Yoan Moncada signs with Red Sox

GGajewski18

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Nov 15, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Cuban teenage prospect Yoan Moncada has been declared a free agent by MLB. He still must be unblocked by OFAC before he can sign.

I hope Jerry opens up the wallet for this one. I REALLY like this kid.

Looking at the situation in detail, there is no way this actually happens.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
That would have to qualify as tampering or something, wouldn't it?

but as ss2k5 have stated, when the window opens up, the sox can make that proposal

with any additions to a contract they will offer.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
That would have to qualify as tampering or something, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't call it tampering, as I don't see anything that said they can't negotiate with players, just that they can't sign anyone over $300k. It would probably draw some fire, but I do not believe it is prohibited, as I have seen it mentioned many times so far by other writers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
If the team who signs him has to pay a $40-50 million penalty when would that be due. And for the people with their eyes on the balance sheet, doesn't that eliminate the White Sox from consideration?

That is my question. Suppose the idea that we have 40 million is right. Suppose we offer $25 million to Moncada, and win. That gives us $50 million in payments and penalties. Are people OK with forgetting about the free agent market to spend that kind of money on Moncada? Remember he can 't sign a major league deal, so I don't believe you can spread that money out like a normal dea.

with the idea of facing 100% penalty, someone has or will try to find a

loop hole in the system. like a 1 yr contract with a clause to renegotiate

after that yr.

but it will be up to the player and his agent to accept that contract.

if not, i do not know if i am willing to spend that and the penalty for him.

i guess add the contract + penalty fee and divide it by the yrs to find the

total cost of the contract. then if the cost is right, then decide then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
That is my question. Suppose the idea that we have 40 million is right. Suppose we offer $25 million to Moncada, and win. That gives us $50 million in payments and penalties. Are people OK with forgetting about the free agent market to spend that kind of money on Moncada? Remember he can 't sign a major league deal, so I don't believe you can spread that money out like a normal dea.

See that's a really good question and the answer for me is no

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 12:38 PM)

If they think he's worth a >>$50 million contract, I'd think spending it on him is a better setup than spending it on lots of the other mediocre guys available so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
If they think he's worth a >>$50 million contract, I'd think spending it on him is a better setup than spending it on lots of the other mediocre guys available so far.

you may very well be right, but right now there are way too many questions and different

scenario's that will be address later.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 05:58 AM)
is it legal, that a contract with a window that is built in, where the player can redo his contract

after 2 yrs???

This is legal. This is what the Astros have been doing with their prospects before bringing them to the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)

I am OK with it. The FA market is pretty strong at the top and then thins out very quickly. To me this is a situation akin to Byron Buxton being declared a free agent, yes there is some risk, but to acquire a star level player is worth more to me than taking a chance on some re-tread. With his talent level he could use one more year in the minors and then fill a hole on the roster for the next six years at a minimal cost over that duration. Yes it make take the Sox out of being as large of players in FA this season, but they will have the same amount of money to spend next year when they can go after an OF like Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, or Austin Jackson, and find a RHSP like Cueto, Latos, Fister or Gallardo to round out the rotation. I am totally fine punting FA this year as I think the team is going to need some time to develop SP this season as Noesi and Rodon try to take steps forward and they get another year to determine what they have in Beck, Johnson, and Danish and figure out the bullpen situation. It also leaves money free in case Shohei Otani is posted next fall.

The other piece to remember is that the Sox will be saving ~$7M in the next two seasons in international spending, money which can be re-allocated to bringing in some additional bullpen arms.

Many fans may be different but to me it is much more about acquiring assets that can keep the Sox competitive over the long term than a race to see when the Sox can be competitive.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
This is legal. This is what the Astros have been doing with their prospects before bringing them to the majors.

I am OK with it. The FA market is pretty strong at the top and then thins out very quickly. To me this is a situation akin to Byron Buxton being declared a free agent, yes there is some risk, but to acquire a star level player is worth more to me than taking a chance on some re-tread. With his talent level he could use one more year in the minors and then fill a hole on the roster for the next six years at a minimal cost over that duration. Yes it make take the Sox out of being as large of players in FA this season, but they will have the same amount of money to spend next year when they can go after an OF like Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, or Austin Jackson, and find a RHSP like Cueto, Latos, Fister or Gallardo to round out the rotation. I am totally fine punting FA this year as I think the team is going to need some time to develop SP this season as Noesi and Rodon try to take steps forward and they get another year to determine what they have in Beck, Johnson, and Danish and figure out the bullpen situation. It also leaves money free in case Shohei Otani is posted next fall.

