9/1 Games

flavum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
Understatement. He flirted with that crazy b**** Mendoza all year.

Can't imagine he'll get a callup - he really shouldn't be a part of any future plans unless/until he completely destroys AAA pitching in a third go-around. Likely a AAAA player when all is said and done, sadly.

Trey Michawzxkqiuywxz has a bright future.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 12:50 AM)
The Sox need to develop the classic run producing, third baseman, its been such a black hole for them since Crede left. If I were Rick Hahn I would try trading for a prospect, Corey Seager and Ryan Mchanon come to mind.

If you want Seager, you better be ready to trade Alexei Ramirez plus Hawkins/Danish/Montas.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:58 AM)
If you want Seager, you better be ready to trade Alexei Ramirez plus Hawkins/Danish/Montas.

Id give them Quintana (Who I'm not too high on) for Seager and Urias.

I would give the Rockies Quintana and Chris Beck for Ryan McMahon and David Dahl. The Rox would pay through the nose pitching.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:50 AM)
The Sox need to develop the classic run producing, third baseman, its been such a black hole for them since Crede left. If I were Rick Hahn I would try trading for a prospect, Corey Seager and Ryan Mchanon come to mind.

Other than 2006, Crede was never a special third baseman. If Gillaspie continues to improve (which being a former supplemental first-round pick and seeing his improvement this year is very possible), I see no reason why he can't match Crede's production for almost every year except the magical 2006 season.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Gillaspie has the 9th best OPS among major league 3B. Maybe the Sox should look at LF, DH, and C first??? Because I think that trading the farm to get one of the top 8 3B and leaving three other black holes in the lineup probably isn't going to produce good results.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 06:48 AM)
Gillaspie has the 9th best OPS among major league 3B. Maybe the Sox should look at LF, DH, and C first??? Because I think that trading the farm to get one of the top 8 3B and leaving three other black holes in the lineup probably isn't going to produce good results.

The problem is that sinks to average when you take his defense into account.

When you throw that into the mix, he's something like 17th out of 28 with over 350 PA's.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../true/minpa/350

Which of those guys would you take Gillaspie over going into 2015? Plouffe? Matt Carpenter? Headley? Aramis Ramirez? Brock Holt?

That said, it's fine if you combine him with Marcus Semien...together, they should give you enough.

Flowers would be around 15th out of 24.

DeAza 19th out of 25th, ahead of Parra, Choo, Kemp, Ludwick, Allen Craig and Domonic Brown.

Viciedo's the single biggest issue, 18th of 19 RFers, only ahead of Schierholz, who was released and behind the once very good Jay Bruce.

On the plus side, Eaton's 4th out of 27, Ramirez is 5th out of 27 SS's, and Abreu's 1st out of 25 1B.

Dunn's ahead of Carlos Beltran, Billy Butler and Kendrys Morales.

Still, Garcia's giving you NEGATIVE war numbers, and if you're relying him to be that middle of the order hitter without adding at least one more big bat, you're in a world of trouble.

Pretty much anyone's going to be equal or better than Beckham, whichever of the 3 guys (Sanchez, Micah Johnson, Semien) wins the job.

That just leaves you with LF and DH, assuming Gillaspie/Semien/Davidson and Flowers aren't going to be replaced.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:50 AM)

They already did this last year with Matt Davidson. They're going to stick with Matt Davidson in AAA as the contingency plan. Semien and Gillaspie are good options at 3B right now, and there are a few other intriguing guys in the lower levels. I doubt the Sox will look to acquire a 3B prospect.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 03:33 AM)
Id give them Quintana (Who I'm not too high on) for Seager and Urias.

I would give the Rockies Quintana and Chris Beck for Ryan McMahon and David Dahl. The Rox would pay through the nose pitching.

I don't understand how you aren't high on Jose Quintana. The guy does nothing but keep improving and he's signed to an obscenely good deal. Corey Seager had an incredible year but it was also influenced by a .400+ BABIP. I also don't know that Jose Urias would be available from the Dodgers. Ryan Mcmahon just finshed his first full season at low A, which means he's actually lower than Trey Michalczewski at this point and his season really wasn't any better or worse than Trey's. David Dahl is frankly a very unencouraging outfielder with low walk rates. And, on top of that, you'd like to include Beck too. That would be highway robbery by the Rockies.

Bottom line, I don't think trading Quintana is a good idea and I don't think they're looking to acquire a 3B this offseason either. I think these posts are way off-base.

The White Sox are not in a bad place 3B-wise right now. Gillaspie has turned into an above average 3B offensively, and his defense is approaching respectable. Davidson has another year to figure it out in Charlotte. Semien can play 3B and is a nice foil for Gillaspie. Michalczewski is a couple years away, but making his way up. As positions go, depth-wise, 3B is not the worst spot in the system right now.

That would be Catcher.

Someone mentioned Basto earlier... his bat suddenly got decent this year, which I was not expecting. His glove is awful at 3B and SS, so I'm sure they want to see if he can play elsewhere.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)

But do you have any faith in Gillaspie's ability to repeat this production over the long term though? We know he doesn't walk a lot or hit for power so in order to be a valuable hitter he needs to maintain a high batting average. This year his BABIP is 40 points above his career average (.340 vs .300). In all liklihood he will go back to being the .260/.320/.400 type hitter next year that he was expected to be. Given his below average defensive ability this will make him a replacement level player, leaving 3B as another "black hole" to fill. I hope Hahn flips Gillaspie this offseason as I don't think his trade value will ever be higher, especially if he finishes the year strong and ends up with a .300+ AVG.

