Three YEPS and three NOPES

Eminor3rd

Que?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite hat?

• Lyle Mouton

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
I've been down on Semien a bit offensively, but if the Sox can get a haul for Lexi then I think he'd be the everyday SS. I wouldn't hate to see what Semien could do with everyday ABs to try and prove my "fears" wrong about him at the dish.

Leury would not be the starting SS.

100% favor Semien over Sanchez at SS, but then there's the issue of taking LH bats away from Conor at 3B.

I guess they could give those AB's to Sanchez as the superutility guy, and start Semien at SS....but I don't think starting both Semien and Sanchez is the right answer for 2015 or 2016.

Trading Alexei next June/July would make a bit more sense....you could move Semien to that position full-time, Micah Johnson would be the new starting 2B and Sanchez the back-up option at all three positions, compared to Leury this year.

The problem is that Semien's got to put up a 675-700, maybe 725 OPS to have real value at short because he's likely to be below-average at that position defensively...especially in his first season or so playing SS exclusively. I think the jury's far from out whether he can hit major league stuff consistently enough to put up those numbers. MAYBE.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Both ends of the spectrum between yours and Caulfields responses. I'm more in line with Caulfield . The Yanks wouldn't trade Betances for Alexei and Gary Sanchez isn't at all what he's cracked up to be . He's had discipline problems at AA and didnt hit all that well.

If you want instant contender , VMart, Robertson,and BMac gives you a very strong 2015 . Try getting the Yanks to take Danks too while your at it .Even eat some salary if you think you can sign the FA's I mentioned . Heck I might trade Alexei and Danks both for Betances if I knew I could sign VMart, Robertson and BMac with Rodon and Bassitt on the horizon with the outside chance Erik Johson could bounce back. Pen fixed, rotation fixed , lineup much stronger.

If you think Robertson and BMac add up to $24M /yr and lets say 2/3 yrs of VMart at $20M /yr that's $44M added to the annual payroll - Danks salary of $14 M is only $30 added to the annual payroll for a 3 yr period maybe for each player. By the time those contracts end Rodon or Bassitt or Montas or Danish or some combination of them move into the rotation so not only do you have instant contender but a window to work the young pitchers into the rotation while still competing.

That's where this whole idea falls apart.

The Yankees have legit concerns about even being able to afford Hanley Ramirez, they're looking at $170 million in commitments and that's not even keeping Robertson.

Would you bring in another bad contract on the pitching side when you already have Sabathia, the inherent/ongoing risks with Tanaka, A-Rod, etc.? I know I wouldn't. Plus, they have Greene and Pineda, there's zero reason they HAVE to take on another bad contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hanley-ramire...-173002313.html

If they weren't asking for Betances, they might be able to dangle Ramirez and attach Danks to that deal (like Teahen/EJax with much bigger financial stakes)...but there's no way they make any type of move and get the likes of Hughes and Betances back without eating at least 50-75% of Danks' deal. And then you're having to replace Alexei Ramirez, which obviously won't be easy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 02:23 PM)
Both ends of the spectrum between yours and Caulfields responses. I'm more in line with Caulfield . The Yanks wouldn't trade Betances for Alexei and Gary Sanchez isn't at all what he's cracked up to be . He's had discipline problems at AA and didnt hit all that well.

If you want instant contender , VMart, Robertson,and BMac gives you a very strong 2015 . Try getting the Yanks to take Danks too while your at it .Even eat some salary if you think you can sign the FA's I mentioned . Heck I might trade Alexei and Danks both for Betances if I knew I could sign VMart, Robertson and BMac with Rodon and Bassitt on the horizon with the outside chance Erik Johson could bounce back. Pen fixed, rotation fixed , lineup much stronger.

If you think Robertson and BMac add up to $24M /yr and lets say 2/3 yrs of VMart at $20M /yr that's $44M added to the annual payroll minus Danks salary of $14 M is only $30M added to the annual payroll for a 3 yr period maybe for each player. By the time those contracts end Rodon or Bassitt or Montas or Danish or some combination of them move into the rotation so not only do you have instant contender but a window to work the young pitchers into the rotation while still competing.

Much of the trade market possibilities evaporated for John Danks with the second half he had. Unless we are getting a bad contract back, or sending a ton of money with,he isn't getting traded.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
I NEVER thought I'd say this even a few months ago but I think I'd stick with Flowers at catcher and use resources elsewhere.

