Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
How was this not standardized?

I'm not an expert, but that would be pretty tough to do, I believe.

Do you list specific injuries? Grades of injuries? What is stop a team from drafted an injured player intentionally with the idea of saving a huge chunk of cap space to give to overslot players down the draft board? Who decides if an injury is severe enough to qualify for this? It would be pretty brutal to draw up the guidelines.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
If I'm Rick Hahn, I'm getting an offer ready for Aiken if he reaches FA. I might go $10 million for Aiken, I think he's that good.

Its been reported that 10M won't be enough. How true that is, I do not know.

I just can't see him hitting the free agent market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)

Do you list specific injuries? Grades of injuries? What is stop a team from drafted an injured player intentionally with the idea of saving a huge chunk of cap space to give to overslot players down the draft board? Who decides if an injury is severe enough to qualify for this? It would be pretty brutal to draw up the guidelines.

I think you'd have to show that a consensus of medical experts has a reasonable concern that the player would sustain a significant injury if he was to begin playing professional ball in the immediate future.

As you can see, there are all kinds of subjective terms in there, but I am sure it could be done based on some of the criteria utilized in evaluating major league players and whether they are in a suitable condition to resume playing activities.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
While I think they will care about it, players are not technically part of the MLBPA until they are put onto the 40-man roster, which could take 4 years in this situation.

Tony Clark stated they would evaluate all their options in support of the players.

One thing confuses me in all this -- why was this only discovered after he was signed? Did they not do the physical beforehand? Was he just signed pending physical, and that's when this was discovered? I just find it unlikely, in this age of hypersensitivity concerning pitchers' health, that a club even makes an offer to such a high-profile pick without having a doctor take a look at him first.

My point being, if Aiken signed on the dotted line when Houston already had a chance to conduct a physical, then too bad for Houston. Buyer beware.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
One thing confuses me in all this -- why was this only discovered after he was signed? Did they not do the physical beforehand? Was he just signed pending physical, and that's when this was discovered? I just find it unlikely, in this age of hypersensitivity concerning pitchers' health, that a club even makes an offer to such a high-profile pick without having a doctor take a look at him first.

My point being, if Aiken signed on the dotted line when Houston already had a chance to conduct a physical, then too bad for Houston. Buyer beware.

They didn't sign him.

Usually an agreement is reached but the contract is not executed until the physical checks out.

I agree though, do they not get physicals just prior to the draft?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
But does that include an MRI on every pitcher's arm? Somehow I doubt that.

Maybe not, but I'd be surprised if it didn't include one on the arm of a kid who is going to go top 10.

And if the physicals didn't include an MRI before, they will now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)

Again, if only Major League Baseball had some sort of arbitration infrastructure in place to deal with these issues.

I don't know that you need specific injury guidelines but you absolutely should have due process in place.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Its been reported that 10M won't be enough. How true that is, I do not know.

I just can't see him hitting the free agent market.

It might be enough if you have Sale and Coop talk to him about the team's pitching program and how they manage their pitchers.

I imagine that MLB dosent want this to happen, and Scott Boaras is going to go off if it does. Remember he said that he believes that Kris Bryant should be making more money than Abreu is now.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
It might be enough if you have Sale and Coop talk to him about the team's pitching program and how they manage their pitchers.

I imagine that MLB dosent want this to happen, and Scott Boaras is going to go off if it does. Remember he said that he believes that Kris Bryant should be making more money than Abreu is now.

It depends on the offers. If someone offers $20 million, and the Sox offer $10 million, there is no way on god's green earth he takes the Sox offer.

