Yoan Moncada signs with Red Sox

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)
If the money's going to ANY Cuban, it would be better invested in Moncada than Tomas or Rusney Castillo.

The problem's that Moncada is the long-term play here, and how willing is JR to open the purse strings for a guy who might not contribute until 2017 (at the earliest) or 2018?

As a White Sox fan, if it's an EITHER Moncada or putting $30-40 million into these next two offseasons, then you have to take the "win now" approach even though Moncada has superstar written all over him and the majority of FA acquisitions are LIKELY to be more incremental improvements, barring a major surprise and opening of the purse strings.

I'm am a huge fan of Jose Fernandez and thinks he should most definitely be the

sox next signing. when ever he comes out from hiding.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
We can't ignore the additional cost of forfeiting all international signings for two years as well.

This smells like something that's going to be nuts to me. I highly doubt Hahn takes this kind of risk.

if the sox get a nice all around selections of player / prospects. 2 yrs

would not be a bad stagger. let all the sox prospects develop and 2

yrs later start on the next wave of prospect.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 11:04 PM)
We can't ignore the additional cost of forfeiting all international signings for two years as well.

This smells like something that's going to be nuts to me. I highly doubt Hahn takes this kind of risk.

question int"l signing is being referred to int'l draft right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 6m6 minutes ago

Big day for international scouts tomorrow. Every team flying in to Guatemala to see a showcase for Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada.

it will be ineresting to see what the rpt's will look like.

Can anybody answer this. Why did the Cubs and Rangers only get a 1 year penalty from international signings. This year Red Sox, Yankees, Rays get a 2 year penalty for going over 15% the allotted money. Why didn't that happen to the Cubs and Rangers?

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 06:20 PM)
Can anybody answer this. Why did the Cubs and Rangers only get a 1 year penalty from international signings. This year Red Sox, Yankees, Rays get a 2 year penalty for going over 15% the allotted money. Why didn't that happen to the Cubs and Rangers get 2 years also?

The rule changed.

Hearing he's having the tryout in Guatemala reminds me of "Million Dollar Arm."

So bizarre, the guy everyone's hyping as the next big superstar after Mike Trout and he's in the second poorest Central American country after Honduras.

#24, same as Viciedo, haha.

If there was ONE time I really wanted JR to open up the purse strings and take a risk, it's on Moncada.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 03:42 AM)

So bizarre, the guy everyone's hyping as the next big superstar after Mike Trout and he's in the second poorest Central American country after Honduras.

If there was ONE time I really wanted JR to open up the purse strings and take a risk, it's on Moncada.

I just don't know. I really need to read what others will say tomorrow, after they

see him.

for me, my money would be on Jose Fernadez and / or Tomas. this is subject to chg.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)

Did you not want him to do that last year for Abreu? Because he did, lol.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
Did you not want him to do that last year for Abreu? Because he did, lol.

Yes, but this one player would cripple our minor league spending for two seasons AND essentially be a doubling down of a $30 million deal to a $45-60 million gamble (putting all of the eggs in one basket) because of the built-in fines and penalties.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
Yes, but this one player would cripple our minor league spending for two seasons AND essentially be a doubling down of a $30 million deal to a $45-60 million gamble (putting all of the eggs in one basket) because of the built-in fines and penalties.

I get a little confuse with the yrs involve in the penalty.

some poster posted something last wk on whether it would

benefit the sox to make the move of overspending in the draft.

so when will be the a good time, considering the other major

mlb teams. next yr right???

or will doing it for this player be the time?

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:30 AM)
I get a little confuse with the yrs involve in the penalty.

some poster posted something last wk on whether it would

benefit the sox to make the move of overspending in the draft.

so when will be the a good time, considering the other major

mlb teams. next yr right???

or will doing it for this player be the time?

I don't see how they can realistically compete with some of the other big players in the market who are already over the limits, as those organizations already have no compelling reason NOT to go for broke with a Moncada signing.

A lot depends on whether he's freed up to sign before or after June 15th, 2015. There are five clubs with significant resources and no fear of losing the ability to sign anyone else...and I'm just not sure the White Sox can take that approach with a player who probably wouldn't be in the big leagues until 2017 or 2018.

It's an interesting decision for the team that eventually signs him, in the face of all the financial penalties and signing limitations they'll face.

Edited by caulfield12