But do you have any faith in Gillaspie's ability to repeat this production over the long term though? We know he doesn't walk a lot or hit for power so in order to be a valuable hitter he needs to maintain a high batting average. This year his BABIP is 40 points above his career average (.340 vs .300). In all liklihood he will go back to being the .260/.320/.400 type hitter next year that he was expected to be. Given his below average defensive ability this will make him a replacement level player, leaving 3B as another "black hole" to fill. I hope Hahn flips Gillaspie this offseason as I don't think his trade value will ever be higher, especially if he finishes the year strong and ends up with a .300+ AVG.

Given the large number of holes elsewhere, the Sox don't really have any other option than to give Gillaspie the chance to keep up that pace. There simply aren't enough resources to fill all the other holes AND upgrade at 3B via free agency and trades. Even if he regresses to a 720 OPS, which is the worst case scenario, that is MLB average for 3B. If the Sox redirect resources to upgrade at 3B, they will be well below average at LF, DH, and C (not to mention bullpen).

So it really doesn't make sense. None at all.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
Given the large number of holes elsewhere, the Sox don't really have any other option than to give Gillaspie the chance to keep up that pace. There simply aren't enough resources to fill all the other holes AND upgrade at 3B via free agency and trades. Even if he regresses to a 720 OPS, which is the worst case scenario, that is MLB average for 3B. If the Sox redirect resources to upgrade at 3B, they will be well below average at LF, DH, and C (not to mention bullpen).

So it really doesn't make sense. None at all.

I'm not looking to redirect resources to 3b but if the Sox really want Micah to be the starting 2b next year then I'm looking to sell high on Conor to upgrade elsewhere and let Semien be the everyday 3b.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)
I'm not looking to redirect resources to 3b but if the Sox really want Micah to be the starting 2b next year then I'm looking to sell high on Conor to upgrade elsewhere and let Semien be the everyday 3b.

Except that's more likely to give you TWO holes to fill.

Gillaspie's going to give you what? Are you expecting an 825-850 ops hitting LF or DH for him? Good luck.

Conor has at least proven he can hit at this level...even without the expected 12-15 homer power. What are the odds that Marcus Semien comes out essentially as a rookie again and gives you a 750ish OPS at 3B? Maybe 50/50 at best, although I would bet the under.

I'd say you're very likely to get worse production out of Semien and not a certain upgrade from a young prospect for LF or DH or C.

If you want to trade Conor for bullpen pieces, there's definitely a better use of our resources. And he's certainly not going to get you a quality starting pitcher in return, for the same reasons you cite...that other GM's are waiting to see if he can repeat his success and nobody wants to be caught overpaying for a guy coming off a career peak in his trajectory to ride the downside and give up quality cost-controlled talent in return.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:33 AM)

Except that's more likely to give you TWO holes to fill.

Gillaspie's going to give you what? Are you expecting an 825-850 ops hitting LF or DH for him? Good luck.

Conor has at least proven he can hit at this level...even without the expected 12-15 homer power. What are the odds that Marcus Semien comes out essentially as a rookie again and gives you a 750ish OPS at 3B? Maybe 50/50 at best, although I would bet the under.

I'd say you're very likely to get worse production out of Semien and not a certain upgrade from a young prospect for LF or DH or C.

If you want to trade Conor for bullpen pieces, there's definitely a better use of our resources. And he's certainly not going to get you a quality starting pitcher in return, for the same reasons you cite...that other GM's are waiting to see if he can repeat his success and nobody wants to be caught overpaying for a guy coming off a career peak in his trajectory to ride the downside and give up quality cost-controlled talent in return.

Here's the thing, I'm not sold on Micah being the 2b next year but the Sox seem to be. If they're dead set on doing that then I think one of the ways to go about upgrading lf or catcher or sp or whatever is by selling high on Conor because we have Semien who can fill in. He wont be as good right away as Gillaspie was this year but he's also not going to create a hole at 3b.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

Except that the biggest difference has been an improvement against RHP, which isn't unexpected out of a young hitter.

2014 vs RHP: .322/.381/.472/.853, .363 BABIP

2014 vs LHP: .216/.245/.320/.565, .263 BABIP

Career vs RHP: .286/.348/.436/.784, .316 BABIP

Career vs LHP: .190/.222/.286/.507, .231 BABIP

BABIP is also much less static for hitters, as good hitters will get base hits more often. Given a 24.2% LD%, a .360 BABIP isn't unreasonable, even if it is a bit high.

Bottom line, I feel fine with Gillaspie at 3B, especially against RHP. He's always hit righties well, and whether he figures out lefties is not something that will be required (though it would be preferred).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Here's the thing, I'm not sold on Micah being the 2b next year but the Sox seem to be. If they're dead set on doing that then I think one of the ways to go about upgrading lf or catcher or sp or whatever is by selling high on Conor because we have Semien who can fill in. He wont be as good right away as Gillaspie was this year but he's also not going to create a hole at 3b.

Where is this idea that Micah will be the starting 2b in April of next year coming from? They just shut him down for health reasons rather than calling him up in September. I can't see him starting in the bigs next April barring several injuries to other people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
Where is this idea that Micah will be the starting 2b in April of next year coming from? They just shut him down for health reasons rather than calling him up in September. I can't see him starting in the bigs next April barring several injuries to other people.

I agree. To me, Semien and Sanchez have that ahead of Micah. The media is blowing him way out of proportion. He's a nice player, but show he can stay healthy and then make decisions from then on.