Ferguson Riots

Brian

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
A real jury trial would require the prosecutor to create an absolutely ridiculous theory of the crime to try and wedge into the facts of physical evidence. I don't see that benefiting anybody.

No, it wouldn't, and I really don't know why you keep saying that. Non-expert questions based on a non-expert understanding of the crime scene from a Grand Juror aren't exactly strong evidence.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Everytime black people get screwed like they did yesterday and do the stuff they did, they get called animals for acting entirely human, animals don't loot and riot, doesn't make sense to me to call them animals. Why not call them idiots, morons, dumbasses? Animals? Really?

I covered this pages ago. It's based on the perceived lack of the higher cognitive ability to know the difference between right and wrong and the ability to restrain ourselves.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I covered this pages ago. It's based on the perceived lack of the higher cognitive ability to know the difference between right and wrong and the ability to restrain ourselves.

That's not exactly downplaying the racial stereotyping linked with calling a bunch of black people animals, though, because that's just another racist stereotype.

Just to be clear because I can't think of a way to rephrase that sentence, I'm not saying you're racist or what you just said was racist but pointing out the racial subtext behind calling a bunch of black people animals.

That's not exactly downplaying the racial stereotyping linked with calling a bunch of black people animals, though, because that's just another racist stereotype.

Just to be clear because I can't think of a way to rephrase that sentence, I'm not saying you're racist or what you just said was racist but pointing out the racial subtext behind calling a bunch of black people animals.

Calling anybody animals isn't productive and doesn't help anybody. Last night, criminals committed felonies in response to the grand jury decision.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)

lol, man to be fair you can find a racial subtext behind anything.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
lol, man to be fair you can find a racial subtext behind anything.

there's a long and well-documented history of this being done explicitly. hell, they were literally treated as beasts of burden for about a quarter of a millennium on this continent. saying that black people have often been portrayed as unintelligent simpletons and brutes bordering on animalistic behavior isn't some sort of crazy leftwing theory.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
there's a long and well-documented history of this being done explicitly. hell, they were literally treated as beasts of burden for about a quarter of a millennium on this continent. saying that black people have often been portrayed as unintelligent simpletons and brutes bordering on animalistic behavior isn't some sort of crazy leftwing theory.

It's not, but if you haven't noticed the vast majority of people in this country are afraid of their own shadow when it comes to racial issues. We are so far removed from that line of thinking.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)

Like I said before, I hear kids, athletes, teenagers etc called animals. I find zero racial stereotype with it whatsoever.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)

None of us were alive back then, s*** my family wasnt even ON this continent. I find no connection to what was done back then. My family came from a very notorious area in Germany and I do not have ingrained hatred or biases toward jews based on what some idiots did before I was born.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
None of us were alive back then, s*** my family wasnt even ON this continent. I find no connection to what was done back then. My family came from a very notorious area in Germany and I do not have ingrained hatred or biases toward jews based on what some idiots did before I was born.

It was a comment on where the stereotyping originally came from. Stereotyping black people as dumb animals didn't die out before you were born. Hell, The Bell Curve, which argued that blacks were genetically dumber, was published and widely debated in the 1990's.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
It's not, but if you haven't noticed the vast majority of people in this country are afraid of their own shadow when it comes to racial issues. We are so far removed from that line of thinking.

well, there's this journal entry from one of the witnesses in this trial that doesn't exactly scream "so far removed from that line of thinking":

August 9th Saturday 8 am

Well I’m gonna take my random drive to Florissant. Need to understand the Black race better so I stop calling Blacks n*****sand start calling them People. Like dad always said you cant fear or hate an entire race cause of what one man did 40 yrs ago.

This person admits to having a problem even calling blacks people. Of course, they just happened to take a drive to Ferguson that day, be at the scene of the shooting and give a recounting that's strongly in favor of Wilson.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
It was a comment on where the stereotyping originally came from. Stereotyping black people as dumb animals didn't die out before you were born. Hell, The Bell Curve, which argued that blacks were genetically dumber, was published and widely debated in the 1990's.

Yes and there are sects of people who make dumb s*** up about all kinds of races and creeds, doesnt mean its legitimate or recognized.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
well, there's this journal entry from one of the witnesses in this trial that doesn't exactly scream "so far removed from that line of thinking":

This person admits to having a problem even calling blacks people. Of course, they just happened to take a drive to Ferguson that day, be at the scene of the shooting and give a recounting that's strongly in favor of Wilson.

Really? One example?

Brown's step father was on video screaming to the protesters to burn the town down. I guess black people love violence.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Rioters are going after other cops families and homes. Sounds like a reasonable reaction.

I do not wish to say Greg told you so, but some of you blasted me for predicting the riots that would happen after the verdict. Since nobody is patting me on the back I thought I'd remind you that I'm not always wrong about stuff.

I still stand by my statement they should have announced the verdict at 9 a.m. I think that makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
I do not wish to say Greg told you so, but some of you blasted me for predicting the riots that would happen after the verdict. Since nobody is patting me on the back I thought I'd remind you that I'm not always wrong about stuff.

I still stand by my statement they should have announced the verdict at 9 a.m. I think that makes a lot of sense.

If they had announced the verdict at 9 AM, all of the people at work, commuting to work would have been in danger. Any kids going to or from school would have been in danger.

Remember Reginald Denny? That's the reason why the decision was announced at night

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
Really? One example?

Brown's step father was on video screaming to the protesters to burn the town down. I guess black people love violence.

And Brown's father has repeatedly called for peace.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
It seems like the National Guard presence as really made a difference. A lot better tonight, why weren't they out there from the beginning is beyond me

A lot of the trouble makers already stole what they wanted.

If Michael Brown was shot in the exact same way, except the cop was black, is this a story that goes world wide? Do people destroy their neighborhood the same way if the black cop doesn't get indicted? I

No, and to go further, if the initial witnesses don't lie by claiming that Brown had his hands up and/or his back to the officer when he was shot, and they admit that he was charging the officer, the story doesn't reach anywhere near this level.

There were protests (mostly peaceful) in cities all over the US last night with people chanting "Hands up, don't shoot" which is all based on the initial lie that Brown had his hands up when he was shot.