Dunn traded to Athletics for Nolan Sanburn

Kyyle23

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Bassitt, Rienzo, Carroll, Cleto, Guerra, Surkamp, Snodgress, etc., etc. this team is going to be loaded with guys trying to take a 2015 bullpen slot as it is. All the guys mentioned also have at least some experience in the high minors and most have a good bit of MLB experience now.

this is a good thing. more changes need to happen. then in the offseason the sox will

need to audit the team. but until then, the sox need more bodies.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Perhaps Hahn wasn't getting what he wanted a month ago....Nothing to base this on at all, but I think the reason it happened on the very last day it could have happened is because Hahn was playing hard ball and the A's finally caved.

It happened on the last day because Oakland wanted to pay as little as possible.

The purge continues!!!

I try to think positively of the Dunn era, but 2011 happened so I can't. He was paid big bucks to be the difference maker on an aging contender, and instead he put up the worst season in the history of the sport. Hard to look past that, but I did enjoy the long home runs. If that first season had instead happened in 2013 or 2014, i think his legacy would be a little different.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
It happened on the last day because Oakland wanted to pay as little as possible.

The White Sox would have been better off paying the difference a month ago and getting those at bats for Wilkins. Leave basically no difference in what the A's pay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
(The White Sox still ate his salary for August).

there are several factors here. oak needed to see they needed a bat. the sox ate some of his

sept salary. I am saying if oak offered more, the sox may have eaten the rest of the salary.

Where are the people who said Dunn absolutely had to be DFA's because the Sox could not unload him and get talent in return OR save any money?

Now that they have actually done both, I believe there are several plates of steaming hot crow ready to be eaten.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Where are the people who said Dunn absolutely had to be DFA's because the Sox could not unload him and get talent in return OR save any money?

Now that they have actually done both, I believe there are several plates of steaming hot crow ready to be eaten.

I was getting to that point because this should have been done weeks ago and it was hard to believe it didn't.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
I think teams just waited until the last minute to pull the trigger so there would be less salary involved.

The problem with that thinking from the White Sox's side is that they paid Dunn his money anyway. The White Sox could have spent the exact same amount of money and gotten Wilkins another 3 weeks worth of at bats if they'd done this in early August. But yeah I know, sending money along isn't their style. Still doesn't make me less annoyed.

In my opinion, this played out exactly as would be expected.

NOBODY was going to take current version Adam Dunn for all or most of this season at those $$$, unless they had no other options.

That said, in this era where power is so much more difficult to find, there were always going to be 2-3 playoff contenders who would have interest for Dunn's particular skill set (and as much as I dislike that overall type of player, Dunn certainly has SOME value) for their September stretch run and possible playoff run as well.

From all accounts, Oakland, SF, and the Dodgers were bidding on Dunn at the deadline. It's likely there was another team or two involved as well. Rick Hahn is a very smart man. I'm sure he made every bidder understand that there was interest from multiple sources and that they should be prepared to make their best possible bid because high bidder gets the commodity (such as it is). I'm also sure he made it clear that he wouldn't simply give Dunn away -- the Sox were already committed to the salary and they could just sit him in September once rosters expand (translation -- going forward, deal with us as equals because we're not going to be anybody's biatches).

When the dust settled, Sanburn plus $1M or so of salary relief must have been considered best deal on the table. And Dunn to the A's it is. And a little more for the war chest next year.

A live arm plus ANY money was a win.

Best of luck, Adam. I'm not at all a fan of one dimensional slugger types, but that isn't his fault -- he is what he is and the Sox paid for that (albeit that they get the one dimensional slugger in decline, rather than one of the surest bets in baseball history up to that point). By all accounts he's a super good guy. The world could use more of those.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
I hope it's the A's. They come to Chicago for four next week. Awkward....

He better not get "hot" and bash a ton of home runs vs. the Sox. That would be icing on the cake. Murphy's Law says he'll get on the best tear of his career for that series. So glad he's finally gone. Just another player who hits into the shift way too often, when he hits the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
The White Sox would have been better off paying the difference a month ago and getting those at bats for Wilkins. Leave basically no difference in what the A's pay.

We're all happy with the job you are doing as GM. What was the offer a month ago?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
Former 2012 2nd round pick. Some nice stats in relief this year. Way more than I thought they would get for Dunn.

Good friend of mine is an A's fan...said a lot of A's folks were pretty high on Sanburn.