Apartment/Condo/House Thread

pettie4sox

Ours was a short sale, giant pain in the ass mostly because of the other realtor.

You do get a brand loyalty with the cordless tools just because it's cheaper to buy bare tools, so you only get one or two batteries and then the rest bare. I've had good luck with my Makita stuff, and dewalt is always good.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Ours was a short sale, giant pain in the ass mostly because of the other realtor.

You do get a brand loyalty with the cordless tools just because it's cheaper to buy bare tools, so you only get one or two batteries and then the rest bare. I've had good luck with my Makita stuff, and dewalt is always good.

I'm a Bosch guy, although I am far from handy around the house...I barely get by and stuff like hanging pictures and flatscreens :)

I am hopeless with power tools. I'm an accountant for f***sake, haha. A drill is the extent of "power" tools that I use and a flat screen mount or hanging some towel holders is as tough as it gets for me. That said, I was pretty proud of the electrical work I did in my house when we first moved in (so far no fires to date either). And I "loosely" use the term electrical work (if you call putting in a new light fixture (where an old one already existed) electrical work).

My main rule is, unless it is simple, don't do it. And if it involves water, just count me out. The cost of me screwing something up far outweighs the savings of having a plummer come out. That said, the makita drill I've had has lasted generations (passed down). Works fantastic to this day.

Well, the house we are buying is great because the updates are so obvious in how to add a 1st floor bath, etc. But definitely want to re-tyle the upstairs bath. I feel pretty good about tiling, but still unsure if I'll do the shower. The thing is a massive beast, where the wall of the shower and tub are all connected. I may just do the demo to save that cash.

You are right, definitely do not want leaks.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Forgot about this thread. We are in the middle of a short sale purchase.

When we started looking for houses, I did not seek out a short sale by any means. We put in an offer on a house that had been on market for a while and it was accepted, but it put it at a price requiring bank approval. Lots of waiting so far. We actually paid for a home inspection right away, as we didn't want to be tied down for months to find out it required a new foundation which would obviously be ours to pay.

That said, very excited, but also trying to put it out of my mind for another 30-45 days.

Question for Home improvement stuff. If you start acquiring tools, do you get pretty brand loyal? I want to use a gift card to buy a handheld jigsaw tool, but feel like as soon as you buy one with a battery you are going to buy them all. With that in mind, is there a good quality/value brand people swear by?

I tend to just go with the best deal from a reputable manufacturer with good reviews. I've got Makita and Milwaukee drill sets, a Milwaukee sawzall, porter cable router, porter cable nail gun and air compressor kit, ryobi table saw and chop saw. Dewalt jig saw and circular saw.... I'm all over the place. Generally I do see a difference between cheaper Ryobi stuff (more plastic components) versus Dewalt or Makita. But most of the time it doesn't matter. Unless you're using this stuff every weekend, the cheap stuff is more than adequate. You might get a crappy model, but the crappy model is so cheap it probably won't hurt to replace it. E.g., a $120 Ryobi table saw versus a $300 Dewalt with a bigger motor. Both will get the job done. The Ryobi can break and be replaced and you're still ahead.

Re: the battery power stuff, don't go too crazy buying extra batteries. That tech (1) isn't going to be around for more than a few years (always being upgraded) and (2) the battery life will crap out after a few anyway. Better to just save the pennies and upgrade your kits when the new tech comes out.

Also, depending on what you're doing, a wired jigsaw might be better. Remember that a lot of the battery kits are nice to have around, but they might not be able to do the job and if they do it might not be a good finish. Oh, and you'll inevitably run into a situation when you forget to charge a battery and you have to stop your project to charge. I tend to prefer wired power tools, at least with most things. There is a convenience factor to consider though. It all depends on the projects you'll be doing.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
I tend to just go with the best deal from a reputable manufacturer with good reviews. I've got Makita and Miluwakee drill sets, a Milwaukee sawzall, porter cable router, porter cable nail gun and air compressor kit, ryobi table saw and chop saw. Dewalt jig saw and circular saw.... I'm all over the place. Generally I do see a difference between cheaper Ryobi stuff (more plastic components) versus Dewalt or Makita. But most of the time it doesn't matter. Unless you're using this stuff every weekend, the cheap stuff is more than adequate. You might get a crappy model, but the crappy model is so cheap it probably won't hurt to replace it. E.g., a $120 Ryobi table saw versus a $300 Dewalt with a bigger motor. Both will get the job done. The Ryobi can break and be replaced and you're still ahead.

Harbor Freight is fantastic for cheap one-project tools. Yes, that $500 DeWalt compound miter saw is much nicer and will probably last the average homeowner DIY a lifetime, but my $100 HF special will last a couple of years.

Re: the battery power stuff, don't go too crazy buying extra batteries. That tech (1) isn't going to be around for more than a few years (always being upgraded) and (2) the battery life will crap out after a few anyway. Better to just save the pennies and upgrade your kits when the new tech comes out.

