GGajewski18

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
do you really think that????

is he worth at 60 mill ???

how many yrs are attached to those bids?

No years, he is being signed as an amateur and will go through the minors just as any other high school kid would, free agency will be calculated from when he reaches the majors, so it could be 6 years or it could be 10 depending on his development.

Sounds like he is able to handle 3B and 2B well and some teams think he could still develop as a SS. So for that money, if you feel he can stick at SS, he is definitely worth it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
No years, he is being signed as an amateur and will go through the minors just as any other high school kid would, free agency will be calculated from when he reaches the majors, so it could be 6 years or it could be 10 depending on his development.

Sounds like he is able to handle 3B and 2B well and some teams think he could still develop as a SS. So for that money, if you feel he can stick at SS, he is definitely worth it.

Assuming they don't put a provision in his contract that gets him out into free agency early.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
Assuming they don't put a provision in his contract that gets him out into free agency early.

I think the only thing they could do is limit the Sox ability to make a QO, and on an amateur deal I am not sure they even have the ability to do that, I believe the rest is governed by the CBA. On a ML deal they can get pretty creative.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
I think the only thing they could do is limit the Sox ability to make a QO, and on an amateur deal I am not sure they even have the ability to do that, I believe the rest is governed by the CBA. On a ML deal they can get pretty creative.

there has to be a loop hole. someone just hasn't found it.

if it is posted for this yr, I still say pass. what are the posters opinions?

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)
there has to be a loop hole. someone just hasn't found it.

if it is posted for this yr, I still say pass. what are the posters opinions?

I say go for it. There is not often talent of this level available on the open market, this is not some 16 year old kid, this would be like signing Nick Gordon from last years draft as a FA, except a better prospect. The Sox can just use their international money to sign 30 kids at $300 K, as the whole LA thing is kind of a crap shoot anyway.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 08:19 PM)
I say go for it. There is not often talent of this level available on the open market, this is not some 16 year old kid, this would be like signing Nick Gordon from last years draft as a FA, except a better prospect. The Sox can just use their international money to sign 30 kids at $300 K, as the whole LA thing is kind of a crap shoot anyway.

1 last question to what you answer.

isn't next yr int'l draft suppose to be better than last yr ????

I was reading an update on Yoan, he was given permission to leave and

pursue baseball and he can come back at will to Cuba.

I find that a little nerving and isn't it against the rules. wasn't there a player

who was force to go back to Cuba b/c of something like that. I know he had

a fake passport and all. still the MLB made the country send him back, b/c he

could always go back.

there is that 1 ball player, how bout the couple who are playing in Asia, if they

get the same kind of situation that Yoan is getting, then why can't they play in

the usa.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
1 last question to what you answer.

isn't next yr int'l draft suppose to be better than last yr ????

I side with taking a guy that is closer to the majors over anybody that is 16 and may not be in rookie leagues for three more years. Michael Ynoa got one of the largest bonuses as a 16 year old and now looks like a middle reliever. Starlin Castro got a pretty small bonus and plays at a high level in the majors. There is so much uncertainty in those signings that I would not be against taking a shotgun approach to signing as many kids as possible under that $300K number for the next couple of seasons as the bust rate for latin american talent is very high.

From Kiley McDaniels via mlbtr:

"McDaniel writes that were Moncada not subject to international spending limitations, he’d probably clear $100MM with relative ease. Some scouts, he notes, feel Moncada is more talented than Jose Abreu, Rusney Castillo and Yasmany Tomas."

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 13, 2014 -> 11:17 PM)
I was reading an update on Yoan, he was given permission to leave and

pursue baseball and he can come back at will to Cuba.

I find that a little nerving and isn't it against the rules. wasn't there a player

who was force to go back to Cuba b/c of something like that. I know he had

a fake passport and all. still the MLB made the country send him back, b/c he

could always go back.

there is that 1 ball player, how bout the couple who are playing in Asia, if they

get the same kind of situation that Yoan is getting, then why can't they play in

the usa.

Alfredo Despaigne was sent back to Cuba from Mexico, but I think that was related more to the Mexican government busting him for using a fraudulent passport more than anything he is one of the two players that went on to play in Japan.

To me, if this guy is worth $100M on the open market and because of the loss of rights, I can get him for 60 (including fines)...I do just that. I thnk about the number of guys above $300K that we would lose out on signing and it really isn't that big of a deal when compared with the potential upside of the one guy we are getting. I'd then just sign a bunch of guys for the 300K or less amount. That can still end up getting you quality talent in those particular years you are barred (go higher volume cause we still would have decent pools anyway).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
I side with taking a guy that is closer to the majors over anybody that is 16 and may not be in rookie leagues for three more years. Michael Ynoa got one of the largest bonuses as a 16 year old and now looks like a middle reliever. Starlin Castro got a pretty small bonus and plays at a high level in the majors. There is so much uncertainty in those signings that I would not be against taking a shotgun approach to signing as many kids as possible under that $300K number for the next couple of seasons as the bust rate for latin american talent is very high.

From Kiley McDaniels via mlbtr:

"McDaniel writes that were Moncada not subject to international spending limitations, he’d probably clear $100MM with relative ease. Some scouts, he notes, feel Moncada is more talented than Jose Abreu, Rusney Castillo and Yasmany Tomas."

Alfredo Despaigne was sent back to Cuba from Mexico, but I think that was related more to the Mexican government busting him for using a fraudulent passport more than anything he is one of the two players that went on to play in Japan.

first bold set, i am wondering how much that is true and how how that is

spin doctoring. i will take that with a grain of salt. better than Jose A???

Stanton and Trout yes.

Despaigne, i will respectfully disagree with you, Mexican powers to be

made the final decision, but not without input from MLB. also there are other

really good players who are 30-33 years of age that will nice in the mlb if,

they can get the same deal as Yoan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
To me, if this guy is worth $100M on the open market and because of the loss of rights, I can get him for 60 (including fines)...I do just that. I thnk about the number of guys above $300K that we would lose out on signing and it really isn't that big of a deal when compared with the potential upside of the one guy we are getting. I'd then just sign a bunch of guys for the 300K or less amount. That can still end up getting you quality talent in those particular years you are barred (go higher volume cause we still would have decent pools anyway).

if Yoan is the real deal, yeah blow bye the spending restrictions and since

the sox is going to receive the penalty, might as well sign some other

players and screw the rules. at least for that yr. do what ny and sCrubs

has done.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Cuban teenage prospect Yoan Moncada has been declared a free agent by MLB. He still must be unblocked by OFAC before he can sign.

I hope Jerry opens up the wallet for this one. I REALLY like this kid.

ph really a free agent ...... hell yeah i 100% agree.