Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

I'd definitely do Grandal for Viciedo + Webb

Adds a switch hitter to the lineup and if Micah wins 2B we have lineup balance.

Micah, Eaton, Gillespie from left side. Alexei, Abreu, Avi from right. Grandal switch. Then whoever we put in LF.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offseason Moves:

1) Sign Melky Cabrera to 3 year/$45M deal

2) Sign Justin Masterson to 1 year/$10M deal

3) Sign Andrew Miller to 3 year/$22.5M deal

4) Trade Danish, Sanchez, & Ravelo for Jay Bruce ($12.5M AAV)

5) Trade Viciedo, Davidson, & Beck for Yasmani Grandal ($1M)

**Total payroll added about $46M

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Marcus Semien, 2B

3. Melky Cabrera, LF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Jay Bruce, RF

6. Asivail Garcia, DH (rotating)

7. Conor Gillaspie, 3B

8. Yasmani Grandal, C

9. Alexei Ramirez, SS

IF: Luery Garcia

IF: Tyler Saladino

OF: Moises Sierra

BC: Tyler Flowers

#1: Chris Sale

#2: Jose Quintana

#3: Justin Masterson

#4: Carlos Rodon

#5: John Danks

CL: Andrew Miller

SU: Chris Bassitt

SU: Jake Petricka

MR: Daniel Webb

MR: Eric Surkamp/Scott Snodgress

MR: Zach Putman/Javy Guerra

LR: Hector Noesi/Scott Carroll

man, I am really enjoying reading all these post. a lot of great ideas

and many different situations.

and now to WS with the favorites being elimeated, the QO deadline just around the

corner, and creative posters. a great beginning to the offseason.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
man, I am really enjoying reading all these post. a lot of great ideas

and many different situations.

and now to WS with the favorites being elimeated, the QO deadline just around the

corner, and creative posters. a great beginning to the offseason.

Exactly why I wanted to make this thread. To generate ideas and views everybody had.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
1 Adam Eaton L CF

2 Carlos Sanchez S 2B

3 Jose Abreu R 1B

4 Jay Bruce L RF

5 Avisail Garcia R RF

6 Adam Lind L DH

7 Alexei Ramirez R SS

8 Conor Gillaspie L 3B

9 Tyler Flowers R C

BN Marcus Semien R UTIL

BN Leury Garcia S UTIL

BN Mike Morse R DH/1B/OF

BN Adrian Nieto S C

1 Chris Sale L

2 Jose Quintana L

3 Hector Noesi R

4 John Danks L

5 Daniel Corcino R

MR Brandon Morrow R

MR Jake Petricka R

MR Daniel Webb R

MR Scott Snodgress L

MR Josh Outman L

SU Francellis Montas R

CL Carlos Rodon L

Adam Lind 2 years $18.5m

Mike Morse 2 years $9.5m

Brandon Morrow 1 year $5.5m

Josh Outman 1 year $4.5m

Dayan Viciedo, Micah Johnson, Courtney Hawkins to Cincinnati Reds for Jay Bruce, Daniel Corcino.

---------------

-Lind and Morse platoon. When facing lefties Morse plays the field for Abreu or Avisail, who themselves slide into the DH spot.

-Coin flip really between Semien and Sanchez over who starts the season at 2nd, I picked Sanchez because defense. Whoever doesn't start at 2nd will sub the IF positions.

-Open tryouts for 5th starter (or 4th starter); if one fails a new comes up from the minors.

-Rookies with great stuff make good bullpen pitchers. When Rodon joins the rotation (which could be midseason...) Montas is ready to move straight to closer.

I love the Jay Bruce idea. I hate the idea of Rodon and Montas to the bullpen though. If any of Rodon's service time is spent in the bullpen it is a huge mistake. What's the rush on making Montas a closer? He has the chance to be a potential front of the rotation starter. You let him fail before you even consider putting him in the bullpen.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 07:12 PM)
Make Smart Decisions...

Meaning dont trade away prospects, especially for horrible contracts.

Acquire more ML ready prospects.

Sign pitching depth in both the bullpen and the rotation. (Especially guys that I can flip at the deadline for prospects a la the Cubs.)

Put everyone of value on the block to see what offers are out there.

Just make smart baseball and fiancial decisions.

And who replied with a +1, this isn't Reddit.

Lol, who ever replies "+1" on Reddit? I got in the habit of replying +1 on older forums that wouldn't let you simply quote a reply and not add any text.

So you weren't exaggerating when you said your whole plan was just "do good things"? If you don't want to be exposed to ideas more precise than that, this probably isn't the thread for you.

Also, regarding trading prospects: I think there can definitely be situations where this team is ready to trade prospects. However, they have to be situations where we are acquiring ML players with a significant amount of controlability and, if not upside, at least evidence to suggest that their performances are sustainable over several years. It's totally fair if you think Carlos Gonzalez is a bad idea because you think he's overrated, but the idea of trading prospects for a guy who is 28, has a star-level track record, and may come at a discount because of his contract and injury history DOES make sense on paper.

So the response to that should not be "NO THAT IS DUMB THING," but rather, "Carlos Gonzalez is a bad idea because I think his injury issues are real and there's a lot of reason to believe his numbers are propped up by Coors and that his best years are behind him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Lol, who ever replies "+1" on Reddit? I got in the habit of replying +1 on older forums that wouldn't let you simply quote a reply and not add any text.