I think this depends on where you're at in the price scale. If you're at the Makita, DeWalt, Bosch etc. level of "professional" tools, they're going to support that battery technology for a long time. My first Makita in 2009 wasn't the first year of that battery tech and they're still making tools for that line. I'm also still on my original pair of batteries without any noticeable loss in capacity/output. It seems like you either need to go dirt cheap and know you're going to replace somewhat frequently or go big and have the same tools/line for a long time.

Also, depending on what you're doing, a wired jigsaw might be better. Remember that a lot of the battery kits are nice to have around, but they might not be able to do the job and if they do it might not be a good finish. Oh, and you'll inevitably run into a situation when you forget to charge a battery and you have to stop your project to charge. I tend to prefer wired power tools, at least with most things. There is a convenience factor to consider though. It all depends on the projects you'll be doing.

That's where having backup batteries and one of the "nicer" battery techs is really helpful. I think my makita batteries will go from completely dead to fully charged in about 20 minutes or so, 30 minutes max. So even if you do forget, it's not like you're on hold for hours.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
I think this depends on where you're at in the price scale. If you're at the Makita, DeWalt, Bosch etc. level of "professional" tools, they're going to support that battery technology for a long time. My first Makita in 2009 wasn't the first year of that battery tech and they're still making tools for that line. I'm also still on my original pair of batteries without any noticeable loss in capacity/output. It seems like you either need to go dirt cheap and know you're going to replace somewhat frequently or go big and have the same tools/line for a long time.

They do continue to support them, but they also come out with newer, more streamlined versions of things. E.g., my milwaukee drills from about 2 years ago came with 18 v quick charge batteries that are the size of a deck of cards. My first drill set included huge bricks and only 12v. I'm not saying you're wasting your money or anything, but I always feel like battery components have short shelf lives because they keep upping the technology. Whereas plug-in models have been the same forever.

That's where having backup batteries and one of the "nicer" battery techs is really helpful. I think my makita batteries will go from completely dead to fully charged in about 20 minutes or so, 30 minutes max. So even if you do forget, it's not like you're on hold for hours.

Yeah nowadays the quick charge stuff is awesome.

My stepson and daughter in law have just bought their second investment home. They live very frugally and are able to save about 25% of their income each month. They now has two families buying him a house every month. His goal is six before he turns forty. When he retired he will own all those homes. Sounds impossible and it is, unless you start off that way. They drive nice cars, not super expensive and drive them until there is just no life left in them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
I am hopeless with power tools. I'm an accountant for f***sake, haha. A drill is the extent of "power" tools that I use and a flat screen mount or hanging some towel holders is as tough as it gets for me. That said, I was pretty proud of the electrical work I did in my house when we first moved in (so far no fires to date either). And I "loosely" use the term electrical work (if you call putting in a new light fixture (where an old one already existed) electrical work).

My main rule is, unless it is simple, don't do it. And if it involves water, just count me out. The cost of me screwing something up far outweighs the savings of having a plummer come out. That said, the makita drill I've had has lasted generations (passed down). Works fantastic to this day.

I'm not certain what a plummer is but if he is like a plumber, I agree. With electrical there is a circuit breaker.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
My stepson and daughter in law have just bought their second investment home. They live very frugally and are able to save about 25% of their income each month. They now has two families buying him a house every month. His goal is six before he turns forty. When he retired he will own all those homes. Sounds impossible and it is, unless you start off that way. They drive nice cars, not super expensive and drive them until there is just no life left in them.

I don't think that math is right. Two families are buying him a house every month? And he'll have 6 by age 40? What, is he 39?

Looking to move to the city in the summer somewhere in the lake view or north side area. Does anyone have any experience or good websites? I don't even know where to start.

I need to be somewhat close to a union-pacific metra stop in order to get to school 3x per week in the winter.

Edited by staxx

QUOTE (staxx @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Looking to move to the city in the summer somewhere in the lake view or north side area. Does anyone have any experience or good websites? I don't even know where to start.

I need to be somewhat close to a union-pacific metra stop in order to get to school 3x per week in the winter.

I'm assuming apartment?

Try padmapper. It overlays craigslist/rent.com/etc with google maps, so you can look by location.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 2, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
Being a landlord sounds like a giant pain in the ass.

It's pretty nice about 10 months a year or so. Until you have to switch renters or you get an e-mail saying "The heat's not working or the dishwasher's leaking or the washing machine doesn't work". Then it really sucks.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
I live in Little Italy now (as of Black Wednesday) and this snow has just been the biggest pain in the ass. My alley to the parking spot had two cars and stuck in it. Then my car got stuck trying to turn around outside my alley. We used to live on Michigan Ave. and the snow was handled very swiftly. Am I to expect my neighborhood not to be plowed every time there's a considerable snow fall?

These situations are tailor made for complaining like hell to your alderman, who also may be in the midst of an election on feb 22nd.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 3, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
These situations are tailor made for complaining like hell to your alderman, who also may be in the midst of an election on feb 22nd.

Unless you live on said alderman's block, complaining won't help the plows find your street much quicker.