Konerko's Farewell Tour

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)
Then they could have provided value to the future of the team through trade. I think the Sox were justified in keeping those guys, but it's obviously bitten them in the ass (as pretty much every short-term signing they made this offseason has).

The Sox luck with that compared to the Cubs lately has been ridiculous.

I doubt they sign someone else. They still had Keppinger, and I would imagine they thought he would be healthy enough to play. If Paulie doesn't come back, maybe he still is in baseball.

Ultimately, it didn't cost the White Sox anything, and Paulie has had his moments. He still gets the biggest cheers at USCF. Letting him go out like this instead of the Fisk, Thomas, McDowell, Maggs ugliness when they left is preferrable and ultimately may help the White Sox. A. with free agents and B. being omited from no trade clauses.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I doubt they sign someone else. They still had Keppinger, and I would imagine they thought he would be healthy enough to play. If Paulie doesn't come back, maybe he still is in baseball.

Ultimately, it didn't cost the White Sox anything, and Paulie has had his moments. He still gets the biggest cheers at USCF. Letting him go out like this instead of the Fisk, Thomas, McDowell, Maggs ugliness when they left is preferrable and ultimately may help the White Sox. A. with free agents and B. being omited from no trade clauses.

Everything else being equal, I'll agree that this way is preferable. But I have trouble believing that giving Paulie a full-season sendoff will have any effect on dealings with other players. That's a stretch.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Twins too, maybe Indians and Tigers, I'd be far beyond satisfied, amazing how underrated he is to this day, what a great player, that's what happens when you shut up and play the game right

IF we didn't have Adam Dunn, he would put up decent numbers as a DH. In Sept, put Dunn in the pen.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
IF we didn't have Adam Dunn, he would put up decent numbers as a DH. In Sept, put Dunn in the pen.

With the team stinking as much as ever and the bullpen in need of a lefty, that's a cool idea. The fans would love it and ultimately it doesn't matter much. If indeed this is Dunn's final season it'd be a fun way to go out, as a reliever.

-- MLB annoys me with running the same commercials over and over. It's like torture to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
With the team stinking as much as ever and the bullpen in need of a lefty, that's a cool idea. The fans would love it and ultimately it doesn't matter much. If indeed this is Dunn's final season it'd be a fun way to go out, as a reliever.

-- MLB annoys me with running the same commercials over and over. It's like torture to me.

Dunn doesn't throw left handed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 11:55 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m

Robin said today that they will try to play Konerko every game of that last four-game homestand vs. KC.

Konerko is willing to do as much or as little as Robin wants. He did joke that if they play him too much, he might demand a trade

I'd say that's bad news if you are the Royals. If he's ever going to get hot, it's against them who he owned during his career. Those four games are going to likely be huge for KC probably. If I'm KC I do not cut Chen until after that series. He has to start a game if you are KC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
I'd say that's bad news if you are the Royals. If he's ever going to get hot, it's against them who he owned during his career. Those four games are going to likely be huge for KC probably. If I'm KC I do not cut Chen until after that series. He has to start a game if you are KC.

The last 4 years PK has hit .230 vs the Royals in 222 Abs soooo ya, there's that.

Greg once again talking out of his ass. Do you even bother to fact check anything you say?

Konerko vs KC: .263/.349/.459/.808

Konerko vs every other team: .282/.355/.492/.847

Sure an .808 OPS is good, but it is not "owning" a team especially when it is significantly lower than your OPS versus everyone else. And that was mostly from when Konerko was good. Imagine what he'll do now. Maybe a .600 OPS?

Paul Konerko is bad at baseball. I'm sure the Royals are hoping to see him in all 4 games.

WHITE SOX PAUL KONERKO DAY TO TAKE PLACE ON SEPTEMBER 27

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, September 3, 2014

New Commercial Commemorates Seminal Moment in Konerko’s Career and White Sox History; Social Media Campaign Gives Fans Opportunity to be Part of Unique Konerko Movie; Team Will Honor Retiring Captain with “Club Konerko” Seating Section and Giveaways in September

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox will stage a special pregame tribute honoring retiring captain and team legend Paul Konerko on Saturday, September 27 when the team takes on Kansas City at 6:10 p.m. The pregame ceremony will be a celebration of Konerko’s career as a member of the White Sox and his legacy on and off the field in franchise history.

