Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
Karen Henness ‏@MlbKaren 3m

MLBPA Files Grievance Against Houston Astros for Unsigned Draft Picks http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/07/24/mlb...ed-draft-picks/ … #LWOS @MLBFB

"It’s frustrating listening to people who are saying we tried to pull a fast one."

Luhnow has no clue about public relations. You want to change perception, do something about it. Whining or complaining about the media or bloggers won't help. Don't create a pattern that simply gets reinforced until nobody is willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Don't try to screw over your draft pick and then change your offer at the last minute and expect a different reaction out of reasonable/rational people.

Edited by caulfield12

Does anyone believe a system that places this much power with the owners and almost nothing with the high school athlete is fair? There should be some way for the kid to be playing mlb organization ball. Boras' system is about as good as it gets.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Does anyone believe a system that places this much power with the owners and almost nothing with the high school athlete is fair? There should be some way for the kid to be playing mlb organization ball. Boras' system is about as good as it gets.

Boras system making these guys free agents, albeit with a ceiling of what they can sign for, still means a few teams would have all these players sign with them, while other teams , even if they offer the max, will always come in 2nd or 3rd.

It is actually very rare this occurs, and would not have occured IMO, if the Astros didn't have the 2nd pick overall next year to fall back on. There is no doubt in my mind Aiken got screwed, but it is hard to imagine a system is totally slanted against a 17 year old who is guaranteed $3-$7 million before throwing a pitch above high school level. I do think the advisor vs. agent thing needs to dissappear, and let them have people with experience who know what is going on negotiate for them, but the idea of more free agent HS kids getting paid is exactly what the slot system is trying to avoid. Let the worst teams have the best shots at these players.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Boras system making these guys free agents, albeit with a ceiling of what they can sign for, still means a few teams would have all these players sign with them, while other teams , even if they offer the max, will always come in 2nd or 3rd.

It is actually very rare this occurs, and would not have occured IMO, if the Astros didn't have the 2nd pick overall next year to fall back on. There is no doubt in my mind Aiken got screwed, but it is hard to imagine a system is totally slanted against a 17 year old who is guaranteed $3-$7 million before throwing a pitch above high school level. I do think the advisor vs. agent thing needs to dissappear, and let them have people with experience who know what is going on negotiate for them, but the idea of more free agent HS kids getting paid is exactly what the slot system is trying to avoid. Let the worst teams have the best shots at these players.

I agree about the 2nd pick thing. Maybe if you offer a guy 100% of his value, you can recoup a similar pick the following year (no matter if he is injured or not), indicating that a player was generally unresponsive, but in a situation like Houston's - where they could offer him $8+ mill, agreed to $6.5, and then that offer decreased to $5 mill - they shouldn't be compensated as much as they have been.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2014/07/oh-you...-me-or-day.html

You have got to be kidding me, Appel's bullpen should be a non-story

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/7/21/592...he-aiken-effect

Impact of not signing Aiken/Nix/Marshall on the Astros in the future...9 opinions all say it's really not that bad and most are positive about it

Edited by caulfield12

The one thing about Boras's system that you'd have to address is the possibility that players intentionally become uncooperative so that they can choose their team. An Eli Manning situation, basically

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
The one thing about Boras's system that you'd have to address is the possibility that players intentionally become uncooperative so that they can choose their team. An Eli Manning situation, basically

Submit a max bid then. If you draft someone #1 overall, and his draft slot is $9 mill, and you submit a bit for $9 mill, he should not be able to sign with another team. The drafting team has done everything in their reasonably expected power to get you signed. If you just don't want to sign, then you don't GET to sign.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 29, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
I think another fair idea would be that you only get a pick that that is equal to the slot value you offered.

So if you offer $3mil, you get a pick in next years draft that was slotted for $3mil. So that way if the Astros want to play around, its their loss.

Too anti-team. The idea is that you lower your offer because of injury. You can't be compelled to offer damaged goods full slot value

• 3 weeks later...

“No baseball player will have a normal MRI,” Dines said. “If someone has a congenitally small ulnar collateral ligament, even if they tear it and you reconstruct it, you can always make it bigger. And it’s almost a foregone conclusion these days that a young pitcher who throws in the upper 90s will at some point have a reconstruction anyway.

“When I read the reports about Aiken, I thought that there might be some concern about the bony anatomy where the ligament attaches, perhaps the medial epicondyle. If that is damaged or abnormal, you’re left with less bone there to reconstruct the ligament, and that can mean that a reconstruction won’t always work. They must have thought, for some reason, that a future reconstruction would not take.”

The Inside Story of How the Houston Astros Lost #1 Pick Brady Aiken

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/23/houston-a...en-inside-story

One thing that seems clear is that the idea that the Aiken affair has significantly damaged the Astros is overblown, for now anyway. “We’re going to be fine going forward,” Luhnow said. “This is an organization on the rise.” It can be argued that they pushed the rules, but they did not violate them. In fact, it is quite possible that they operated no differently from the way the majority of the league’s teams would have, had they detected a landmine on an MRI. And while the prominence of the pick affected might be unprecedented, the process wasn’t. Just last year, the Marlins selected pitcher Matt Krook 35th overall. Krook failed his physical after he’d agreed to terms and wasn’t signed. Then he tore his UCL after pitching 45 innings for the University of Oregon.

With the No. 2 pick next year, the Astros might select a prospect who is even better than Brady Aiken, or perhaps a college player who is even closer to contributing to a team they believe isn’t so far from contending. They haven’t lost much, if anything, by way of value, and winning would go a long way to erase even perceived past transgressions, just as it will their recent history of losing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
The Astros could technically still sign Aiken

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/astr...rady-aiken.html

That's an interesting twist.

But if you're the Astros and legitimately believe Aiken's UCL will go out sooner rather than later, and that, for medical reasons the repair won't take....you're better off waiting for that 2015 double-whammy for high first rounders.

Maybe MLB stepped in and said, basically, c'mon guys, let's all find a point of compromise and work out deals for Aiken and Nix (and theoretically Marshall could also sign then or has he already enrolled in classes?) so that we don't have a series of messy and public grievances with the MLBPA...doesn't seem like they're willing to change the format of the draft to provide exhaustive physical exams for pitchers quite yet, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
Does anyone believe a system that places this much power with the owners and almost nothing with the high school athlete is fair?

Does anyone believe a system that places so much power to a "corporation" that works me 65 hours a week for a meager salary and shoddy "health insurance" while pocketing all the profits I produce for the "corporation" is fair?

MLB and its owners are no different than any other Capitalism-empowered moneygrabbing machine.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Does anyone believe a system that places so much power to a "corporation" that works me 65 hours a week for a meager salary and shoddy "health insurance" while pocketing all the profits I produce for the "corporation" is fair?

MLB and its owners are no different than any other Capitalism-empowered moneygrabbing machine.

Do you work in public accounting?

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)

They put up the money and took the risk to start up/acquire the "corporation." You took no risk. With the risk comes the reward.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)

You're forgetting they also have the anti-trust exemption.

That said, MLB players have much longer careers (on average) and better pensions than the other major sports.

For example, look at all the problems former NFL players have had establishing this whole concussion case, setting up a fund to help those suffering from it, having it recognized as a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed.

America once upon a time was a country where someone in your situation would say, "Screw it, I'm not going to work for THE MAN anymore, I'm going to hang up my own shingle and determine my own destiny. If I work hard enough, I just might make it."