Yoan Moncada signs with Red Sox

GGajewski18

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
I don't see how they can realistically compete with some of the other big players in the market who are already over the limits, as those organizations already have no compelling reason NOT to go for broke with a Moncada signing.

A lot depends on whether he's freed up to sign before or after June 15th, 2015. There are five clubs with significant resources and no fear of losing the ability to sign anyone else...and I'm just not sure the White Sox can take that approach with a player who probably wouldn't be in the big leagues until 2017 or 2018.

It's an interesting decision for the team that eventually signs him, in the face of all the financial penalties and signing limitations they'll face.

nice post.....

however I have a feeling that if the sox are close in their bid, he might just

pick the sox.

I will always argue this point and the point is, Jose A is that icon for a lot of

Cuban players before and I will as expect it to be now with the awards he won.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
As much as I'd love Moncada, it's a pipe dream with Jerry Reinsdorf as the owner of the franchise. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't even think its going to be a JR issue. He's willing to spend. The real problem is throwing away the next two years of amateur LatAm signings - which I don't think Hahn or KW are willing to do, just when that pipeline has started working again.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
I just don't know. I really need to read what others will say tomorrow, after they

see him.

for me, my money would be on Jose Fernadez and / or Tomas. this is subject to chg.

A lot of misinformation will come out starting tomorrow. Teams will leak reports of a slow bat, etc. Lots of misinformation to confuse people or attempt to scare people. Happens quite often in the major international FA market.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 05:40 AM)
If the bids are going to be that high, I agree.

The bigger question is would we even bid in excess of our allotment? If that answer is no, then its a non-starter. If the answer is yes, then I don't know why they wouldn't be aggressive if they liked their scouting. I realize some of the big boys were out of the Abreu sweepstakes but we weren't shy in that regard and by all accounts we were pretty aggressive with Tanaka as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
I don't even think its going to be a JR issue. He's willing to spend. The real problem is throwing away the next two years of amateur LatAm signings - which I don't think Hahn or KW are willing to do, just when that pipeline has started working again.

It is a JR issue, because he won't allow the spending to happen for something that goes over the caps.

I am also curious how people would feel about this signing if it precluded us from spending anymore money the rest of the winter.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
The bigger question is would we even bid in excess of our allotment? If that answer is no, then its a non-starter. If the answer is yes, then I don't know why they wouldn't be aggressive if they liked their scouting. I realize some of the big boys were out of the Abreu sweepstakes but we weren't shy in that regard and by all accounts we were pretty aggressive with Tanaka as well.

I don't see it happening.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)

I think you have to say if we do this, we need to either pull back funds from those next two years or you take those funds and say this is an excess signing and dump even more money right now to sign up more guys. Plus long-term, you might see international draft sooner and therefor may not actually have to serve out the extent of the penalties. Bottom line, if you are going to take the hit, you need to make sure you aggregate as much talent as possible now.

One intangible lost is you are basically two years removed from the network so how close you are to that pipeline and relationships you build might not be as strong since you won't be a player for a couple years (vs. teams that are perennial players).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
I don't see it happening.

I agree with you. I don't know what is more likely, Sox going 6 years on a big money FA starter or Sox doing this. Neither are very likely. I think Sox would be willing to go 4 yrs and big money on a FA starter though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
A lot of misinformation will come out starting tomorrow. Teams will leak reports of a slow bat, etc. Lots of misinformation to confuse people or attempt to scare people. Happens quite often in the major international FA market.

yeah, but next yrs int'l pool looks very exciting, Vlad son and others that will be

coming out. next yr I hope the sox will over spend in their limit.

but with ref to Yoan, if by signing him, ruins our chances for next yr. I don't know

I think I will sign him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)

Is Yoan Moncada worth two Micker Adolfo's? If the answer is yes, then make the deal.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
yeah, but next yrs int'l pool looks very exciting, Vlad son and others that will be

coming out. next yr I hope the sox will over spend in their limit.

but with ref to Yoan, if by signing him, ruins our chances for next yr. I don't know

I think I will sign him.

Many of those players are already attached to teams that are not the White Sox though. The Cubs are going to go all in again and I would not be surprised to see the Rangers do the same. I would expect another haul that is similar to this seasons, which is solid but not spectacular. The Sox can still spend in LA, just cannot spend more than $350K per player and there are a number of good players that can be had at that number.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
Is Yoan Moncada worth two Micker Adolfo's? If the answer is yes, then make the deal.

I agree however I am looking at this way.

Yoan is older than the prospects like Micker. his development time will not take

long or even he can help sooner than a Micker.

the sox don't have the luxury of waiting for the player to develop.

however the sox need to find a nice balance between quick rewards

and long time rewards.

now with the state of the sox systems, I would take a chance of the quick. that is

depending on how the MLB FA's signing is going or is estimated to go.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Many of those players are already attached to teams that are not the White Sox though. The Cubs are going to go all in again and I would not be surprised to see the Rangers do the same. I would expect another haul that is similar to this seasons, which is solid but not spectacular. The Sox can still spend in LA, just cannot spend more than $350K per player and there are a number of good players that can be had at that number.

thanks. I will admit that I don't have any inside info on how the sox will do.

I am just going from what I can read and dig up. it is crazy tho to watch and

try to guess on how Hahn would do it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
Yes, but this one player would cripple our minor league spending for two seasons AND essentially be a doubling down of a $30 million deal to a $45-60 million gamble (putting all of the eggs in one basket) because of the built-in fines and penalties.

Ok gotcha. Probably should have reworded it that if there was 1 player you'd risk Int'l spending penalties for, it'd be Moncada.

I was reading on Yoan in mlb rumors.

it quoted a gm as saying he is looking for a 30-40 million dollar deal.

with the penalty that amount will incur, it will be 100% penalty.

so taking the low dollar amount of 30 mil + 30 mil for the penalty

ahhh no freaking way.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:13 AM)
I was reading on Yoan in mlb rumors.

it quoted a gm as saying he is looking for a 30-40 million dollar deal.

with the penalty that amount will incur, it will be 100% penalty.

so taking the low dollar amount of 30 mil + 30 mil for the penalty

ahhh no freaking way.

Plus the team can't sign a player for more then 300k for the next 2 signing periods If they give that much of a bonus.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 06:39 AM)
Plus the team can't sign a player for more then 300k for the next 2 signing periods If they give that much of a bonus.

Isn't there talk of going to an international draft in the next couple of years? If so, who knows if these penalties will somehow carry over to the new system.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)

If all the truly elite talent is snatched up for over the limit doesn't the signing period then just become a huge crapshoot betting on 16 yrs olds and how they develope ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ .v 13, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)
If all the truly elite talent is snatched up for over the limit doesn't the signing period then just become a huge crapshoot betting on 16 yrs olds and how they develope ?

I'd rather grab this kid for that reason. I'm ok with not grabbing a couple 16 year olds the next couple of seasons.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
Isn't there talk of going to an international draft in the next couple of years? If so, who knows if these penalties will somehow carry over to the new system.

that has yet to be determine, wasn't that 1 or the reason the Yanks destroyed their

int'l draft salary cap last draft.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)

a good point, but I am betting on next yr draft. a lot of talent there.

I wonder if the Cuban talent has pretty much even out yet.