So you weren't exaggerating when you said your whole plan was just "do good things"? If you don't want to be exposed to ideas more precise than that, this probably isn't the thread for you.

Also, regarding trading prospects: I think there can definitely be situations where this team is ready to trade prospects. However, they have to be situations where we are acquiring ML players with a significant amount of controlability and, if not upside, at least evidence to suggest that their performances are sustainable over several years. It's totally fair if you think Carlos Gonzalez is a bad idea because you think he's overrated, but the idea of trading prospects for a guy who is 28, has a star-level track record, and may come at a discount because of his contract and injury history DOES make sense on paper.

So the response to that should not be "NO THAT IS DUMB THING," but rather, "Carlos Gonzalez is a bad idea because I think his injury issues are real and there's a lot of reason to believe his numbers are propped up by Coors and that his best years are behind him.

+1

I love the Jay Bruce idea. I hate the idea of Rodon and Montas to the bullpen though. If any of Rodon's service time is spent in the bullpen it is a huge mistake. What's the rush on making Montas a closer? He has the chance to be a potential front of the rotation starter. You let him fail before you even consider putting him in the bullpen.

It's tough to assume Rodon breaks camp in the White Sox rotation. Give him the Sale trearment, let him work a year in the pen to get himself together then once he's ready put him in the rotation. I don't care about service time, I care about making him a good pitcher for us.

As for Montas, he's headed to the pen anyways so why not get him in a leverage role now?

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
It's tough to assume Rodon breaks camp in the White Sox rotation. Give him the Sale trearment, let him work a year in the pen to get himself together then once he's ready put him in the rotation. I don't care about service time, I care about making him a good pitcher for us.

As for Montas, he's headed to the pen anyways so why not get him in a leverage role now?

I disagree with all of this post and I do not think there is very good logic behind it.

I can't comprehend why anyone would want to waste an entire year of Rodon in the pen. We're talking about a guy that most likely (say 90%) will be leaving our organization as soon as he can test free agency. On top of that, it's not like we have 5 quality starters preventing him from being a productive member of our rotation next year. Furthermore, he would fail to build up arm strength and would unlikely to provide us with an innings jump in 2016.

The whole idea is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 05:50 PM)
I can't comprehend why anyone would want to waste an entire year of Rodon in the pen. We're talking about a guy that most likely (say 90%) will be leaving our organization as soon as he can test free agency. On top of that, it's not like we have 5 quality starters preventing him from being a productive member of our rotation next year. Furthermore, he would fail to build up arm strength and would unlikely to provide us with an innings jump in 2016.

The whole idea is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

90 % you are very optimistic aren't you.

i wish people will remember who is agent is

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
90 % you are very optimistic aren't you.

i wish people will remember who is agent is

Scott Boras is Kris Bryant's agent. Why didn't Bryant get called up in September?

Because it doesn't make sense at that time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
1) Rodon is just as likely to stay here as he is to leave.

If you honestly feel this way, then you're completely ignoring history. Both in terms of what Boras clients have demanded (signed for) and the size/length of contacts the Sox have given to pitchers.

Sure there is a small chance that Rodon fires Boras or forces him to agree to an early extension, but if he does reach free agency he's pretty much as good as gone. Therefore, you manage the asset accordingly and derive as much value out of it as you possibly can over the next 6+ years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
If you honestly feel this way, then you're completely ignoring history. Both in terms of what Boras clients have demanded (signed for) and the size/length of contacts the Sox have given to pitchers.

Sure there is a small chance that Rodon fires Boras or forces him to agree to an early extension, but if he does reach free agency he's pretty much as good as gone. Therefore, you manage the asset accordingly and derive as much value out of it as you possibly can over the next 6+ years.

there is only 1 prospect that fired boRass for the sox and that was

the Danks family.

Rodon will not, b/c and this is my feelings, their dealings with Hahn after

he was drafted by the sox. doing things for the long term would be nice,

but the history with the above agent and the sox, well for lack of better

word, the personal animosity is there. we as fans can not ignore it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Giants are unwilling to play Belt in LF so your rationale is flawed. I figured if the Sox would play Adam Dunn in RF they'll play just about anyone in LF.

EDIT: I was just throwing s*** out there.

Flawed? Its rumored the Giants want Susac behind the plate and move Posey to first and with Morse going to FA, Belt going to LF makes absolute sense. I realize Belt is not a good defender in the OF but if the Giants like his bat then LF is the only place for him.

I agree about your logic with the Dunn reference. Hell, the same could be said about Tank who was painful to watch in LF at times. But, if the Sox did make a trade for Belt I'd be willing to bet he and Abreu would be switching between 1B and DH so the LF talk is irrelevant if Belt was a part of the Sox team.

I stress again, I absolutely love the idea of Belt and I give you credit for throwing that s*** out there but what it comes down to is the Giants do not need to get rid of him since a hole will be created by Morse leaving. The Sox would have to over pay.

Edit: Lighten up, Francis.

I wish Danks never fired Boras.

What I really, really don't want is for 6 years to pass and the 2021 White Sox are shaping up just like the 2012 White Sox (with Chris Sale being incredible and the team being a pit). Then we all look back on the 2015 season, with Jose Abreu, Chris Sale, Jose Quintana all in their primes and wonder if it was actually worth sending Rodon off because service time Boras paranoia.

And after the season Rodon leaves anyways and nobody really knows why it so imperative he stuck around another year on the cheap.

Edited by BaconOnAStick