7/23 Royals @ White Sox 1:10 CT

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
Seattle losing again

The dreaded "players only" meeting has worked for the first time in recent history.

At least, it does when you're facing the White Sox.

I think KC still has another good run in them. The problem is that Ventura hasn't been the same pitcher since that early-season valgus/elbow concern and skipped start. They're stuck in no man's land at this trade deadline.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (1dog @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
It's insane. For those that think Robin has any clue whatsoever, how do you justify this?

Having him in the lineup is bad enough, but batting him 2nd is just ludicrous.

Trade him for a mule.....and shoot the mule.

Batting him in front of Abreu? I think it's a good idea for a guy to see more fastballs when he's in a slump. And he came into the game hitting .303 against Shields with 3 doubles and 2 dingers in 33 AB's.

There is some exciting talent on this team but they are far outweighed by some very subpar talent. I can't lay all that on Robin, sorry. And I agree with your point about the mule.

QUOTE (1dog @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
It's insane. For those that think Robin has any clue whatsoever, how do you justify this?

Having him in the lineup is bad enough, but batting him 2nd is just ludicrous.

Trade him for a mule.....and shoot the mule.

So you are under the impression he's so dumb he puts Beckham there without knowing any better?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Not really..and they have Franklin playing 2B at AAA.

But a trade along the lines of Borchard/Matt Thornton...we might as well include Mitchell so there are two first-rounders going, and, what the heck, K.Walker, so we can clear the decks on 3 drafts.

That's the kind of trade you make in the offseason or with a fellow dismal team. Mariners need immediate help, not a flyer.

The Sox need a talent infusion, particularly on the mound, that won't be fixed by signing a couple of free agents.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Batting him in front of Abreu? I think it's a good idea for a guy to see more fastballs when he's in a slump. And he came into the game hitting .303 against Shields with 3 doubles and 2 dingers in 33 AB's. There is some exciting talent on this team but they are far outweighed by some very subpar talent. I can't lay all that on Robin, sorry. And I agree with your point about the mule.

When Gordon struggles, that hitch in his swing we've been talking about for years becomes more pronounced and it's harder and harder for him to catch up with 93+ fastballs.

He's more likely to get hot against a Bruce Chen type (although I think he was 2/30 coming into yesterday against him) than someone with higher-quality stuff like Shields or even Guthrie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
When Gordon struggles, that hitch in his swing we've been talking about for years becomes more pronounced and it's harder and harder for him to catch up with quality fastballs.

He's more likely to get hot against a Bruce Chen type (although I think he was 2/30 coming into yesterday against him) than someone with higher-quality stuff like Shields or even Guthrie.

He's been atrocious in the 7th and 8th spot. Moving him around to get him out of a funk is fine, especially when his only upside is trade bait. And also, nobody else hit today, so not sure Beckham was the issue.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
He's been atrocious in the 7th and 8th spot. Moving him around to get him out of a funk is fine, especially when his only upside is trade bait. And also, nobody else hit today, so not sure Beckham was the issue.

Except for Tyler's offensive show, haha.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
The weaker hitters are always easier to pick when the rest of the lineup isn't doing anything. Today's game is just another example of the Royals owning the Sox. Taking a series just wasn't meant to be.

You need to add the Tigers from 2006-2014 to your signature quote about the ALCD.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
Yeah but they have a huge payroll.

Back in their peak from 1994-2002, the Indians had some pretty big payrolls as well...although the majority of them were pretty reasonable lock-ups of their younger players.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:18 PM)
please. his knee happened to hit the glove.

Ya I guess calling it a good play by him is a bit much...It was just a tough break, and I'm not just saying that because I've been pro Flowers the last few days.

I caught in high school and that happen at least once or twice to me so maybe that's why I'm "giving him a break".

Q is really pitching well this year. Imagine if he gets pushed back to a #3 when Rodon arrives. I thnk we have a shot to have a great rotation in 2016. Now hopefully we find a closer by then as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Q is really pitching well this year. Imagine if he gets pushed back to a #3 when Rodon arrives. I thnk we have a shot to have a great rotation in 2016. Now hopefully we find a closer by then as well.

These Rodon will be our immediate #2 comments are just ridiculous. Sale didn't come in and be our instant #1. It ultimately happened but that isn't where he was penciled in and those sort of results are extremely rare. The expectations around here for Rodon are just ridiculous. Seen way too many, he'll be a #2 next year comments. That would be awesome but I certainly wouldn't expect that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 07:13 PM)
These Rodon will be our immediate #2 comments are just ridiculous. Sale didn't come in and be our instant #1. It ultimately happened but that isn't where he was penciled in and those sort of results are extremely rare. The expectations around here for Rodon are just ridiculous. Seen way too many, he'll be a #2 next year comments. That would be awesome but I certainly wouldn't expect that.

I said 2016

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:28 PM)
We lost today that's all folks. But, when your bullpen allows 7 runner's in 2 innings things are bound to get ugly

It's hard to believe this team would have been a wild card contender if it didn't have a laughingstock of a bullpen. Hahn "almost" put together a WC contending team in a short period of time. He made one trade too many. The Reed trade was laughably bad w/out a closer still on the roster. I realize Reed isn't all that great, but he was comfortable in Chicago and I think he'd have been a great ninth inning option all year leaving the other bodies for the set up roles.

It's getting bad again vs. Central teams. Sox truly are the worst team in the division sadly, when Minnesota isn't even trying to put together a good team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:03 PM)
It's hard to believe this team would have been a wild card contender if it didn't have a laughingstock of a bullpen. Hahn "almost" put together a WC contending team in a short period of time. He made one trade too many. The Reed trade was laughably bad w/out a closer still on the roster. I realize Reed isn't all that great, but he was comfortable in Chicago and I think he'd have been a great ninth inning option all year leaving the other bodies for the set up roles.

It's getting bad again vs. Central teams. Sox truly are the worst team in the division sadly, when Minnesota isn't even trying to put together a good team.

Hahn said that the plan at closer was gonna be Nate Jones. In his eyes they had a closer on the team, he just so happened to have gotten hurt before the season started.

Calling the trade laughably bad is silly. Hindsight it hasn't worked yet, esp with Gillaspie hitting the way he has, but Hahn apparently had more faith in Jones than Conor.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
Hahn said that the plan at closer was gonna be Nate Jones. In his eyes they had a closer on the team, he just so happened to have gotten hurt before the season started.

Calling the trade laughably bad is silly. Hindsight it hasn't worked yet, esp with Gillaspie hitting the way he has, but Hahn apparently had more faith in Jones than Conor.

When Greg said that the trade was "laughably bad" it was probably an exaggeration, certainly an inaccurate adverb. No one here is laughing. But it was not a good trade. It'll likely take another year before the trade can be accurately assessed, but I'm sure Hahn did not forsee Davidson hitting .210 in AAA with gobs of strikeouts. Reed now up to 24 saves by the way, which is a fairly predictable level for him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
When Greg said that the trade was "laughably bad" it was probably an exaggeration, certainly an inaccurate adverb. No one here is laughing. But it was not a good trade. It'll likely take another year before the trade can be accurately assessed, but I'm sure Hahn did not forsee Davidson hitting .210 in AAA with gobs of strikeouts. Reed now up to 24 saves by the way, which is a fairly predictable level for him.

5 blown saves, 1.99 HR/9, 3.98 era. He is gasoline, we all saw that last season, there is enough of that in the current bullpen