Yeah. I just have realized catchers suck and ours sucks just a little less then a lot of them, especially when you factor in the positives on the defensive side of the ball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
That's where this whole idea falls apart.

The Yankees have legit concerns about even being able to afford Hanley Ramirez, they're looking at $170 million in commitments and that's not even keeping Robertson.

Would you bring in another bad contract on the pitching side when you already have Sabathia, the inherent/ongoing risks with Tanaka, A-Rod, etc.? I know I wouldn't. Plus, they have Greene and Pineda, there's zero reason they HAVE to take on another bad contract.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hanley-ramire...-173002313.html

If they weren't asking for Betances, they might be able to dangle Ramirez and attach Danks to that deal (like Teahen/EJax with much bigger financial stakes)...but there's no way they make any type of move and get the likes of Hughes and Betances back without eating at least 50-75% of Danks' deal. And then you're having to replace Alexei Ramirez, which obviously won't be easy.

I did say eat some of his contract . Heck eat half of it so Yanks add Alexei $10M and Danks $7M = 17M minus the 12 M they paid Jeter this yr and they're really paying $5M for 2015 for a very good durable SS and a LH starting pitcher and giving up just a relief pitcher albeit a very good one. Of course Alexei and Danks both have another yr after that on their contracts but at least it takes out the sting for the 1st yr.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Flowers has pretty much held his own vs last seasons top FA catchers in McCann and Salty. IMO, I would not mind an upgrade because I think he is just too inconsistent. While the overall numbers wind up OK, and he has had some big hits, it seems to be he is just totally worthless for stretches which are too long. Everyone slumps, but Tyler seems to take his to anither level.

And I still don't understand going after Martin if you don't think you can win next year. If you think the Sox are at least 2016 or probably 2017 away from contending, paying him all that money to hopefully still be effective at that point is questionable at best. Martin in the AL with the Yankees wasn't much better overall than the current edition of Tyler Flowers. Even fangraphs agrees.

Paying a 32 year old catcher based on his 2014 career type season, basically for his services in 2017-2018, probably would wind up like the Wiley Coyote.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
I NEVER thought I'd say this even a few months ago but I think I'd stick with Flowers at catcher and use resources elsewhere.

I'm with you there. I recommended Flowers be non tendered last off season but I also advocated not trading for a catcher at the trade deadline because they all suck.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
The wait for Tim Anderson crowd is hopeful because otherwise we are severely downgrading our SS position for no reason except that something different is always better than what you have.

I don't think anyone thinks "something different is always better than what you have." We have a glut of middle infield options. Ramirez will prob never have more trade value than he does this offseason and he would bring in some serious prospects/players.

I'm not necessarily for trading Ramirez, but there is rationale.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
Flowers has pretty much held his own vs last seasons top FA catchers in McCann and Salty. IMO, I would not mind an upgrade because I think he is just too inconsistent. While the overall numbers wind up OK, and he has had some big hits, it seems to be he is just totally worthless for stretches which are too long. Everyone slumps, but Tyler seems to take his to anither level.

And I still don't understand going after Martin if you don't think you can win next year. If you think the Sox are at least 2016 or probably 2017 away from contending, paying him all that money to hopefully still be effective at that point is questionable at best. Martin in the AL with the Yankees wasn't much better overall than the current edition of Tyler Flowers. Even fangraphs agrees.

Paying a 32 year old catcher based on his 2014 career type season, basically for his services in 2017-2018, probably would wind up like the Wiley Coyote.

If the Sox aren't going to contend until 2017 might as well trade Sale and Q. I mean what's the point if it takes that long to go .500? Baseball is a weird sport with the ridiculous economic system and ways of "rebuilding" compared to the parity stricken NFL. I mean we gonna waste 3 more seasons of Sale? Crazy.

At least Flowers is OK on defense and gets hot once in a while. I agree to keep him. It's not like there are many catchers who can hit. Some want Martin yet he's as old as Lexi and Lexi must go cause he's too old and will decline.

Crazy crazy crazy talk.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
I don't think anyone thinks "something different is always better than what you have." We have a glut of middle infield options. Ramirez will prob never have more trade value than he does this offseason and he would bring in some serious prospects/players.

I'm not necessarily for trading Ramirez, but there is rationale.

They are a glut, but this isn't a bunch of top 100 prospects we are talking about.

Here's all it would take to win NOW. You tell me what our payroll would be.

