KW "We're a lot closer than the record indicates"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
I think some people on this board are really over-valuing draft picks. 1st rounders are obviously important, but losing 2nd & 3rd round picks should never sway you from adding an impact player, at least if you think you're team is close to being competitive.

And I get you also lose their bonus allotment, but when you're trying to add outside talent and the trade-off is losing a pick/bonus or trading away partially developed prospects, I'm going to sacrifice the unknown commodity first every single time.

Well said, but I think the bold is the sticking point. Some people would argue that trying to propel a 73-win team out of mediocrity isn't worth giving up the picks. I happen to disagree and think the Sox can be competitive with the right offseason, but it's a valid viewpoint.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Which is exactly what JR mentioned about a month ago. A back end right handed starter. I think it is safe to assume one will be added.

And if JR wants it, it will happen.

Honestly, I think we have already gotten the shopping list between bits of what Jerry, Kenny, and Rick have said.

We know they want a RHSP.

We know they want a LH power hitter.

We know they have been working hard on a deal to bring in someone through a 3 way deal, which could still happen.

We know they are going to address the pen.

Any speculation about the off season should be based on those points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)

Honestly, I think we have already gotten the shopping list between bits of what Jerry, Kenny, and Rick have said.

We know they have been working hard on a deal to bring in someone through a 3 way deal, which could still happen.

/thread. Shaping up to be a pretty exciting offseason.

They are also doing their own cost/benefit and risk/reward analysis on all of these areas. They will prioritize these positions based on how and what they feel this team needs to get to a competitive level. What value does a RHSP add if they can't shed the contract of John Danks? Can they add a RHSP who is perhaps riskier but who has a higher ceiling BY trading John Danks? Is giving up a 2nd round pick and $17.5 million over a 3 year deal worth giving to Victor Martinez if they can get Andre Ethier at a cheaper cost? How much value does a relief pitcher add to the team and is it worth spending an exponential amount more on a guy like David Robertson, Luke Gregorson, or Andrew Miller compared to others?

It'd be nice if they could go out and just get ALL the players, but that's not realistic. There are names they are interested in, but this is the period of time where they begin whittling those names away and prioritizing not only what they feel they need but also by the quality of the player. Perhaps a left handed bat is their top priority, but they feel that a certain right handed pitcher adds more to the team than a certain left handed bat. It's an inexact science but the process will be solid. Frankly, I expect to the Sox "interested" in a lot of names this winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Higher draft pick, less money for the draft, less money for the international pool, etc.

I felt that way last year and this year. I'm ready for them to compete next year though with a legitimate shot at winning the division in 2016.

I'll take a stab at it: Justin Masterson, Zach Duke, Joakim Soria, Pedro Alvarez, and Dustin Ackley.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I'll take a stab at it: Justin Masterson, Zach Duke, Joakim Soria, Pedro Alvarez, and Dustin Ackley.

The only name where I think they'll aim for something a bit more proven or with a better track record is the left handed power bat. There's just a ton that can go wrong with Pedro Alvarez and only a little that can go right. They may have interest, but I'm guessing he'd be about 5th or 6th on the list and it's just as likely, if not likelier, that someone else would scoop him up before the Sox would.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
The only name where I think they'll aim for something a bit more proven or with a better track record is the left handed power bat. There's just a ton that can go wrong with Pedro Alvarez and only a little that can go right. They may have interest, but I'm guessing he'd be about 5th or 6th on the list and it's just as likely, if not likelier, that someone else would scoop him up before the Sox would.

Very understandable. Hes youngish and definitely available though so I put him. What are everyone's thoughts on a staff like this.......

1. Chris Sale

2. Jose Quintana

3. RHP #3 type (Masterson, McCarthy, Volquez, etc)

4. Hector Noesi

5. Chris Bassitt

6. Carlos Rodon (Most likely by June)

Bullpen

RHP Soria

RHP Putnam

RHP Guerra

RHP Petricka

LHP Duke

LHP Snodgress

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Very understandable. Hes youngish and definitely available though so I put him. What are everyone's thoughts on a staff like this.......

1. Chris Sale

2. Jose Quintana

4. Hector Noesi

5. Chris Bassitt

Bullpen

RHP Soria

RHP Putnam

RHP Guerra

RHP Petricka

LHP Duke

LHP Snodgress

Is John Danks just disappearing?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)

1. Chris Sale

2. Jose Quintana

4. Hector Noesi

5. Chris Bassitt

Bullpen

RHP Soria

RHP Putnam

RHP Guerra

RHP Petricka

LHP Duke

LHP Snodgress

I like Surkamp a lot more than I like Snodgress, and I think Webb might make the team too, but it looks like a reasonable foundation.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Is John Danks just disappearing?

You would hope you can do something in a trade where you don't have to eat his entire contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I like Surkamp a lot more than I like Snodgress, and I think Webb might make the team too, but it looks like a reasonable foundation.

You would hope you can do something in a trade where you don't have to eat his entire contract.

I meant to include Daniel Webb. I just don't see Danks in next year's rotation. I know it's tough to just assume that he will get dealt but I think he'll get dealt.

Once again, Levine regurgitating what's already known and been written about. Good grief that idiot needs to go away!

Any chance we can combine Levine with Danks in a trade?

Reading Levine's crap just makes me miss Mariotti, and I can't stand Mariotti!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
Once again, Levine regurgitating what's already known and been written about. Good grief that idiot needs to go away!

Any chance we can combine Levine with Danks in a trade?

Reading Levine's crap just makes me miss Mariotti, and I can't stand Mariotti!

Mariotti and Levine dont have comparable jobs at all. Levine is a beat reporter, Mariotti is a columnist/opinion spewer. they dont do anything similar at all, except write for a newspaper. Well, they used to both write for a newspaper.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Mariotti and Levine dont have comparable jobs at all. Levine is a beat reporter, Mariotti is a columnist/opinion spewer. they dont do anything similar at all, except write for a newspaper. Well, they used to both write for a newspaper.

You completely missed the point...

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
KW says the same thing every year about not being that far away.

Please show me where he said this prior to 2014. More likely was Williams saying "I think this team can compete." For a while, they were close enough that you could say they were one good 15 game run away from being in it. It never happened and the true talent played out.

Do you really think this team is as far away as your typical 73-89 team? I sure don't. I think this team is a really good offseason away from being an 85-90 win team. I think more reasonably we should expect somewhere around .500, but this team being in it until the end won't surprise me in the least.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
No, I got it. I just think you should be wishing for Gonzalez to come back

How the hell did Gonzalez name get brought up?

Writers are just like politicians. They spew nonsense in their own words to get the followers to, well, follow along. They all regurgitate the same crap, just in their own words and opinions. IMO, having a favorite sports writer is like having a favorite politician, pointless.

Anyhoo. Anyone have scouting on Tomas? I'm not a member of baseball america. All I know is he is 23, RH, has power and not as good as Abreu.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)

Writers are just like politicians. They spew nonsense in their own words to get the followers to, well, follow along. They all regurgitate the same crap, just in their own words and opinions. IMO, having a favorite sports writer is like having a favorite politician, pointless.

Anyhoo. Anyone have scouting on Tomas? I'm not a member of baseball america. All I know is he is 23, RH, has power and not as good as Abreu.

He didnt, I brought it up, he is a beat writer who was actually good at his job, and didnt throw a bunch of s*** at the wall to see what stuck.

Kind of the anti levine

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-yasmany-tomas/