Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Even if Danks isn't traded today, it does not mean he won't be traded in August. Calm down Sox fans.

Yep.

Although I'm not sure I want to see a fatigued John Danks out there on the mound for us in the dog days of August trying to "build trade value" as that just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hopefully by the time we hit the deadline he's gone. Beckham too, that would be nice. We lose those twio today, even if we get back nothing we can call this thing a win.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Yep.

Although I'm not sure I want to see a fatigued John Danks out there on the mound for us in the dog days of August trying to "build trade value" as that just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Hopefully by the time we hit the deadline he's gone. Beckham too, that would be nice. We lose those twio today, even if we get back nothing we can call this thing a win.

Don't stop there. Dunn, ADA and Tank would be nice as well. I don't hold high hopes but one can dream, right?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
IMO, if there was anything really close, Danks would not start today. It wouldn't be worth it. Something has to change significantly or John Danks will be a White Sox at the deadline.

I love it as a hardball tactic, honestly.

Also, if you scratch him, you make a very loud statement to your team and fanbase about your intentions. If you don't ultimately trade him, everyone feels like that was the sole strategy anyway. If we don't manage any trades and Danks goes out and starts, Hahn can act like he was trying to add to the team or something.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Don't stop there. Dunn, ADA and Tank would be nice as well. I don't hold high hopes but one can dream, right?

If we get back an arm like Maurer then I'm okay with trading Tank. The next are worthless, won't bring in jack especially Dunn. We'll pay his entire salary in August and then he'll get a Jon Link or something, whoopie.

But just think (salivating) at how awesome we'd be in the reverse standings should our OF consist of Danks-Eaton-Sierra with Andy Wilkins as the DH, Taylor as the 4th OF, Marcus Semien at 2B and a rotation of Sale-Q-Carroll-Noesi-Reclamation project/Triple A garbage. Man we would rocket up those reverse standings quick. s*** may as well dump Bellisario too on someone so that Taylor Thompson can see more time, wow what an arm that kid has (sarcasm).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
That move was widely criticized.

And it truly minimizes the value you get out of your player. Every start counts down the stretch, don't water down a move or make a risk. Worse case, Danks starts tomorrow and other guys get some extra rest.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
I love it as a hardball tactic, honestly.

Also, if you scratch him, you make a very loud statement to your team and fanbase about your intentions. If you don't ultimately trade him, everyone feels like that was the sole strategy anyway. If we don't manage any trades and Danks goes out and starts, Hahn can act like he was trying to add to the team or something.

I agree, and really, what are the chances Danks suffers an injury that negates the deal? This is ridiculous thinking to me, might as well ask him to not go up or down stairs during the month of July and to stay away from mirrors and black cats for at least 2 weeks leading up to the deadline. It's all nonsense.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:31 AM)
Rock - anything new? looks like he will be making the start barring a last minute call. you thought he'd certainly be scratched about an hour ago. thanks for all you bring to the board man. really appreciate it!

Not getting any responses so I assume it's busy. But no info.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
I think we should keep in mind that pitchers like Lackey and Price likely get moved first before teams are forced to fall back on looking at Danks. There are still better pitchers available at the moment.

Both of those teams want a haul & both can make their deals in the offseason. The Rays probably don't care about Danks because the teams that would be in on him probably couldn't afford Price anyway, but the Red Sox may view Danks as a threat in that some other team can step up and take on the contract & then wouldn't have to offer up any talent which of course would be very necessary in a Lackey deal.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
I think we should keep in mind that pitchers like Lackey and Price likely get moved first before teams are forced to fall back on looking at Danks. There are still better pitchers available at the moment.

I don't think they are the same markets. It's like people shopping for a Rolls vs. people shopping for a Chevy.

Danks will be able to be moved after today, if that is what it comes down to. I think the speculation about teams' interest in him probably had to do with a little BS and a lot of having the White Sox eat enough money it doesn't make sense to trade him.

As to Rock's report all the bean counters are in place, it doesn't necessarily have to do with Danks being traded. A lot of stuff comes up today, and they have little time to go through the financial stuff. It's like they are on call.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
If we get back an arm like Maurer then I'm okay with trading Tank. The next are worthless, won't bring in jack especially Dunn. We'll pay his entire salary in August and then he'll get a Jon Link or something, whoopie.

But just think (salivating) at how awesome we'd be in the reverse standings should our OF consist of Danks-Eaton-Sierra with Andy Wilkins as the DH, Taylor as the 4th OF, Marcus Semien at 2B and a rotation of Sale-Q-Carroll-Noesi-Reclamation project/Triple A garbage. Man we would rocket up those reverse standings quick. s*** may as well dump Bellisario too on someone so that Taylor Thompson can see more time, wow what an arm that kid has (sarcasm).

:lol:

Hell, the Sox might then make a run at Boston for a top 5 pick next year!

What surprises me is the supposed interest in Rios. IMO, Tank would be a better option seeing as how Rios has done nothing this year and carries a hefty salary when compared to his production,or lack thereof.

I'm thinking Beckham, ADA and Dunn are very realistic DFA candidates.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
What surprises me is the supposed interest in Rios. IMO, Tank would be a better option seeing as how Rios has done nothing this year and carries a hefty salary when compared to his production,or lack thereof.

Alex Rios Trade Talks Gaining Traction

By Steve Adams [July 31, 2014 at 11:29am CDT]

11:29am: The Mariners want Rios, tweets Rosenthal, but the Rangers are “closer elsewhere” in trade talks.

THURSDAY, 11:08am: The Royals, Giants and Mariners are all in the mix for Rios, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. To a lesser degree, he adds, the Reds and Indians are in the mix. The Yankees aren’t heavily involved at this time, says Heyman.