The White Sox today also launched a special tribute video in honor of Paul Konerko. The 60-second commercial, which can be viewed at whitesox.com/Konerko, thanks the captain for his time in Chicago, and reenacts one of the most memorable moments in Konerko’s career and in club history through the imagination of a young White Sox fan.

The team also is giving fans the opportunity to be featured in a social media video project – #ThanksPK. An online “movie” documenting Konerko’s White Sox career will be created exclusively from hundreds of fan photos posted to Twitter and Instagram. Fans are being asked to show their favorite Konerko memories in photos and write what they love most about the captain’s career, while including the #ThanksPK hashtag in their Twitter and Instagram posts between now and September 13 for a chance to be included in the movie.

Throughout the month of September the White Sox are honoring Konerko with special fan giveaways for each of the month’s 11 home games. The month-long festivities include the creation of “Club Konerko” in Sections 158 and 159 (total of 1,176 seats). Fans who purchase tickets in one of the two designated sections during the month of September will receive a Paul Konerko-themed collectible (except for September 8 and 13) and "Thank You, Paulie" sign. All fans in attendance for the September 8 and 13 games will have the opportunity to receive an exclusive Paul Konerko giveaway item.

A full list of all the Paul Konerko-themed giveaways in the month of September, along with ticket information on Club Konerko, is available at whitesox.com/Konerko. The list of giveaways is highlighted by the game on Saturday, September 13 vs. Minnesota, when the first 20,000 fans will receive a “Piece of Paulie” baseball card, a special trading card with a piece of a game-worn Paul Konerko uniform, presented by Wintrust Community Banks.

Paul Konerko has played 16 seasons with the White Sox. The six-time American League All-Star is the White Sox franchise leader in total bases (4,008). As of September 2, Konerko (439) was nine homers behind Hall-of-Famer Frank Thomas (448) for the franchise record, while ranking third in hits (2,290) and doubles (406). The 38-year-old has seen 36,580 pitches at the plate throughout his major league career.

Tickets to all White Sox games are available online at whitesox.com, via phone at 866-SOX-GAME and in person at the U.S. Cellular Field ticket office.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 28, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Greg once again talking out of his ass. Do you even bother to fact check anything you say?

Konerko vs KC: .263/.349/.459/.808

Konerko vs every other team: .282/.355/.492/.847

Sure an .808 OPS is good, but it is not "owning" a team especially when it is significantly lower than your OPS versus everyone else. And that was mostly from when Konerko was good. Imagine what he'll do now. Maybe a .600 OPS?

Konerko has a ton of home runs against the Royals. I believe it's the most of any opposing player. Not saying you, but the general vibe on this board regarding Paulie is negative or sarcastic more than praiseworthy which is hard for me to believe. I will never criticize Paulie.

Edited by greg775

If he's got a fractured hand, there's really no reason to play any more. The Royals likely will be playing for keeps that series and it's stupid for Paulie to risk hurting it more. Sure if he's healthy it'd be nice to play all four games and see if he can hit a homer on his final at bat. But why risk it? I guess if he wants to risk it, it's his body. But with this being a terrible team going nowhere and no reason to play, I'd just retire now if I was Paulie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
If he's got a fractured hand, there's really no reason to play any more. The Royals likely will be playing for keeps that series and it's stupid for Paulie to risk hurting it more. Sure if he's healthy it'd be nice to play all four games and see if he can hit a homer on his final at bat. But why risk it? I guess if he wants to risk it, it's his body. But with this being a terrible team going nowhere and no reason to play, I'd just retire now if I was Paulie.

Dude, the resident doctor has spoken. His words hold more merit than your drivel. :)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2014 -> 11:36 PM)

You're right, I'd rather he rest up and be 100% for Spring Training next year.