**Official 2014 World Series Thread**

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:37 PM)
If I had to pick one signature moment of this Series, it has to be Panik's double play. Other than that, this was all Bumgarner. Great performance.

God damn Reds just had to win one game out of three at home in 2012. Now we're stuck with the even year thing for the next couple years.

Can you imagine if Jeter made that play?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 10:38 PM)
Well the Giants were certainly not the decade, I'd agree.

I think this was a fabulous World Series, it was very exciting and was a fitting end to an exciting playoffs for MLB. I'm sad it had to end.

It's funny because every AL series was a sweep, this was the only game 7 (or LDS game 5) yet the playoffs were exciting.

This Chevy MVP presentation is brutal.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in the shuffle is how well a rookie in Yordano Ventura won two "must win" games for the Royals to keep them in it.

He has a very bright future in the game if he can stay healthy.

Yost should never have bunted Escobar in that situation (with Bumgarner shaky and control not locked in) unless he was going to pinch-hit for Aoki...the lack of quality hitters off the bench (they could have brought in Dyson defensively) really stung the Royals there.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...cle3459750.html

The problem for the White Sox is that the Royals probably would have followed up this season by resting on their laurels.

Now you have TWO super-hungry teams in the Royals and Tigers, the Twins definitely trending upwards with a new manager/philosophy in place and the Indians still lurking.

Hahn has his work more than cut out for him if the budget limit is adding roughly $20-30 million in "new" free agent or acquisition contract dollars.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
for them it's "been there, done that"

Which is perfect timing because it makes it easier for them to move on from Sandoval...and Peavy, for example.

With their lack of offense, bringing back Michael Morse would seem to be an imperative, but the problem is he's essentially a DH/1B now and the Giants will want to protect Posey by playing him more at 1B and Susac's waiting in line to get more time behind the dish. Like the White Sox, they need a combo (offense/defense) guy for LF, maybe it's going to be Nick Markakis. Doubt they'd bring back Melky Cabrera. Rasmus is another possibility for them.

It would also be quite interesting if Hanley Ramirez ended up playing 3B for SF next year...they can't survive offensively with Ishikawa/Perez/Pagan/Blanco in LF/CF...unless Cain returns as a co-ace with Bumgarner. Both Sandoval and Hanley come with huge risk attached for anything beyond a three-year deal.

They're also clearly going to lose Romo, who will get a closer's job again with another team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
No way. He played four games and got dropped, does he really get a ring ?

All 46 players the Giants used get rings. Coaching staff, front office, scouts, etc. They hand them out pretty liberally these days.

Tough loss for the Royals. They had no chance against Baumgarner. Couldn't lay off his high stuff like Frank Thomas said in the postgame. Frank is really intelligent IMO. Would be excellent analyst/manager/hitting coach/whatever.

When that ball skipped by the center fielder, I thought Gordon would scoot all the way around the bases. That was KC's only chance. Had Gordon somehow scored, KC would have won the World Series.

Now they start all over next April. Right now they are light years ahead of the White Sox. I pity myself and our fanbase cause Detroit and KC figure to remain way better than our Sox, who also have no easy time beating Cleveland and/or Minnie.

We better hope KC misses Shields and fails to get a good slugger to replace Butler. Without some more hitting, KC's lineup will remain abysmal. They need Colon to enter the lineup somewhere and be a star. He does look good.

Once again, the last laugh is on the AL. The AL gets homefield and still can't win the WS. The Royals looked like s*** the three games in the NL park. This AL supremacy talk grows old when we do not dominate the WS at all.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
Tough loss for the Royals. They had no chance against Baumgarner. Couldn't lay off his high stuff like Frank Thomas said in the postgame. Frank is really intelligent IMO. Would be excellent analyst/manager/hitting coach/whatever.

When that ball skipped by the center fielder, I thought Gordon would scoot all the way around the bases. That was KC's only chance. Had Gordon somehow scored, KC would have won the World Series.

Now they start all over next April. Right now they are light years ahead of the White Sox. I pity myself and our fanbase cause Detroit and KC figure to remain way better than our Sox, who also have no easy time beating Cleveland and/or Minnie.

We better hope KC misses Shields and fails to get a good slugger to replace Butler. Without some more hitting, KC's lineup will remain abysmal. They need Colon to enter the lineup somewhere and be a star. He does look good.

Once again, the last laugh is on the AL. The AL gets homefield and still can't win the WS. The Royals looked like s*** the three games in the NL park. This AL supremacy talk grows old when we do not dominate the WS at all.

What the hell, the Red Sox won the WS last year.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
3 titles in 5 years. I usually don't like throwing the dynasty title around like others but.... yea.

If Cain comes back 100% next year, they're going to be tough to knock off...and they still have to figure out what to do with Lincecum, who's guaranteed $18 million for next season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 06:13 AM)
If Cain comes back 100% next year, they're going to be tough to knock off...and they still have to figure out what to do with Lincecum, who's guaranteed $18 million for next season.

LOL at Lincecum contract; how many of these GMs will continue to make these mistakes?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 05:45 AM)
Caulfield has now puiged the royals. They have just become a monstrous juggernaut that cannot be overcome no matter how the Sox try.

Pack it up White Sox, 2015 is over

It will be a huge surprise if the White Sox aren't picked 4th or 5th by every preseason publication.

Not easy to do with one of the five best pitchers in baseball and one of the ten best hitters.

Even when the White Sox were "pretty good" in 2012, they couldn't handle Jeremy Guthrie and Bruce Chen. The White Sox DO match up a lot better with the Giants, as we all know. The Giants are hardly a juggernaut either, except they just win when it counts.

If the White Sox don't have a payroll over $90 million, your last sentence will be prophetic.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 06:54 AM)
It will be a huge surprise if the White Sox aren't picked 4th or 5th by every preseason publication.

Not easy to do with one of the five best pitchers in baseball and one of the ten best hitters.

Even when the White Sox were "pretty good" in 2012, they couldn't handle Jeremy Guthrie and Bruce Chen. The White Sox DO match up a lot better with the Giants, as we all know. The Giants are hardly a juggernaut either, except they just win when it counts.

If the White Sox don't have a payroll over $90 million, your last sentence will be prophetic.

I would say the team that has won 3 of the last 5 World Series is a bit more of a juggernaut than the team that got hot in September.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
I would say the team that has won 3 of the last 5 World Series is a bit more of a juggernaut than the team that got hot in September.

You can't argue with 3 World Series in 5 years, but nobody will confuse the Giants with the late 90s Yankees. They never even won 95 games and they missed the playoffs in '11 and '13. They just do know how to get done in the crapshoot that is October.