Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
Hou took a huge hit at the time, i guess if they want to not take the high road, they can say in 1 statement, " we had some concerns" or "we told you so"

Not necessary. They were right to be concerned.

Bring in PTAC for a prognosis. The Aiken case is very complicated/unusual...so I'm pretty certain he wouldn't recommend taking him with the #8 pick...that the prognosis for a full recovery isn't clear at all.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
Hou took a huge hit at the time, i guess if they want to not take the high road, they can say in 1 statement, " we had some concerns" or "we told you so"

I don't see how the hit they took last year applies now, since the concerns they had with his elbow proved out and he is now having TJS. They don't have to say anything, there is no road that needs to be taken high or low. They saw something, it worried them, they lowballed the player, he refused the deal and bet on himself. Unfortunately he lost his bet and Houston looks better for letting him walk away.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)
I don't see how the hit they took last year applies now, since the concerns they had with his elbow proved out and he is now having TJS. They don't have to say anything, there is no road that needs to be taken high or low. They saw something, it worried them, they lowballed the player, he refused the deal and bet on himself. Unfortunately he lost his bet and Houston looks better for letting him walk away.

a cold hard look at reality.... i like it. i guess my dislike for Hou and how they do things is skewing my opinion.

thanks

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
Not necessary. They were right to be concerned.

Bring in PTAC for a prognosis. The Aiken case is very complicated/unusual...so I'm pretty certain he wouldn't recommend taking him with the #8 pick...that the prognosis for a full recovery isn't clear at all.

Well, the small ligament issue is a null point right now since he had the tommy john surgery. It all depends on what tendon they used and whether it was an allograft/autograft.

You're likely looking at a typical TJ timeframe/prognosis, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:26 PM)
I would be shocked if Sox take him. I think they'll take someone closer to the majors

I'm not disagreeing with you but if they somehow re-sign Jeff and have their top 4 guys signed for the next 84 years it seems like they'd be in an optimal position to take a guy like Aiken.

EDIT: but now that I think about it there's 0 chance Shark is re-signed by June so never mind.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 04:14 AM)
Well, the small ligament issue is a null point right now since he had the tommy john surgery. It all depends on what tendon they used and whether it was an allograft/autograft.

You're likely looking at a typical TJ timeframe/prognosis, but I could be wrong.

many thanks, so in other words, they can replace the small ligament with, what i am understanding a bigger one, interesting.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
I would be shocked if Sox take him. I think they'll take someone closer to the majors

well, according to MLB rumors, this morning, some suspicion of Bos may take the chance to draft him at #7.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:36 AM)
I'm not disagreeing with you but if they somehow re-sign Jeff and have their top 4 guys signed for the next 84 years it seems like they'd be in an optimal position to take a guy like Aiken.

EDIT: but now that I think about it there's 0 chance Shark is re-signed by June so never mind.

Former GM Dan O'Dowd said yesterday there is zero chance he signs an extension during the season. I would guess he wouldn't make this claim on MLB Network without a good source, but you never know.

I would take him at 8 easily, could you imagine a farm that includes Danish, Martinez, Adams, Montas and Aiken? That would be insane.

This is really reminiscent of what happened to Lucas Giolito, and now he's one of the best prospects in all of baseball.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
I would take him at 8 easily, could you imagine a farm that includes Danish, Martinez, Adams, Montas and Aiken? That would be insane.

This is really reminiscent of what happened to Lucas Giolito, and now he's one of the best prospects in all of baseball.

The other side of that is the White Sox passing on Barrett Loux because of his delivery.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)

This isn't the whole story though. Houston took him at #1 because he agreed to a deal at $6.5 million. They drafted him. He got there, they found the small UCL and then offered $5 million. I wouldn't have played for that team either. He bet on himself and he lost. He will get drafted again though, probably in the top 10.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
This isn't the whole story though. Houston took him at #1 because he agreed to a deal at $6.5 million. They drafted him. He got there, they found the small UCL and then offered $5 million. I wouldn't have played for that team either. He bet on himself and he lost. He will get drafted again though, probably in the top 10.

i get that they looked extremely bad in the process of what happened, all I am replying to is LDF saying that Houston needs to come out and say something. There really isnt anything they need to say anymore, they already took their PR hit. "We wish Brady the best in his future endeavors" 6 months ago is really all that needed to be said. Saying anything right now just looks like rubbing it in and makes them look worse.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
i get that they looked extremely bad in the process of what happened, all I am replying to is LDF saying that Houston needs to come out and say something. There really isnt anything they need to say anymore, they already took their PR hit. "We wish Brady the best in his future endeavors" 6 months ago is really all that needed to be said. Saying anything right now just looks like rubbing it in and makes them look worse.

i may have given you the wrong impression with my post. i am sorry, what i was intending to convey is all it would take is for Hou to come and tell everyone "see we told you so"

it would be great for Hou not to say anything at all, even if asked by reporters. take the high road.

i truly believe no-one on this site will wish evil on players careers, on this site. ......

well, i may be the only one, but that is for a other post.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I wonder if he had the surgery to strengthen the arm because of the small tendon.

Not necessarily because he had to have it due to injury and Houston was right.

I doubt it, there are ways to strengthen tendons/ligaments through strength training that have been shown in research. Also, he could have easily strengthened the muscles around it.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I doubt it, there are ways to strengthen tendons/ligaments through strength training that have been shown in research. Also, he could have easily strengthened the muscles around it.

but i am still a little lost on this medical info.

adding to the ligament, in other words, making it bigger, will secure or strengthen the area. making it more secure or strengthen, is that the same thing??

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Yes.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/...w-negotiations/

You might want to rethink that stance. Comprehensive/holistic look at the entire case that paints neither side favorably, the Astros nor Close (Jeter's management group, also).

If the odds (because of the unusual nature of his particular repair) are 80-90% that he (Aiken) doesn't return to form or improve after surgery, the White Sox would be gambling to take him.

Sure, in the 4th, but not with a first round draft pick.

Not to mention the fact that you're pushing his expected major league arrival back another year...when the club's entering its peak competitive window starting now. He might be able to pitch in late 2016/Winter Ball, but, even without complications, you're talking about 2019/2020.

It feels like the White Sox are 2/3rds focused on the near five years and only 1/3rd on building up the minor league depth/strength.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/...w-negotiations/

You might want to rethink that stance. Comprehensive/holistic look at the entire case that paints neither side favorably, the Astros nor Close (Jeter's management group, also).

If the odds (because of the unusual nature of his particular repair) are 80-90% that he (Aiken) doesn't return to form or improve after surgery, the White Sox would be gambling to take him.

Sure, in the 4th, but not with a first round draft pick.

Not to mention the fact that you're pushing his expected major league arrival back another year...when the club's entering its peak competitive window starting now. He might be able to pitch in late 2016/Winter Ball, but, even without complications, you're talking about 2019/2020.

It feels like the White Sox are 2/3rds focused on the near five years and only 1/3rd on building up the minor league depth/strength.

nice post, my opinion, i think the window of opportunity is with in the next 2-3 yrs for players to move on up. so i am in at a 2016 windows of some sorts.