Yanks on Danks

southsider2k5

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
That's not the point.

If you have a track record of doing something over 1000 PA, sucking in 250 PA doesn't mean you're now terrible. Especially when Craig's only 30. He's not 35.

Viciedo's never had sustained success at the big league level. His best season featured a 99 wRC+. That's the definition of mediocre at best.

How much of it is fluke and how much of it is talent change? Craig has dealt with a lot of injuries over the years.

His numbers are down this year, but his K rate is up, he's walking slightly less, his overall power is down, his line drive and fly balls rates are down, and thus, his ground ball rate is up.

Maybe he bounces back, but the thing is, he's actually swinging at good pitches - he's swinging at fewer pitches out of the zone and more pitches in the zone (and making appropriate contact for both). Perhaps there's a hole in his swing opposing pitchers have exploited and Craig just has to make the adjustment, but I wouldn't be too confident about him long term.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
There's still life to a Danks trade. Wonder what teams the scouts rep? Yanks I'm sure.

Sox paid off a bunch of actorsa to sit next to the Yankees scouts & pose as scouts from other organizations. The idea here is to create the impression of interest. The actors will say things like "you know I really don't think this guy is overpaid at all" and "you know they say he lost velocity but I sure don't see it."

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
Monday is the day that the Yanks know for sure about Tanaka. I could see a waiver trade.

True, he'd probably pass right through waivers, but I think the money left on his deal will ultimately put the brakes on any deal.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
They didn't scratch him, so they gave up 3 hours before the deadline.

They can still trade John Danks. They haven't given up anything. If they scratch him, they indicate that they want to trade him no matter what. They aren't getting the price they want, they believe they can get more out of him from the Yankees (or Marlins), and they do not have to trade him. If the Yankees want to play ball, then they can play ball and the Sox will pull him from the game.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Sox paid off a bunch of actorsa to sit next to the Yankees scouts & pose as scouts from other organizations. The idea here is to create the impression of interest. The actors will say things like "you know I really don't think this guy is overpaid at all" and "you know they say he lost velocity but I sure don't see it."

"You know, John Danks really does look like a man who gives a good hug."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
They can still trade John Danks. They haven't given up anything. If they scratch him, they indicate that they want to trade him no matter what. They aren't getting the price they want, they believe they can get more out of him from the Yankees (or Marlins), and they do not have to trade him. If the Yankees want to play ball, then they can play ball and the Sox will pull him from the game.

The purchasing team gets one less start out of him. That = lower value.

I could sort of tell this last night when Rienzo, the presumptive starter, pitched (not that he couldn't have pitched a couple of innings today).

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
If the White Sox thought they could get out from under Danks' deal, he wouldn't be pitching today.

And yet scouts are in Detroit to see Danks pitch. Again, there are better pitchers on the market that teams are after and as those pitchers move, interest in Danks could pick up.

Another thing is this would not be speculated if the Sox had a usual 6pm start time in Detroit. Teams are still dealing while Danks goes to the mound 3 hours prior to the deadline. One more point is that Danks start will likely be finished before the deadline which will give teams and their scouts one last chance to see him pitch before an offer is made.

None of this means a trade will happen, just that a trade remains possible.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
The purchasing team gets one less start out of him. That = lower value.

I could sort of tell this last night when Rienzo, the presumptive starter, pitched (not that he couldn't have pitched a couple of innings today).

This isn't David Price we're talking about. It's John Danks. You aren't getting a hell of a lot for him any ways and it's not as if the Sox have no use for him. I mean, really, if they trade Danks, who is replacing him in the rotation? Andre Rienzo? That's real exciting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
Plus Craig is owed $27 million the next 3 + years.

He also sucks my balls. I'd much rather have Viciedo and it's not even close.

I think Tank gets too much hate here even though he is a disappointment. Craig isn't a solution anywhere for us, and if we made a deal like that with Tank we'd just be going backwards. Tank needs to bring back youth + upside if he goes in a deal.

JMO but homeless people leave presents on the sidewalk that are more appealing than Craig. Just hunt around a bus or train station there's all kinds of better things you can pick upo & put in your mouth/pocket that is better than Craig. Maybe Craig & Tommy Milone together wow what a package that would be. God damn the guy is garabge.