This is also a very handy tool...Cornelius Randolph has shot up all the way to the 10-15 spot. Haven't heard much about him. 3B. HS kid.

the biggest question is whether his defense will continue to be good enuf to stay at short. great bat and many mock people still hopes his hit tools will continue to grow.

he might wind up at 3b. and he has plus defense if he moves to 3b.

ok sox fans, i got this big rush of adrenaline fron today's game thread ...... the draft countdown is starting and i feel as this will be an unknown pick. the major pitchers may be gone. so who will the sox pick at #8?

which players are going to drop to the 4 round and later. i see several injured prospects that is flying under the radar. which prep will be avail??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
ok sox fans, i got this big rush of adrenaline fron today's game thread ...... the draft countdown is starting and i feel as this will be an unknown pick. the major pitchers may be gone. so who will the sox pick at #8?

which players are going to drop to the 4 round and later. i see several injured prospects that is flying under the radar. which prep will be avail??

Anyone with insider that can send me the Keith Law mock? My insider ran out on Monday and I haven't gotten a chance to renew it yet.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Anyone with insider that can send me the Keith Law mock? My insider ran out on Monday and I haven't gotten a chance to renew it yet.

not I, wish i could help.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)

Nobody that they can realistically afford if they go slot at #8. Losing 2nd and 3rd round picks really hurts the draft allotment quite a bit. I'd start studying up on college seniors.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Nobody that they can realistically afford if they go slot at #8. Losing 2nd and 3rd round picks really hurts the draft allotment quite a bit. I'd start studying up on college seniors.

but the key is #8 pick. this is a top 10 pick and therefore that player should be an impact type player whether it is a college or hs'er. ref hs'er he needs to ooze potential to warrant a top 10 pick.

then comes in the strategy picks for some team looking toward the future growth.

just my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)

For their first pick? I've heard nothing to suggest they'll have to go cheap with the 8th pick.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
No for rounds 4-10 he's saying will be the college seniors.

Ah yes, which is ok with me. Rather try to get at least one impact, close to the majors talent as opposed to a few wild cards.

Keith Law's latest mock has Tyler Jay and Carson Fulmer on the board for the Sox and they select.....

Carson Fulmer.

Zzzzzzzzz

"Analysis: I've heard Fulmer and Jay placed here the most, with James Kaprielian and Missouri State right-handed pitcher Jon Harris also on their short list."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
For their first pick? I've heard nothing to suggest they'll have to go cheap with the 8th pick.

No. LDF specifically mentioned HS guys that may fall. White Sox won't have overspending later (rounds 4-10) as an option this year unless they go way under in round 1 which I don't see them doing.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:35 PM)
Keith Law's latest mock has Tyler Jay and Carson Fulmer on the board for the Sox and they select.....

Carson Fulmer.

Zzzzzzzzz

"Analysis: I've heard Fulmer and Jay placed here the most, with James Kaprielian and Missouri State right-handed pitcher Jon Harris also on their short list."

while Fulmer has a nice sets of tools. but his past signing venture has to come into my mind. he was selected before, somewhere in the teens. he wanted more money than the team who selected was offering.

now with the slot allotted money, will that be ok?? who is his advisor???

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:44 AM)
while Fulmer has a nice sets of tools. but his past signing venture has to come into my mind. he was selected before, somewhere in the teens. he wanted more money than the team who selected was offering.

now with the slot allotted money, will that be ok?? who is his advisor???

He wasn't drafted until the 15th round of high school when he didn't sign. There won't be issues signing him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
No. LDF specifically mentioned HS guys that may fall. White Sox won't have overspending later (rounds 4-10) as an option this year unless they go way under in round 1 which I don't see them doing.

thanks. that first pick#8, they the hawks oops the sox will prob swing for the fence.

but that is what i am saying, who??? i am just overly excited. the unknown.

Edited by LDF

Of all the players in the draft, Fulmer would be the dumbest to not sign (besides for college seniors). He had a fantastic year, and all the issues scouts have with him won't go away by staying another year in college.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
He wasn't drafted until the 15th round of high school when he didn't sign. There won't be issues signing him.

no one really knows that, esp if his advisor is Scott B.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
He'll sign, especially with the draft class being way better next season.

Agreed. Signability just really isn't that big of a concern anymore for non-HS players. You will still have occasional guys like Appel not sign but it is going to be very rare and Fulmer isn't a guy who will be able to go #1 overall next year like Appel was able to do.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Agreed. Signability just really isn't that big of a concern anymore for non-HS players. You will still have occasional guys like Appel not sign but it is going to be very rare and Fulmer isn't a guy who will be able to go #1 overall next year like Appel was able to do.

this is me, the whole Scott B presence has be jumpy, that is if he is Fulmer advisor and / or of Fulmer is there at #8

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
this is me, the whole Scott B presence has be jumpy, that is if he is Fulmer advisor and / or of Fulmer is there at #8

If the Sox were able to sign Rodon, they'll be able to sign Fulmer or any other Boras clients.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)

Fulmer will sign. Law doesn't have Daz Cameron in his top 30 mock though. He says that Cameron (Boras) is asking for too much money and may drop.