Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Matt Harvey being one of the more recent examples. Harvey said something to the time of, "I will do everything I my power to pitcher through this."

But again, in that case, I don't think there were any doctors who were saying "he is perfectly healthy!"

This is a situation where three doctors are saying "there is nothing wrong with this kid," and the Astros are saying "we see something abnormal here."

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
But again, in that case, I don't think there were any doctors who were saying "he is perfectly healthy!"

This is a situation where three doctors are saying "there is nothing wrong with this kid," and the Astros are saying "we see something abnormal here."

Do all of the doctors have the same information (MRI results, etc.) or are some going on different levels of investigation?

pt has, IIRC, noted that with many full tears you can tell just by a physical examination and touching, whereas an MRI could show things that could someday lead to full tears that couldn't be as easily found without the high-res scan.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:04 PM)
Do all of the doctors have the same information (MRI results, etc.) or are some going on different levels of investigation?

pt has, IIRC, noted that with many full tears you can tell just by a physical examination and touching, whereas an MRI could show things that could someday lead to full tears that couldn't be as easily found without the high-res scan.

but where is the appeal factor. at this point the power is with the baseball club.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)

Are those three doctors saying "There is nothing wrong with this kid" or "The kid is healthy enough to pitch right now". That's not the same thing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
but where is the appeal factor. at this point the power is with the baseball club.

I kinda get why you'd say that part, but almost by definition when there is a draft, that is the case. The draft takes away the power of guys to make their own decisions by definition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)

Well I think the point of Close sending him to these different doctors is to try and prove to the Astros that he is healthy. So I imagine they are getting whatever access to him that they want.

I'm pretty certain they have all seen MRIs at the very least.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Are those three doctors saying "There is nothing wrong with this kid" or "The kid is healthy enough to pitch right now". That's not the same thing.

Well, I am obviously reading just like you are, but from what I have read, they are saying there is nothing wrong with this kid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
I kinda get why you'd say that part, but almost by definition when there is a draft, that is the case. The draft takes away the power of guys to make their own decisions by definition.

I agree with you, this bring to light a very unusual problem no one may have thought about. I can see

Houston allowing this kid to go back to school.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
Well, I am obviously reading just like you are, but from what I have read, they are saying there is nothing wrong with this kid.

there are many times dr don't always have it right. that is why there are second opinions involve.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:16 PM)
Well I think the point of Close sending him to these different doctors is to try and prove to the Astros that he is healthy. So I imagine they are getting whatever access to him that they want.

I'm pretty certain they have all seen MRIs at the very least.

here is an interesting question, what happen if the dr are split, who is going to make Houston pay?

they make an offer and it is up to the drafted player to accept or not. \

in this case I feel for the player.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)

The way this comment is worded is what I question. Maybe it's just the way Will Carroll tweeted it in his words, but the Astros aren't worried about him pitching tomorrow.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
Will Carroll ‏@injuryexpert 1m

Casey Close, Aiken's agent, has sent him to three different top docs who have all cleared his arm to pitch immediately.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
The way this comment is worded is what I question. Maybe it's just the way Will Carroll tweeted it in his words, but the Astros aren't worried about him pitching tomorrow.

I think it's safe to infer that that means he is entirely healthy. The whole purpose of their opinions is to ascertain whether he is healthy, not whether he could literally pitch tomorrow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
Now I'm thinking their consolation prize may be enough for them to do this. The kid probably hired an agent, not an advisor, so he probably can't play in college, they are still giving him good money, they won't lose a pick, maybe they think he's a sucker, telling him his physical wasn't clean and pressuring him and his agent, all the while knowing if he doesn't sign, well, the second pick next year is better than forfeiting a pick next year.

If they are playing games, they are going to have a hard time getting players to negotiate and take physicals for them. I just don't see where this is worth it unless there is something obviously wrong, yet the agent has 3 doctors that say he's fine. I'm glad this is happening in Houston and not with the White Sox.

The articles are referring to Close as an "Advisor" and not an agent.

The players association should be pushing for at least this to go to an independent arbiter. This is crazy there is no real process for this player right now.

Also, flameon, but, does anyone think this would happen to a Boras client?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
The articles are referring to Close as an "Advisor" and not an agent.

it is in this situation that everyone can see flaws in the system. however on the flip side,

what if the player is really hurt and trying to fool the baseball clubs......

it is a damn if you do and damn if you don't. who to believe?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
The players association should be pushing for at least this to go to an independent arbiter. This is crazy there is no real process for this player right now.

Doesn't the club have the right to just only offer the 40% of slot with no excuses, medicals or otherwise? I think under the rules, they can draft whomever they want and only offer 40% of slot, and at the very worst, receive one pick worse in the next year's draft. Of course, if they do it again and the kid doesn't sign, they lose that pick entirely.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)

good point, however I believe it can happen to anyone. Scott B and his rep, he would

prob say sign him for this money or screw you.

in this situation, as I said I feel for the player.

are there an arb procedure covering this kind of problem?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Doesn't the club have the right to just only offer the 40% of slot with no excuses, medicals or otherwise? I think under the rules, they can draft whomever they want and only offer 40% of slot, and at the very worst, receive one pick worse in the next year's draft. Of course, if they do it again and the kid doesn't sign, they lose that pick entirely.

Only in an injury situation. Otherwise it is 90% of slot has to be offered to insure a comp pick if the player does not sign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
Only in an injury situation. Otherwise it is 90% of slot has to be offered to insure a comp pick if the player does not sign.

so can that be a reason Houston is stating that it is an injury?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)

Ahh, so then it's the "injury situation" which needs to be defined more clearly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
That is exactly why they are talking about a "significant anomaly"

uh????

I am trying to look up the meaning and I can't find it. help?

oh now I got it.................... sorry. and thank.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)

While I think they will care about it, players are not technically part of the MLBPA until they are put onto the 40-man roster, which could take 4 years in this situation.