Add Markaikas. Add a starting pitcher (somebody like Santana; i said "like" Santana doesn't have to be him. Add two veteran bullpen guys and pray they improve. And if possible get a platoon partner for Gillaspie. Do these things and we WIN and don't waste Abreu and Sale any more.

Do any of you actually disagree with what I said is true? Would it put Jerry in the poorhouse to make these moves? Are all of these moves possible? I think my post speaks for itself and is accurate.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Here's all it would take to win NOW. You tell me what our payroll would be.

Add Markaikas. Add a starting pitcher (somebody like Santana; i said "like" Santana doesn't have to be him. Add two veteran bullpen guys and pray they improve. And if possible get a platoon partner for Gillaspie. Do these things and we WIN and don't waste Abreu and Sale any more.

Do any of you actually disagree with what I said is true? Would it put Jerry in the poorhouse to make these moves? Are all of these moves possible? I think my post speaks for itself and is accurate.

You've just spent another $40 million, roughly. $35 on the bottom, possibly $50 million in the upper range.

At any rate, internally we already have Semien to pair with Conor, so no need to spend there.

The problem is that team's still going to come up short at 2B, catcher (Flowers' deficiencies are well known, in terms of K's and inconsistent offensive numbers)....and the biggest issue is that there's no sure-fire solution for DH.

Keeping Viciedo and moving him to DH?

And would Dayan even put up a 750-800 OPS against only LH pitching? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know how he would adjust to sporadic playing time, and then who would your DH be against RHP?

Adam Dunn? Paul Konerko (joking)?

At any rate, you're average or below league average then at C, 2B (Sanchez/Semien/Johnson) and DH....and not really being sure what we're going to get out of Avisail Garcia as a full-time player, if Conor can repeat, if Alexei can sustain his offensive success...if Abreu can continue to hit with so much power without Dunn behind him, etc. I don't even think giving Markakis 2-3 years would lead to even league average offensive production as he inevitably declines.

In your scenario, they're one bat short, and probably still one starting pitcher short.

Sale

Quintana

Mystery veteran 3 guy

Danks

Noesi

If Rodon's ready to be the man in 2014 at some point, MAYBE...but we certainly can't count on that transpiring. And Danks would have to pitch much better than he has. And Noesi would have to repeat what he's been able to accomplish in 2014 (see Phil Humber).

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
They are a glut, but this isn't a bunch of top 100 prospects we are talking about.

Well, technically, Semien was BA's #91 this year. Sanchez was Fangraphs #64 in 2012 and probably put himself back in the conversation with his very good season as the International League's 6th youngest player (Semien 9th youngest, Micah 10th).

The importance of these lists, however, can be demonstrated by the fact that Eric Johnson and Matt Davidson were both higher than Semien on BA's list this year.

We can all agree trading Alexei is a downgrade at SS. He's really good, which is why he'd bring back a lot in a trade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
You've just spent another $40 million, roughly. $35 on the bottom, possibly $50 million in the upper range.

At any rate, internally we already have Semien to pair with Conor, so no need to spend there.

The problem is that team's still going to come up short at 2B, catcher (Flowers' deficiencies are well known, in terms of K's and inconsistent offensive numbers)....and the biggest issue is that there's no sure-fire solution for DH.

Keeping Viciedo and moving him to DH?

And would Dayan even put up a 750-800 OPS against only LH pitching? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know how he would adjust to sporadic playing time, and then who would your DH be against RHP?

Adam Dunn? Paul Konerko (joking)?

At any rate, you're average or below league average then at C, 2B (Sanchez/Semien/Johnson) and DH....and not really being sure what we're going to get out of Avisail Garcia as a full-time player, if Conor can repeat, if Alexei can sustain his offensive success...if Abreu can continue to hit with so much power without Dunn behind him, etc. I don't even think giving Markakis 2-3 years would lead to even league average offensive production as he inevitably declines.

In your scenario, they're one bat short, and probably still one starting pitcher short.

Sale

Quintana

Mystery veteran 3 guy

Danks

Noesi

If Rodon's ready to be the man in 2014 at some point, MAYBE...but we certainly can't count on that transpiring. And Danks would have to pitch much better than he has. And Noesi would have to repeat what he's been able to accomplish in 2014 (see Phil Humber).

So I spent 35 to 40 million which is about right.

