Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
Thing is, Pitt just designated Tabata for assignment, which he accepted, so he is in AAA limbo making 4M in 2015. I don't think they would mind moving his salary considering they need the money to try and re-sign Martin, Liriano and Volquez. Sending a cheap back up OF like Sierra could help. Not sure what the Sox could offer to grab both Snyder and Tabata. I would imagine Bassitt would almost have to be included.

I still think Viciedo is a general fit for them in that they could use a righty to pair with Ike Davis over at 1b. They'd have to like him and think there's more that he can do, but I can't help but see the possible match.

I'm also very much of the belief that they will move Pedro Alvarez this offseason as well.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Thank God you are not the GM, and you don't want Cargo the millionth f***ing time, he makes no sense for the Sox and he is the definition of a bad contract. He's not even a guy you could buy low on and take a risk since the contract is so big.

Preach on it Joshua, preach on it!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
I still think Viciedo is a general fit for them in that they could use a righty to pair with Ike Davis over at 1b. They'd have to like him and think there's more that he can do, but I can't help but see the possible match.

I'm also very much of the belief that they will move Pedro Alvarez this offseason as well.

Hmmm, I like your thinking on this.Viciedo for Tabata would pretty much be an even swap financially speaking. With Viciedo's power and Tabata recently optioned, Viciedo should have a tick more value than Tabata and that value then applied towards the trade involving Snyder. Still not sure what the Sox would offer along with Viciedo.

I just hope Hahn doesn't have interest in Alvarez. I like Alvarez's power but his low BA and high K's reminds me too much of, well, you know.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Signings:

1B Adam LaRoche 2 years/20 million

UTIl Emilio Bonifacio 2 years/10 million

RP Luke Hochever 1 year/3 million

SP Jake Peavy 1 year/10 million

Trades:

Sox acquire RP Brandon Maurer from the Mariners for OF Dayan Viciedo

Sox acquire OF Carlos Gonzalez and RP Rex Brothers from the Rockies for SP Chris Beck, 2B Micah Johnson, SP Francellis Montas, OF Courtney Hawkins

Sox trade SP John Danks to the Marlins for SP Austin Brice

Release/Let Go

RP Ronald Belisario

RP Matt Lindstrom

SP Felipe Paulino

1B Paul Konerko (Retirement)

DFA

RP Frank De Los Santos

RP Taylor Thompson

RP Raul Fernandez

Line Up

CF Adam Eaton

SS Alexei Ramirez

1B Jose Abreu

LF Carlos Gonzalez

RF Avisail Garcia

DH Adam LaRoche

3B Conor Gillaspie

2B Marcus Semien

C Tyler Flowers

Rotation

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Jake Peavy

SP Hector Noesi

SP Chris Bassitt

Bullpen

RP Scott Carroll (long relief)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP Brandon Maurer/Luke Hochever

RP Rex Brothers

RP Erik Surkamp

RP Daniel Webb

Bench

C Josh Phegley

2B/SS Carlos Sanchez

OF Jordan Danks

UTIL Emilio Bonifacio

Thoughts?

Plus why would you trade prospects, especially 3 of your best prospects to acquire a guy who's often injured and has a bad contract. The dude is owed over $55 million over the next three years. Making that stupid trade you suggested just s***s on all the work the team has done during this rebuild and it also go against the permaneters that Rick Hahn has set for the team when he became GM. No trading away young talent, especially young talent for past their prime veterans and no bad contracts.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
Hmmm, I like your thinking on this.Viciedo for Tabata would pretty much be an even swap financially speaking. With Viciedo's power and Tabata recently optioned, Viciedo should have a tick more value than Tabata and that value then applied towards the trade involving Snyder. Still not sure what the Sox would offer along with Viciedo.

I just hope Hahn doesn't have interest in Alvarez. I like Alvarez's power but his low BA and high K's reminds me too much of, well, you know.

I think Alvarez at DH makes a lot of sense for us if we do something like landing the cuban OF as our biggest offseason signing especially if we don't lose our 2nd round pick in any other big move. But yeah, we know who.

Signings:

2B Jose Fernandez 6 years / $70M

SP Justin Masterson 1year / $7M 2nd year $12M option

RP Franklin Morales - 3/$14M million

LF Gerardo Parra 1/$4M 2nd year $6M option

Trades:

Sox acquire IF Pedro Alvarez for Marcus Semien and Chris Beck

Sox trade 2B Micah Johnson to the BJ's for RP Brett Cecil and SP Roberto Osuna

Sox trade 2B Carlos Sanchez to the Yankees for Jose A Ramirez and Jorge Mateo

Release/Let Go

RP Ronald Belisario

RP Matt Lindstrom

SP Felipe Paulino

DFA

RP Frank De Los Santos

RP Taylor Thompson

Line Up

CF Adam Eaton

SS Alexei Ramirez

2B Jose Fernandez

1B Jose Abreu

DH Pedro Alvarez

RF Avisail Garcia

3B Conor Gillaspie/Davidson

C Tyler Flowers

LF Gerardo Parra/Viciedo

Rotation

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Hector Noesi

SP John Danks

SP Justin Masterson/Erik Johnson

Bullpen

RP Erik Surkamp (long relief)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP Jose A Ramirez/Raul Fernandez

RP Brett Cecil

RP Franklin Morales

RP Daniel Webb

Bench

C Josh Phegley

UTIL Tyler Saladino

OF Viciedo/Parra

DH/3B Matt Davidson

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
I think Alvarez at DH makes a lot of sense for us if we do something like landing the cuban OF as our biggest offseason signing especially if we don't lose our 2nd round pick in any other big move. But yeah, we know who.

