Dunn traded to Athletics for Nolan Sanburn

Kyyle23

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
I had no idea Dunn has never played in a playoff game. Wow. Glad he finally gets to play in the playoffs. I hope he has a good playoff series and wins it all with the Athletics.

Might be one game in which he loses and goes 0-4.

Losing the Play-In Game shouldn't be considered "making the playoffs", but I guess that's a different topic.

In Sanburn, the Sox will acquire a right-hander that ranked 12th on MLB.com’s midseason list of top 20 Athletics prospects. The 23-year-old was Oakland’s second-round pick back in 2012 and has pitched to a 3.28 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 3.2 BB/9 in 71 1/3 relief innings at Class-A Advanced this season. He’s finished 23 games and picked up six saves in his time at Stockton.

Sanburn has been plagued by some shoulder issues, but he also has less mileage on his arm than many pitching prospects due to the fact that he was an outfielder in college and for part of his time in college at Arkansas. Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com note in their free scouting report that Sanburn touched 99 mph in college and offers a curveball with good depth as well. The MLB.com duo notes that Sanburn has a promising slider and changeup as well, but concerns over his durability have led to a bullpen role this season in Oakland.

Per mlbrumors

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
I hope this doesn't hurt our chances of signing him to a new contract in the off-season. I know Dunn would have given us a "home town" discount previously, but one has to wonder how this trade impacts the viability of that happening.

If he would have done it before, he would still do it now. Dunn should not be a primary target.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
2013 Opening Day lineup

Alejandro de Aza

Jeff Keppinger

Alex Rios

Adam Dunn

Paul Konerko

Dayan Viciedo

Alexei Ramirez

Tyler Flowers

Gordon Beckham

Dayan didn't start, but point taken

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
I wasn't making a lineup, lol. I think it's just important to note the massive turnover the team is going through. Obviously Paulie is gone and I hope Viciedo is traded by the start of next season. That would leave us with just Alexei and Flowers from 2013-2015 and neither of them are locks for next year's roster.

EDIT: I misunderstood your post, but he did start. http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...201304010.shtml

Actually I misread yours. For some reason I was thinking 2014, mostly because I'm an idiot

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Call up Sanburn, open auditions for roles in the 2015 bullpen before we acquire one outright in the offseason.

I'm half joking.

Study him, talk to him, see if they can make him a starter again, with that stuff he has.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Study him, talk to him, see if they can make him a starter again, with that stuff he has.

The video posted on the previous page puts his FB at 90-93 and touching 94 out of the pen. Presumably in a rotation, the velocity would go down on the fastball and the shoulder issues may become more of a risk, but the offspeed pitches have a better chance of developing. Making him a starter, even if he stays healthy, would seem to make him a #5 candidate. I like Rienzo's profile better, and Rienzo is still a #5 type. We need a #3 SP so you keep this guy in the pen IMO, and you do the same for Rienzo for that matter going forward, you see if he can make it as a MR because that's really a problem area for us both now and going forward, and it's very difficult to patch through FA.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
Call up Sanburn, open auditions for roles in the 2015 bullpen before we acquire one outright in the offseason.

I'm half joking.

Bassitt, Rienzo, Carroll, Cleto, Guerra, Surkamp, Snodgress, etc., etc. this team is going to be loaded with guys trying to take a 2015 bullpen slot as it is. All the guys mentioned also have at least some experience in the high minors and most have a good bit of MLB experience now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Shoulda happened a month ago.

Perhaps Hahn wasn't getting what he wanted a month ago....Nothing to base this on at all, but I think the reason it happened on the very last day it could have happened is because Hahn was playing hard ball and the A's finally caved.