Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
No way, then you say have fun with your 38 year old pitcher making $20M.

And you wait for the team that he signs with to have to dump other players because of that disaster of a contract. The White Sox are really good at picking such players off of rosters.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Maybe go after david price but not likely

He's not a free agent next year and so the Sox would have to trade for him. I wouldn't do so in their position.

However, it would fill the need of making sure no one else in the big leagues has any left handed starters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
I would not spend the money on a starting pitcher for the front of the rotation if Danks was not moved. That would just leave too many arms when you count Rodon, and from the White Sox's POV you have to count him as arriving in the near future.

I am not going to spend $15 million+ a year on a pitcher if there's any chance that pitcher blocks Rodon. If they can't move Danks, then look to spend that money elsewhere.

I don't see why not. I highly doubt, unless he absolutely bombs, they couldn't "dump" Danks whenever Rodon is ready....And I'm not 100% convinced Rodon will even be in the 2015 rotation at any point....Remember if he follows the same path Sale did, Sale pitched 2 years of relief before starting.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
I don't see why not. I highly doubt, unless he absolutely bombs, they couldn't "dump" Danks whenever Rodon is ready....And I'm not 100% convinced Rodon will even be in the 2015 rotation at any point....Remember if he follows the same path Sale did, Sale pitched 2 years of relief before starting.

Chris Sale pitching in the bullpen in 2011 is literally my least favorite idea the White Sox have had in the past decade. I thought at the time it was terrible and I think today it was terrible.

I think this is a real straightforward position. I'm not spending money on the rotation next year unless Danks is cleared. If they don't clear him then that seems like they're going to ride it out with him and figure things out potentially after 2015.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)

Good point on Rodon. Coming out of college and pitching once a week will take him some time to adjust to pitching every 5 days. Plus he will need some time to build up the endurance for a longer season with more starts. No need to rush.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Good point on Rodon. Coming out of college and pitching once a week will take him some time to adjust to pitching every 5 days. Plus he will need some time to build up the endurance for a longer season with more starts. No need to rush.

They're actually going to have him working every 5 days for the rest of this season out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
Chris Sale pitching in the bullpen in 2011 is literally my least favorite idea the White Sox have had in the past decade. I thought at the time it was terrible and I think today it was terrible.

I think this is a real straightforward position. I'm not spending money on the rotation next year unless Danks is cleared. If they don't clear him then that seems like they're going to ride it out with him and figure things out potentially after 2015.

Where are they gonna spend the money? Again, even with Danks and Lexi staying around the payroll after arbitration will probably be much less than 60M.

Unless they plan on starting Rodon right out the gate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
They're actually going to have him working every 5 days for the rest of this season out of the bullpen.

Right but the pen will only build up so much arm strength. He very well may need a majority of the 2015 season or longer for his whole body to adjust to the workload of more starts and a longer season. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Where are they gonna spend the money? Again, even with Danks and Lexi staying around the payroll after arbitration will probably be much less than 60M.

Unless they plan on starting Rodon right out the gate.

Why do they need to spend money? Spend it to make a difference, not just for the sake of spending it. Leave the payroll space open to absorb a contract in a trade or to fill a final gap when the team is ready to contend. There are a couple international free agents that could fill in the hole in LF, but the team still needs to find upgrades in the rotation, C, and fill the hold that is created at DH after this season.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Right but the pen will only build up so much arm strength. He very well may need a majority of the 2015 season or longer for his whole body to adjust to the workload of more starts and a longer season. I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check.

He was plenty overworked this season, he threw 98.2 innings in college this season already and with some pretty high pitch counts in a few outings. Throwing every 5 days will help him get on schedule and still finish the season at around 130 IP.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:32 PM)
He was plenty overworked this season, he threw 98.2 innings in college this season already and with some pretty high pitch counts in a few outings. Throwing every 5 days will help him get on schedule and still finish the season at around 130 IP.

I agree but in a sense it goes with what I'm saying as well. Next season would bridge the gap between the 130 IP this hear and say 160-170 IP at the mlb level in 2016. But hey, if he can adjust quicker than that I'm all for it.

I'm just trying not to expect too much is all.

Buying top-of-the-market starting pitchers is literally one of the worst ways to spend money. It not only is often not worth the money, it very often totally blows up in the team's face in short order, leaving them with a pitcher they'd just assume not have on the roster at all.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Why do they need to spend money? Spend it to make a difference, not just for the sake of spending it. Leave the payroll space open to absorb a contract in a trade or to fill a final gap when the team is ready to contend. There are a couple international free agents that could fill in the hole in LF, but the team still needs to find upgrades in the rotation, C, and fill the hold that is created at DH after this season.

To me, they're ready to contend next year. Had Avi not got hurt and they figured out the bullpen earlier they'd be right in the thick of things.

Danks trading, if it comes to past, to NYY for prospects. i am thinking that Sanchez, M. Williams,

Severino and Austin are off limit. With that, i would love to get A. Judge and one of the following.

cat - Ryan, P. O'Brien

P - M. Banuelos, M. Montgomery, B. Mitchell

others - A. Avelino - inf, J Cave - of

I know Judge is high "A" but I like the stats so far.

btw mods, will there be a open free agent thread, there are some really good discussion going on.

Hector Noesi is a better pitcher than post surgery John Danks. He's also magnitudes of order cheaper. If you trade one of them, you try and dump Danks to an (apparently) desperate Yankees Team.

I can see Gordon + Danks to NYY for cash and a couple C prospects.

Anyone expecting more needs to reset their expectations, these are 1 WAR types we are trading.

Oh my God! Finally somebody gets it!!

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
That's not how other organizations view him, I can promise you.

That's because no org. is going to want to give up value for a #3 starter who is pitching like a #5. They want to buy low on him. You are being far too shortsighted if you think the start you saw a couple days ago is who Danks really is.

That's because no org. is going to want to give up value for a #3 starter who is pitching like a #5. They want to buy low on him. You are being far too shortsighted if you think the start you saw a couple days ago is who Danks really is.

Anyone familiar with advanced statistics is aware that Danks is garbage. Do a Google search and read some articles. It's not just my opinion here. It's pretty common knowledge.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)

If anything, I just think the Astros have Danks' number.

He's been decent outside of the starts against Houston.