Caufield, I like my rotation that you outlined there. I also was willing to DH Viciedo. I disagree with you about catcher. I think it's OK with Flowers. And you are right we can platoon Semien with Gillaspie, though Semien would have to work his ass off on defense in spring training to play third sufficiently. Same with Gillaspie.

What's wrong with my rotation? The two bullpen guys might be the answer. If not Markakis, then maybe Span or ugh, Aoki. I think if Hahn did what I suggest ... we win.

Ok after discussing it all thread I think I'm ready to be flamed.

Three Yeps.

1. and ultimately most important one that must be accomplished early in the off season. Sign Victor Martinez

This will send a message to the rest of the free agents and our own fans that we are ready to contend now. Yes he's old but having a monster year and often described as one the most intelligent hitters in baseball. I'd start the bidding at 3yrs $45M and be willing to go 3/$60M . Do you want to see Abreu pitched around even more than he has been since it became apparent he was a stud ? Abreu becomes less valuable without a deterrent to always walking him. Martinez instantly solves this. Rather than try to figure out who the best LH hitting outfielders are like the perpetual enigmas Colby Rasmus or Melky Cabrera you put your money on a sure thing and VMart is the closest bet to a sure thing as a hitter as you're going to find. You just don't fall off a cliff after the career and year he's had barring injury. He is also Venezuelan as is Avi Garcia who could benefit immensely from having VMart around. It also just might increase season ticket sales .

2. Sign more free agents particularly David Robertson and Brandon McCarthy We all know the bullpen needs a closer and since we signed VMart we will need a closer . These guys won't come cheap since they both have had good years . Maybe VMart plus these 2 adds $45M per yr to the annual payroll and if each can be signed for 3 yrs. it doesn't strangle the payroll for too long. It should really help towards fixing the bullpen and adding another starter which we'll need to do both in order to contend in 2015. If by some miracle the Sox manage to sign all 3 we can then either keep or trade Alexei for either minor leaguers or wherever the ML team might need help perhaps another BP arm . I lean towards trading him because he's valuable and now that we signed 3 free agents all in their 30's we need more youth.

Now that we have signed all 3 we have a window of contention to work the young starting pitching into the rotation . Rodon, Bassitt, Montas, Danish even Erik Johnson if he can somehow find his way back to where he was.

3.Make the team more baseball savvy This of course started with the signing of VMart who understands hitting. Their are certain guys out there known for being ballplayers , high baseball IQ's good fielders , sound fundamentally , good base runners. One of these guys is LH OF Michael Saunders who at 28 for next yr. might be ready to have his best seasons if he can stay healthy . Maybe Alexi to the Mariners for Saunders and a prospect . Saunders is rare in that early in his career he wasn't an OBP guy but has somehow become one though he hasn't yet broken through with a high batting average. He has decent pop which would play better here than in Seattle.

3 Nopes

1.Don't keep Dayan Viciedo . He and Alexei, Bellasario, Lindstrom can all be traded for other meat puppets.

2. Don't waste time or resources trying to find a catcher , not even a prospect. I thought that's why we kept Nieto on the roster all year. Is he not a prospect ? Flowers will do just fine. If Nieto is destined to be a minor leaguer now that he's spent the whole year with us add a veteran catcher who comes cheap ,a LH since Flowers is RH who has good defensive skills. Catchers are woefully bad hitters nowadays so whats the sense of trying to find a needle in a haystack ?

3. Never stop trying to find a taker for John Danks . Package him with Alexei, eat half or more of his salary if need be. Maybe the Yanks take him if they show us they want Alexei bad enough. I actually wouldn't mind keeping him but we just signed a bunch of free agents so now he really has to go. :) He's working very hard to try to get become better and he just might.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Ok after discussing it all thread I think I'm ready to be flamed.

Three Yeps.

1. and ultimately most important one that must be accomplished early in the off season. Sign Victor Martinez

This will send a message to the rest of the free agents and our own fans that we are ready to contend now. Yes he's old but having a monster year and often described as one the most intelligent hitters in baseball. I'd start the bidding at 3yrs $45M and be willing to go 3/$60M . Do you want to see Abreu pitched around even more than he has been since it became apparent he was a stud ? Abreu becomes less valuable without a deterrent to always walking him. Martinez instantly solves this. Rather than try to figure out who the best LH hitting outfielders are like the perpetual enigmas Colby Rasmus or Melky Cabrera you put your money on a sure thing and VMart is the closest bet to a sure thing as a hitter as you're going to find. You just don't fall off a cliff after the career and year he's had barring injury. He is also Venezuelan as is Avi Garcia who could benefit immensely from having VMart around. It also just might increase season ticket sales .

