Konerko's Farewell Tour

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
Well, yes, you are correct there. Many other players could have provided more value to the Sox. But you are talking about a team with L. Garcia as a key reserve. This team has a ton of unfilled holes. It's not like the Sox have a bunch of prospects being held back by Paulie digging in at the plate and shrugging his shoulders once in a while.

Do you know why Leury Garcia is on the bench? Because he can play every position on the field. And they need that because your boy PAULLY is on the bench acting as a pinch hitter against lefties and occasionally catch balls at 1B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
Do you know why Leury Garcia is on the bench? Because he can play every position on the field. And they need that because your boy PAULLY is on the bench acting as a pinch hitter against lefties and occasionally catch balls at 1B.

L. Garcia can't shine Paulie's shoes.

The White Sox are the most sentimental organization I've ever seen. They will not let go of their veterans. Konerko's understandable, and he deserves high respect, but there are others they just insist on hanging on to; or refuse to move along even though it would help the team.

And it really is starting to interfere with making a serious effort to win.... And is there really any substantive difference between "he's loyal", "he's a hero" and "he's great in the clubhouse" and curses and goats?

I'm glad they had to go through this with Konerko in a season where they wouldn't have contended anyway, but enough is enough of this stuff.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
The White Sox are the most sentimental organization I've ever seen. They will not let go of their veterans. Konerko's understandable, and he deserves high respect, but there are others they just insist on hanging on to; or refuse to move along even though it would help the team.

And it really is starting to interfere with making a serious effort to win.... And is there really any substantive difference between "he's loyal", "he's a hero" and "he's great in the clubhouse" and curses and goats?

I'm glad they had to go through this with Konerko in a season where they wouldn't have contended anyway, but enough is enough of this stuff.

The organization that cut Carlton Fisk the day after honoring him? Mark Buehrle and Frank Thomas finished their careers elsewhere. Jim Thome was traded for nothing so he could try to win a ring.

This was a rebuilding year and there are no significant prospects being blocked by PK this year. Had either of those not been true, I bet they wouldn't have resigned him for 2014.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
The organization that cut Carlton Fisk the day after honoring him? Mark Buehrle and Frank Thomas finished their careers elsewhere. Jim Thome was traded for nothing so he could try to win a ring.

This was a rebuilding year and there are no significant prospects being blocked by PK this year. Had either of those not been true, I bet they wouldn't have resigned him for 2014.

If anyone has watched major league baseball for the last two years and seen the knobslobbers of themselves that the Yankees have put on for Jeter and Rivera which are unprecedented in major league history, they shouldn't be able to make a post like that with an honest face.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
If anyone has watched major league baseball for the last two years and seen the knobslobbers of themselves that the Yankees have put on for Jeter and Rivera which are unprecedented in major league history, they shouldn't be able to make a post like that with an honest face.

Jeter and Rivera each had a final season LOGO.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
After we kissed Jeter's ass in ChiTown, Jeter better give PK some gifts today or the Yankees can be ashamed

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but the Yankees should do something. The Cubs did something. And the four division teams should do something for Konerko in September.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but the Yankees should do something. The Cubs did something. And the four division teams should do something for Konerko in September.

Last opposing player to hit one out at the old Stadium as well, PK has some NYY history

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)

When he comes to KC for the final series, the Royals should give him some small token. He's hit a lot of home runs vs. Kansas City. I think they should give him some coupons to all the great legendary BBQ joints in town before Game One of the series. Maybe he could get away the day of the second and third games of the series for lunch. Have George Brett greet him at home plate with a signed ball from he and the current Royals saying thanks for the memories and give him the BBQ.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 11:03 PM)
When he comes to KC for the final series, the Royals should give him some small token. He's hit a lot of home runs vs. Kansas City. I think they should give him some coupons to all the great legendary BBQ joints in town before Game One of the series. Maybe he could get away the day of the second and third games of the series for lunch. Have George Brett greet him at home plate with a signed ball from he and the current Royals saying thanks for the memories and give him the BBQ.

Twins too, maybe Indians and Tigers, I'd be far beyond satisfied, amazing how underrated he is to this day, what a great player, that's what happens when you shut up and play the game right

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 08:47 PM)
L. Garcia can't shine Paulie's shoes.

Well, #1, I'm sure he can because shoe shining is not difficult. #2, you failed to understand. If the Sox DIDN'T have Konerko on the roster, they could have used a guy who plays the infield a bit better as a backup and then they could have had Jordan Danks on the roster all year long too. Not that it matters in the loss column - they may have won a few more games - but because of Konerko's inability to play anything but 1B, they needed someone to play all over the diamond. Players with that ability don't always hit well. Enter Leury Garcia.

