Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
s***'s going to get really busy in the next two hours, I'll post if I get another text but it appears the lawyers and finance are huddling.

Is that standard operating procedure or indicative of something serious being considered?

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
The sturdy lefty is in line for a market-value contract ($24 million-$25 million per season) and that’s suddenly too rich for the Red Sox’ taste. It doesn’t matter that Lester is a player who has proven he can succeed in the crucible of Boston baseball and had the second-best pitcher WAR (wins above replacement) in major league baseball at the start of Wednesday.

There is no question being burned by bad long-term deals given to Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, and Josh Beckett has distorted how the Sox view re-signing Lester.

Aging baby-boomers can identify with the Sox’ new team-building approach. They don’t trust anyone over 30.

Meet the risk-averse Red Sox, who are willing to cede one of the single biggest advantages derived from being in this baseball-obsessed market — the financial might to write off bad contracts. Deals that would be crippling for other clubs can be sold off by the Sox because they have a fan base that is willing to have its fealty monetized.

But the Sox want to build their team now like they have the budget of the Kansas City Royals.

You don’t have to be legendary political economist Adam Smith to figure out that if the Sox are going to try to legislate a one-team market correction for baseball they’re going to miss out on some quality players.

The persistent trade talk and seeming inevitability of a Lester deal made being at Fenway feel like waiting in line at the RMV — tedious, joyless, but entirely mandatory. It only got worse during the game, as the Sox sank back to 12 games below .500 (48-60).

At about 3:15 p.m, Twitter reports filtered in that the Sox had traded away a homegrown lefthanded pitcher who overpowered the Cardinals in the 2013 World Series.

But it wasn’t Lester.

The Sox shipped malcontent Felix Doubront to old friend Theo Epstein and the Chicago Cubs. Doubront just beat the Sox by two days in completely quitting on this team, after his embarrassing relief “effort’’ on Monday in a 14-1 drubbing by the Blue Jays.

Lester, who has been one of the few bright spots for the Sox, going 10-7 with a 2.52 ERA, was originally supposed to start Wednesday night against the Blue Jays. But the Sox announced Tuesday that Brandon Workman would make the start.

No need to risk damaging the merchandise before you hawk it for maximum value.

www.bostonglobe.com

Another quality hit job by the Red Sox. Why does anyone ever want to go there?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
Cespedes is a UFA in 2015. Very reasonable to think that Lester gives as much value in the next couple months as Cespedes does in the next couple months plus season. OAK sheds a big salary too.

I'm not sure how arbitration works for international free agents, but B-R says he's Arb eligible in 2016 and won't be a FA till 2018. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that's true.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Is that standard operating procedure or indicative of something serious being considered?

I usually only know if there is something financial involved in a transaction, thats why I get more info on FA's than trades. But all hands are on deck this early and I was told its a full house so I believe something is happening or at least in the process of being discussed. I would guess sending money with Danks somewhere.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
I'm not sure how arbitration works for international free agents, but B-R says he's Arb eligible in 2016 and won't be a FA till 2018. Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that's true.

There is a clause in his contract that makes him ineligible for arbitration. It's why he chose OAK over more lucrative offers

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/arti...ak&c_id=oak

Following a series of unpopular moves, the A's changed the course of their busy offseason on Monday, agreeing to terms with Cuban sensation Yoenis Cespedes for four years.

The 26-year-old outfielder is set to make $36 million during that time, MLB.com confirmed.

The deal, which won't be officially announced by the A's until Cespedes has taken a physical, precludes Oakland from offering him arbitration, meaning the outfielder will automatically become a free agent at the conclusion of the 2015 season.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)

I think he had something in his contract. He's not exactly a high on base guy. A poster last year said Beane didn't like him and he thought he would be available. That was a nice scoop.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
That is an INSANE haul for Lester

Beane is going for it. The Jason Hammel acquisition blew up in his face. Sort of like Garza last season, regressing to the mean. Theo dumped him just in time.

Edited by Dick Allen

I usually only know if there is something financial involved in a transaction, thats why I get more info on FA's than trades. But all hands are on deck this early and I was told its a full house so I believe something is happening or at least in the process of being discussed. I would guess sending money with Danks somewhere.

A Dunn trade is also likely to involve cash, though Danks would involve cash over multiple seasons and might require more suits to work out the details.

Good god, I need to sleep (work tonight) but I'm too excited for something to happen to go to bed. Dammit! Hope Danks (which pains me to say as I'm one of his biggest fans but I understand this franchise needs to move that salary) and Beckham are gone. Viciedo too as I'm one of his least biggest fans. I can settle on watching another couple of months of Dunn if those get done.

Edited by SoxAce

IF IF IF Cherington can find a rotation.

Right now it's a discontented Lackey, Buchholz (check out his ERA this year), Workman, Rubby and maybe Ranaudo....

The Red Sox offered 4 years and $70 million. That price is now at 5 years, $125 million and could be climbing closer to $150 depending on how he does the rest of this season and the playoffs.

Playing in Oakland's cavernous mausoleum will certainly help his stats.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
I like Oakland's side much more on this. Not super high on Cespedes for 1 year.

Same here. Would not be surprised if Boston trades Cespedes this winter. I think the supplemental pick is what Boston was really after, plus Boston has a chance of resigning Lester once he hits FA.

Edit: after a minute of thinking, I like Boston's side of this more. :D

Edited by StRoostifer