2. Sign more free agents particularly David Robertson and Brandon McCarthy We all know the bullpen needs a closer and since we signed VMart we will need a closer . These guys won't come cheap since they both have had good years . Maybe VMart plus these 2 adds $45M per yr to the annual payroll and if each can be signed for 3 yrs. it doesn't strangle the payroll for too long. It should really help towards fixing the bullpen and adding another starter which we'll need to do both in order to contend in 2015. If by some miracle the Sox manage to sign all 3 we can then either keep or trade Alexei for either minor leaguers or wherever the ML team might need help perhaps another BP arm . I lean towards trading him because he's valuable and now that we signed 3 free agents all in their 30's we need more youth.

Now that we have signed all 3 we have a window of contention to work the young starting pitching into the rotation . Rodon, Bassitt, Montas, Danish even Erik Johnson if he can somehow find his way back to where he was.

3.Make the team more baseball savvy This of course started with the signing of VMart who understands hitting. Their are certain guys out there known for being ballplayers , high baseball IQ's good fielders , sound fundamentally , good base runners. One of these guys is LH OF Michael Saunders who at 28 for next yr. might be ready to have his best seasons if he can stay healthy . Maybe Alexi to the Mariners for Saunders and a prospect . Saunders is rare in that early in his career he wasn't an OBP guy but has somehow become one though he hasn't yet broken through with a high batting average. He has decent pop which would play better here than in Seattle.

3 Nopes

1.Don't keep Dayan Viciedo . He and Alexei, Bellasario, Lindstrom can all be traded for other meat puppets.

2. Don't waste time or resources trying to find a catcher , not even a prospect. I thought that's why we kept Nieto on the roster all year. Is he not a prospect ? Flowers will do just fine. If Nieto is destined to be a minor leaguer now that he's spent the whole year with us add a veteran catcher who comes cheap ,a LH since Flowers is RH who has good defensive skills. Catchers are woefully bad hitters nowadays so whats the sense of trying to find a needle in a haystack ?

3. Never stop trying to find a taker for John Danks . Package him with Alexei, eat half or more of his salary if need be. Maybe the Yanks take him if they show us they want Alexei bad enough. I actually wouldn't mind keeping him but we just signed a bunch of free agents so now he really has to go. :) He's working very hard to try to get become better and he just might.

Belisario and Lindstrom can't be traded for even a bag of baseballs because they won't be offered contracts to return.

Dayan's iffy right now, that he's tendered a one year arbitration deal.

The M's already have two young shortstops with some upside, especially Taylor, IMO. Miller's a great defender but iffy bat.

While I could see them wanting to pair Ramirez with Cano to win now, they're not going to want to part with Jackson or Saunders to accomplish that. They MIGHT be willing to trade Miller and Maurer for Alexei, though, along with one more prospect in the minors or Smoak.

Would you take Smoak OR Ackley, B. Miller and Maurer for Alexei? I wouldn't. Sure it SOUNDS good, 3 for 1, but I'm pretty sure none of those three guys would be key cogs in a future team, unless they were pretty sure they could fix Smoak hitting-wise or Maurer could become a closer.

Finally, I'd rather gamble on Josh Beckett at half the price than Brandon McCarthy. And McCarthy's going to get 2 or 3 years.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't get the trade Alexi mentality unless it is something impossible to say no to. He seems the type of player who will get old around 42. He's one of the best SS and replacing him from the farm system will probably be another one of those deficits the Sox jinx themselves for years.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
I don't get the trade Alexi mentality unless it is something impossible to say no to. He seems the type of player who will get old around 42. He's one of the best SS and replacing him from the farm system will probably be another one of those deficits the Sox jinx themselves for years.

How can you not get it ? Jeter isn't lasting til 42 . SS's in general lose a lot of range around Alexei 's age. He's coming off a good year and selling high is way better than getting nothing for him when we need to fill other holes. Have you even read the rationale offered up by others in the thread for trading him ? I thought it was pretty apparent why he should be traded . Unless the Sox can sign a bunch of free agents to fill holes ( my plan but highly unlikely ) that leaves trading as the alternative and we got nothing to trade unless you want minor league guys traded and that's just not going to happen.