This situation will lead to significant changes in the way pre draft physicals are handled, injured players are negotiated with, etc... The Stros are really screwing the pooch IMO, they may save a small amount of money this year but will end up losing in the long run. Nobody will want to be drafted by them and their agents will let the team know about it prior to the draft in the coming seasons. This is a case of the Stros trying to game the system...it's a very short sighted way to conduct business

One of the things that I like about the Sox front office is that they don't really try to screw people over (Blue Jays excluded) when they conduct business...they seem to have a moral compass when negotiating with players/teams/etc... that goes a long ways in my eyes

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
This situation will lead to significant changes in the way pre draft physicals are handled, injured players are negotiated with, etc... The Stros are really screwing the pooch IMO, they may save a small amount of money this year but will end up losing in the long run. Nobody will want to be drafted by them and their agents will let the team know about it prior to the draft in the coming seasons. This is a case of the Stros trying to game the system...it's a very short sighted way to conduct business

One of the things that I like about the Sox front office is that they don't really try to screw people over (Blue Jays excluded) when they conduct business...they seem to have a moral compass when negotiating with players/teams/etc... that goes a long ways in my eyes

Didn't the Astros already have an issue with one guy they drafted?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
It depends on the offers. If someone offers $20 million, and the Sox offer $10 million, there is no way on god's green earth he takes the Sox offer.

I personally don't think that he's worth over $10 Million, but I would go after Aiken hard as long as the price and contract remain reasonable, maybe buy out some are years but I would do everything to have him in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
I personally don't think that he's worth over $10 Million, but I would go after Aiken hard as long as the price and contract remain reasonable, maybe buy out some are years but I would do everything to have him in a Sox uniform.

At least one writer thought he could get $20 million on the open market in a place without caps or restrictions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
At least one writer thought he could get $20 million on the open market in a place without caps or restrictions.

I have a question, I asked it before in another thread and I am going to ask it again. maybe this time

I phrase it better.

a drafted prospect, does not sign nor goes back to school. he signs for 1 yr with an independent team

(a- would Japan, mex or the DR be consider indy) he the prospect becomes a free agent.

(b-without re-entry into the draft)

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
I have a question, I asked it before in another thread and I am going to ask it again. maybe this time

I phrase it better.

a drafted prospect, does not sign nor goes back to school. he signs for 1 yr with an independent team

(a- would Japan, mex or the DR be consider indy) he the prospect becomes a free agent.

(b-without re-entry into the draft)

I believe he has to wait three years to be draft eligible again, as long as the original drafting team followed all of the rules for attempting to sign a pick.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/brad...unted-deal.html

I don't really understand what the Astros are doing here. If they can't sign Aiken then they don't have enough $$ to sign their 2nd round pick because of losing the slot amount for the #1 pick. What happens if Aiken doesn't sign? Can he become a free agent right away? If so, I bet Aiken would receive $20+ million on the open market and I would hope that the White Sox would be involved.

That'd be the worst thing ever - then every player drafted would just refuse to sign and then get an exorbitant free agent contract.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
They get physicals when they declare for the draft.

Not usually. It would be impractical. Every HS senior and college JR and SR plus some first and second year guys in jucos are eligible. You don't declare for the baseball draft. Teams would spend all their time on physicals.

The same thing happened to RA Dickey. The trainer actually saw a picture he was in and noticed how he was holding his arm. The deal is your bonus gets slashed.

I think you would probably be a little shocked at some physicals. But I would imagine these days they probably are pretty thorough for $6 million high school pitchers. This could be a case of wanting to find something. If Aiken is totally heathy, he should release the results. The Astros would have some trouble.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Not usually. It would be impractical. Every HS senior and college JR and SR plus some first and second year guys in jucos are eligible. You don't declare for the baseball draft. Teams would spend all their time on physicals.

The same thing happened to RA Dickey. The trainer actually saw a picture he was in and noticed how he was holding his arm. The deal is your bonus gets slashed.

I think you would probably be a little shocked at some physicals. But I would imagine these days they probably are pretty thorough for $6 million high school pitchers. This could be a case of wanting to find something. If Aiken is totally heathy, he should release the results. The Astros would have some trouble.

Barrett Loux is another.

A person with knowledge of the situation told Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle that Brady Aiken has a "cut-and-dry" issue with his left ulnar collateral ligament.

It sounds like Aiken might have an abnormally small UCL, and even though it's not damaged, the Astros are contending that it makes him more at risk going forward. "He may have some (of the UCL), but not much," Drellich's source said. Aiken's advisor, Casey Close, is claiming that Aiken is perfectly healthy and worth every penny of the previously agreed to $6.5 million bonus. The Astros are willing to offer the lefty $3.16884 million. The two sides have until Friday afternoon to work things out.

Source: Houston Chronicle