So are you thinking the Sox have a better chance of grabbing Alvarez over Snyder out of Pitt?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Thank God you are not the GM, and you don't want Cargo the millionth f***ing time, he makes no sense for the Sox and he is the definition of a bad contract. He's not even a guy you could buy low on and take a risk since the contract is so big.

Lol, I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but I thought it was a pretty reasonable set of ideas at fairly realistic costs. Assuming rational cost, what is your plan that is so drastically different than this?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
So are you thinking the Sox have a better chance of grabbing Alvarez over Snyder out of Pitt?

Well, Snider is cheaper, and fills the role as the counterpoint to all their right hand hitting corner OFs. Alvarez is now very position limited, can really only play 1b/DH, has little experience at 1b so you're not going to want him there every day, hits from the same side of the plate as Ike Davis, and is already more expensive.

I'd have to say that they'll move Alvarez. I literally can't see how he fits on their roster unless they drop Ike Davis for nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
Well, Snider is cheaper, and fills the role as the counterpoint to all their right hand hitting corner OFs. Alvarez is now very position limited, can really only play 1b/DH, has little experience at 1b so you're not going to want him there every day, hits from the same side of the plate as Ike Davis, and is already more expensive.

I'd have to say that they'll move Alvarez. I literally can't see how he fits on their roster unless they drop Ike Davis for nothing.

From the Pirates POV, it makes more sense to move Alvarez and keep Snyder so what you say makes sense. In that case they can keep Tabata and his contract and the Sox keep Sierra. So could we be looking at a possible Viciedo for Alvarez swap? Could make sense for both teams.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
From the Pirates POV, it makes more sense to move Alvarez and keep Snyder so what you say makes sense. In that case they can keep Tabata and his contract and the Sox keep Sierra. So could we be looking at a possible Viciedo for Alvarez swap? Could make sense for both teams.

I've thought that as well and it really starts to make sense if the Sox are able to sign that Cuban OF. We fill our OF slot with a righty that Abreu likes, we fill our 1b/DH slot with a power bat that can slot in behind Abreu and spell him sometimes at 1b, we balance our lineup better than it is now, and we do so without sacrificing a draft pick or any bonus money.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Signings:

2B Jose Fernandez 6 years / $70M

SP Justin Masterson 1year / $7M 2nd year $12M option

RP Franklin Morales - 3/$14M million

LF Gerardo Parra 1/$4M 2nd year $6M option

Trades:

Sox acquire IF Pedro Alvarez for Marcus Semien and Chris Beck

Sox trade 2B Micah Johnson to the BJ's for RP Brett Cecil and SP Roberto Osuna

Sox trade 2B Carlos Sanchez to the Yankees for Jose A Ramirez and Jorge Mateo

Release/Let Go

RP Ronald Belisario

RP Matt Lindstrom

SP Felipe Paulino

DFA

RP Frank De Los Santos

RP Taylor Thompson

Line Up

CF Adam Eaton

SS Alexei Ramirez

2B Jose Fernandez

1B Jose Abreu

DH Pedro Alvarez

RF Avisail Garcia

3B Conor Gillaspie/Davidson

C Tyler Flowers

LF Gerardo Parra/Viciedo

Rotation

SP Chris Sale

SP Jose Quintana

SP Hector Noesi

SP John Danks

SP Justin Masterson/Erik Johnson

Bullpen

RP Erik Surkamp (long relief)

RP Jake Petricka

RP Zach Putnam

RP Jose A Ramirez/Raul Fernandez

RP Brett Cecil

RP Franklin Morales

RP Daniel Webb

Bench

C Josh Phegley

UTIL Tyler Saladino

OF Viciedo/Parra

DH/3B Matt Davidson

I'm an admitted Marcus Semien homer, but Semien and Beck for Alvarez is a vast overpay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
I've thought that as well and it really starts to make sense if the Sox are able to sign that Cuban OF. We fill our OF slot with a righty that Abreu likes, we fill our 1b/DH slot with a power bat that can slot in behind Abreu and spell him sometimes at 1b, we balance our lineup better than it is now, and we do so without sacrificing a draft pick or any bonus money.

I admit I'm kinda leery of Tomas due to the scouting reports are a reminder of Viciedo but if its true that Abreu is pumping Tomas to the front office then maybe there's more than what the scouting reports have to say. I think one possible scenerio is ....