He is not irreplaceable and it doesn't have to be a guy from the farm.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Belisario and Lindstrom can't be traded for even a bag of baseballs because they won't be offered contracts to return.

Dayan's iffy right now, that he's tendered a one year arbitration deal.

The M's already have two young shortstops with some upside, especially Taylor, IMO. Miller's a great defender but iffy bat.

While I could see them wanting to pair Ramirez with Cano to win now, they're not going to want to part with Jackson or Saunders to accomplish that. They MIGHT be willing to trade Miller and Maurer for Alexei, though, along with one more prospect in the minors or Smoak.

Would you take Smoak OR Ackley, B. Miller and Maurer for Alexei? I wouldn't. Sure it SOUNDS good, 3 for 1, but I'm pretty sure none of those three guys would be key cogs in a future team, unless they were pretty sure they could fix Smoak hitting-wise or Maurer could become a closer.

Finally, I'd rather gamble on Josh Beckett at half the price than Brandon McCarthy. And McCarthy's going to get 2 or 3 years.

As far as flamings go you were rather mild. I don't care what the Sox do with Viciedo or Bellasario or Lindstrom . They'll be gone that's the point.

An Alexei and Cano pairing would be great . You think an oft injured guy like Saunders is going to hold up the Mariners wanting to be that strong up the middle ? Maybe I built Saunders up too much but he's smart and does a lot of things well but his bat has never really played. That's why I think he can be had. Mariners need offense.

Preferring Beckett over BMac is your right but I'll take the guy who has accomplished good things recently than a guy mulling retirement who tore his labrum. http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_...ason-ends-early watch video if you're able.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
How can you not get it ? Jeter isn't lasting til 42 .

Jeter at 22 didn't have Alexei's range at 32, nor Vizquel's range at 42. Put me in the camp that says I don't think Alexei's defense is going to degrade much in the next few years. Agreed, now is prob the peak time if you're going to trade him. Signing him to an extension is also a reasonable thing to do.

Their is logic on both sides of the Alexei debate. it could well be that the Sox see him as a core, must-have guy. Perhaps especially if we are breaking in a new second baseman and have average-at-very-best Gillaspie or even Davidson (yikes!) in the next few years.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
Jeter at 22 didn't have Alexei's range at 32, nor Vizquel's range at 42. Put me in the camp that says I don't think Alexei's defense is going to degrade much in the next few years. Agreed, now is prob the peak time if you're going to trade him. Signing him to an extension is also a reasonable thing to do.

Their is logic on both sides of the Alexei debate. it could well be that the Sox see him as a core, must-have guy. Perhaps especially if we are breaking in a new second baseman and have average-at-very-best Gillaspie or even Davidson (yikes!) in the next few years.

That's all anyone needs to understand. Speculating on how Alexei will age is pretty pointless. The older he gets the less he is worth . It's that simple. Time is not on the majority of athlete's side after 32.

Edit; Also Jeter at 22 didn't have Omar's range at 42 ? Please ,that is outlandish. Feel free to prove it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
That's all anyone needs to understand.

No it isn't.

Speculating on how Alexei will age is pretty pointless.

No it isn't

The older he gets the less he is worth.

He's better this year, one year older, than he was last year. The more his time under-contract decreases, the less he is worth in trade, but if there is intention to extend him, that is irrelevant.

It's that simple.

No it isn't

Time is not on the majority of athlete's side after 32.

All athletes are not the majority of athletes.

Edit; Also Jeter at 22 didn't have Omar's range at 42 ? Please ,that is outlandish. Feel free to prove it.

I was being hyperbolic I thought, but lo and behold:

Fangraphs gives Jeter a -5.5 in 1996

Fangraphs gives Omar an 11.2 in 2007

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 23, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
No it isn't.

No it isn't

He's better this year, one year older, than he was last year. The more his time under-contract decreases, the less he is worth in trade, but if there is intention to extend him, that is irrelevant.

No it isn't

All athletes are not the majority of athletes.

You are odd. Wow. Maybe Hahn should be looking for all guys over 32 instead of young guys. All athletes are not the majority of athletes. Yea duh that's why I said the majority instead of all. Play the odds he's a SS not a 1st baseman. The position demands just a bit more athleticism which does not increase with age. Besides like Eminor I love the guy and if we can sign my free agents there's really no need to trade him. But like I said I'm leaning in the trade direction knowing the Sox won't sign 3 free agents.