The other piece to remember is that the Sox will be saving ~$7M in the next two seasons in international spending, money which can be re-allocated to bringing in some additional bullpen arms.

Many fans may be different but to me it is much more about acquiring assets that can keep the Sox competitive over the long term than a race to see when the Sox can be competitive.

You might be OK with it, but if the White Sox are as broke as some here seem to think, they aren't going to spend all the cash they have for the next couple of years on a guy who is probably 2 or 3 years away from contributing. They cannot and will not punt these seasons. If you do that, you might as well trade Sale and Abreu. Then you would have the best system in baseball.

If they can afford him and still throw money into the major league team, that is the only way they should consider him.

That would definitely be a bold and risky move.

One that the White Sox might not be prepared to make...gambling on another potential franchise superstar when the betting odds say you need to place your wagers in 5-6 different places and then roll the dice.

However, if the White Sox thought Moncada would be ready by Opening Day, 2017, then why not?

The problem is whether they'd have enough resources left to put together a competitive team in 2016. White Sox fans aren't going to be too patient with the "wait for a couple more years" mantra.

If Montas, Micah Johnson, Danish, Anderson and Hawkins all blow up and have tremendous seasons in the minors (this year)...we just might hit crest of the wave perfectly, but I'd worry about "wasting" two more seasons of Sale/Abreu with this move unless I was sure as GM that we'd have another $35-40 million to spend next offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
If they can afford him and still throw money into the major league team, that is the only way they should consider him.

Of course they can afford it :)

They almost threw 100+M at Tanaka last year in addition to their other signings. Rick has expressed a few times that more money is available for the right player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
You might be OK with it, but if the White Sox are as broke as some here seem to think, they aren't going to spend all the cash they have for the next couple of years on a guy who is probably 2 or 3 years away from contributing. They cannot and will not punt these seasons. If you do that, you might as well trade Sale and Abreu. Then you would have the best system in baseball.

If it is all their cash for the next couple of years then no. But there is cash there to be spent, the Sox are projected to have a payroll about $70M at this point. If Moncada costs $40M, that puts the payroll at $110M for this year but that number would drop back down to $78M next off season if Alexeis option is exercised and Danks isn't moved during the season, so there would be financial flexibility again next season to add an arm. If Moncada is ready to take over third base in 2016, you are filling that spot with a cost controlled player throughout your window of contention, it also allows you to go after a better class of FA's next season.

You have Abreu and Sale under contract for 5 more years and the goal should be to get as much talent on the roster to surround them but to also keep the team in contention when/if they leave in free agency. The all in mentality is what got the franchise to the state that it is now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
If it is all their cash for the next couple of years then no. But there is cash there to be spent, the Sox are projected to have a payroll about $70M at this point. If Moncada costs $40M, that puts the payroll at $110M for this year but that number would drop back down to $78M next off season if Alexeis option is exercised and Danks isn't moved during the season, so there would be financial flexibility again next season to add an arm. If Moncada is ready to take over third base in 2016, you are filling that spot with a cost controlled player throughout your window of contention, it also allows you to go after a better class of FA's next season.

You have Abreu and Sale under contract for 5 more years and the goal should be to get as much talent on the roster to surround them but to also keep the team in contention when/if they leave in free agency. The all in mentality is what got the franchise to the state that it is now.

If Moncada signed a $40 million deal, he costs the team close to $80 million this year, because of the overage penalties.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
It's more than just the lump sum dollars -- it's also freezing yourself form the entire market for two years. For a team that's trying to building a "sustainable winner," that's a MAJOR drawback.

Its really only taking yourself out of play for one season, and maybe not even that long given the names that Sox have been connected with. With the payroll reductions the Sox have made the last two seasons there is some money there to go out and use to make such acquisitions. The Sox would have had to pay $20M posting fee for Tanaka last season, so we know there is some money around for such moves and you can reasonable assume that the pot is bigger given the reduced payroll and amateur spending this season.