Sox trade Viciedo for Alvarez (DH). Sox sign Tomas (LF). Sox sign Headley (3B/LHH). Sox trade Gillaspie. Sanchez, Semien and Johnson battle it out for 2B. Sox lose no draft picks and have plenty of money to sign/ trade for relief help.

I'm liking this more and more as we discuss this Balta.

I'd have some interest in CarGo, but the proposed offer in the OP would be a huge overpay. We're talking two legit top 100 prospects, another former top 100 prospect coming off a very solid season, and a pitching prospect that has a greater than zero chance of becoming of a back of the rotation starter. Add in CarGo's insane contract and health issues and it would be a very bad trade IMO.

In today's environment where teams overvalue prospects, a package that includes Johnson, Montas, Hawkins, & Beck should get you a much better asset in return. That player may have the same ceiling as CarGo, but should be much safer bet of reaching it and without the incredibly large salary.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Lol, I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but I thought it was a pretty reasonable set of ideas at fairly realistic costs. Assuming rational cost, what is your plan that is so drastically different than this?

Make smart decisions.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Make smart decisions.

You know, if you are going to insult SoxPride and his ideas, the least thing you could do is come up with something better than this when asked to show off your own foolproof plan.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
I admit I'm kinda leery of Tomas due to the scouting reports are a reminder of Viciedo but if its true that Abreu is pumping Tomas to the front office then maybe there's more than what the scouting reports have to say. I think one possible scenerio is ....

Sox trade Viciedo for Alvarez (DH). Sox sign Tomas (LF). Sox sign Headley (3B/LHH). Sox trade Gillaspie. Sanchez, Semien and Johnson battle it out for 2B. Sox lose no draft picks and have plenty of money to sign/ trade for relief help.

I'm liking this more and more as we discuss this Balta.

Why not sign Kendry Morales instead of picking up Alvarez, who is possibly not much more that another Dunn? Then trade Viciedo for some bullpen help.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Why not sign Kendry Morales instead of picking up Alvarez, who is possibly not much more that another Dunn? Then trade Viciedo for some bullpen help.

Morales put up a whopping .612 OPS last year. I can give excuses why both of them had a down year, but man, Morales was as punchless as Gordon Beckham. Maybe Alvarez's foot problems continue and Morales makes a comeback if he actually has a spring training, do your homework and a physical on both, but given an even choice? The guy who is 4 years younger and hit a helluva lot better would make more sense to me.

And no one is giving legit "Bullpen help" for Viciedo. Viciedo is a borderline non tender candidate. The reason why I'd think Alvarez might work for him is that Alvarez is on that same path and it'd be a "fresh start" setup for both guys.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
Alvarez is another high strikeout guy who is in decline.

Can we please move on from that profile of a player.

First of all, welcome to modern day MLB. You're literally not moving on from high strikeout guys, they're all over the place. Secondly, he had a down year, with some major fielding issues and injury issues, both of which went to the plate with him. He's 27, at that age its entirely possible he could pull things together next year. Hell, he could probably be even better if he stays healthy and is put in the right setting.

He's not the greatest hitter in human history, but he shouldn't have a very high price, he would fill a need on our team, and he'd be less of a long term money commitment than most of the other DH options. He ought to at least be on the list.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
First of all, welcome to modern day MLB. You're literally not moving on from high strikeout guys, they're all over the place. Secondly, he had a down year, with some major fielding issues and injury issues, both of which went to the plate with him. He's 27, at that age its entirely possible he could pull things together next year. Hell, he could probably be even better if he stays healthy and is put in the right setting.

He's not the greatest hitter in human history, but he shouldn't have a very high price, he would fill a need on our team, and he'd be less of a long term money commitment than most of the other DH options. He ought to at least be on the list.

Yup, all of this.

I'm not giving up Semien and Beck for him but if you can get him on the cheap, he's the perfect fit for this team as he hits righties extremely well.

My plan keeping it as realistic as possible....

Viciedo, Erik Johnson, and Chris Beck for Dom Brown and Jonathan Papelbon. Phillies include $4M this year and $4M next year if/when Papelbon's option vests.

FA Signings-

Colby Rasmus (3/34.5)- On the right side of 30, left handed, good pop, and will play a good LF.

Andrew Miller (4/28)- He's a flat out beast. Will be a fixture in the pen for all 4 years and be a dominant presence in the backend for all 4 years

Justin Masterson (1/10)- He needs to have a bounceback year and we need a RHP. And he seems to be good every other year so it should work out great for us :P

C- Flowers

1b- Abreu

2b- Johnson/Semien

SS- Alexei

3B- Gillaspie/Semien (L/R platoon)

LF- Rasmus

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

DH- Brown

SP- Sale

SP- Q

SP- Masterson

SP- Danks

SP- Noesi/Bassit (ST battle)

RP- Webb

RP- Putnam

RP- Jones

RP- Snodgress

RP- Miller

RP- Petricka

RP- Papelbon

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
From the Pirates POV, it makes more sense to move Alvarez and keep Snyder so what you say makes sense. In that case they can keep Tabata and his contract and the Sox keep Sierra.

Pirates DFA'd Tabata