If Paul Konerko is not on this roster, Leury Garcia is not on this roster. Thus, you are being incredibly hypocritical talking about the shortcomings of this team while applauding Konerko and his "veteran presence" on the bench because those two events are tied together. They are mutually inclusive events. There is cause and effect - the cause is that Paul Konerko is on the roster, so the effect is that Leury Garcia is also on the roster.

Do you understand this yet or should I keep expounding?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
Well, #1, I'm sure he can because shoe shining is not difficult. #2, you failed to understand. If the Sox DIDN'T have Konerko on the roster, they could have used a guy who plays the infield a bit better as a backup and then they could have had Jordan Danks on the roster all year long too. Not that it matters in the loss column - they may have won a few more games - but because of Konerko's inability to play anything but 1B, they needed someone to play all over the diamond. Players with that ability don't always hit well. Enter Leury Garcia.

If Paul Konerko is not on this roster, Leury Garcia is not on this roster. Thus, you are being incredibly hypocritical talking about the shortcomings of this team while applauding Konerko and his "veteran presence" on the bench because those two events are tied together. They are mutually inclusive events. There is cause and effect - the cause is that Paul Konerko is on the roster, so the effect is that Leury Garcia is also on the roster.

I imagine a 2015 bench of Wilkins, Leury Garcia, Semien, Sierra, and Nieto/Phegley, on the FA market I'd target AJ (for cheap), Hart (2 year deal), McDonald/Punto (cheap veteran bench) and maybe even Sizemore if anyone offensively for FA, pitching wise I think Masterson for cheap and with options for '16 and '17 is a must with some veteran relivers (McGowan, Bell, Perez, Hochevar, Breslow, Miller are names to look at)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)

Plus he is really short, so it is much easier to get to PK's shoes.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
I imagine a 2015 bench of Wilkins, Leury Garcia, Semien, Sierra, and Nieto/Phegley, on the FA market I'd target AJ (for cheap), Hart (2 year deal), McDonald/Punto (cheap veteran bench) and maybe even Sizemore if anyone offensively for FA, pitching wise I think Masterson for cheap and with options for '16 and '17 is a must with some veteran relivers (McGowan, Bell, Perez, Hochevar, Breslow, Miller are names to look at)

There's a lot here to mull over, but here's my 2 cents. If your catchers are AJP and either Nieto or Phegley, well, good luck with that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)

I liked your cause and effect, and enjoyed your analysis here, but let's do this for DeAza. Let's do it for Tank. Let's do it for Beckham. There are a lot of guys on the roster 'blocking' other guys who can't play the game of baseball effectively. I happen to think Paulie was not exactly the worst player on the team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
I liked your cause and effect, and enjoyed your analysis here, but let's do this for DeAza. Let's do it for Tank. Let's do it for Beckham. There are a lot of guys on the roster 'blocking' other guys who can't play the game of baseball effectively. I happen to think Paulie was not exactly the worst player on the team.

Viciedo was seemingly going to platoon with De Aza and get about 300-400 plate appearances prior to Garcia getting hurt. He can play multiple positions (I think it's safe to say he can play LF, RF, and 1B). He's young and got years of control still. De Aza was viewed as a competent starting player. Beckham was given one more chance. Those players all have bigger roles with the ability to diversify their roles while also having (relative) youth on their side. They could have had a future on this team if they performed. Konerko has no future on this team, and this team is rebuilding, which is a time when teams make critical decisions on their future.

I love and respect everything Konerko did for the organization, and I ultimately didn't care that Konerko was on the roster, but those people who have or had a beef with Konerko have/had legitimate gripes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Viciedo was seemingly going to platoon with De Aza and get about 300-400 plate appearances prior to Garcia getting hurt. He can play multiple positions (I think it's safe to say he can play LF, RF, and 1B). He's young and got years of control still. De Aza was viewed as a competent starting player. Beckham was given one more chance. Those players all have bigger roles with the ability to diversify their roles while also having (relative) youth on their side. They could have had a future on this team if they performed. Konerko has no future on this team, and this team is rebuilding, which is a time when teams make critical decisions on their future.

I love and respect everything Konerko did for the organization, and I ultimately didn't care that Konerko was on the roster, but those people who have or had a beef with Konerko have/had legitimate gripes.

They really don't. The spot gets very limited playing time. If you want one of your better minor leaguers there, you are basically wasting a year of development. I initially thought it ultimately cost Jordan Danks a spot, but he did get some time with injuries earlier and his play wound up costing him a spot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
They really don't. The spot gets very limited playing time. If you want one of your better minor leaguers there, you are basically wasting a year of development. I initially thought it ultimately cost Jordan Danks a spot, but he did get some time with injuries earlier and his play wound up costing him a spot.

Then they could have provided value to the future of the team through trade. I think the Sox were justified in keeping those guys, but it's obviously bitten them in the ass (as pretty much every short-term signing they made this offseason has).

The Sox luck with that compared to the Cubs lately has been ridiculous.