The Winter/Spring Weather Complaint Thread

knightni

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
The guy added a whole addition himself and the plumbing and HVAC is just half-assed. He cut some corners, for example, instead of peeling off the old wooden siding, adding insulation and putting on siding, he just put new siding over the old one.

I thought that was actually pretty common practice. Thats what happened with my parents house when they got new siding and it's what was suggested to us as well whenever we decide to get new.

Edited by Iwritecode

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
Correction...it is not snowing here and it is 80 degrees ;) f*** its cold here.

I miss traveling to Southern California (even if it was the Inland Empire). Well, I don't miss the long travel days or the redeye flights home every week. But I do miss the weather.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
I thought that was actually pretty common practice. Thats what happened with my parents house when they got new siding and it's what was suggested to us as well whenever we decide to get new.

That's good to know. I've had one opinion so far.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 7, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Is that better than normal? Totally serious question.

I was waiting for the 'El this morning when it was 0 and it felt like -29 today. Those 30 MPH winds are killers.

Actually, considering this has been the coldest day of the season by far, yes, it is actually better than normal. It's still really cold. And I do want to make it clear that I'm not complaining because I, dare I say, actually like temps in the teens (so long as there's no wind), so as a result of living here and being a freak of nature that likes cold temps, I have to deal with really, really cold temps on occasion.

2-3 years ago, we hit -20 a few times, and like 4-5 years ago, there was a day or two where it hit -40. So yeah, if this is the coldest day of the winter, it will be a really nice winter. This won't be the coldest day of the winter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
And my generation has officially become those old people that complain how much harder they had it. My Facebook feed is filled with "Schools never closed when we were young, these kids are so spoiled!"

Its true though. If it was cold in school we went and put on our jackets.

I suspect now you cannot do that because of social media and media pressure and also kids hiding things in their jackets.

And my generation has officially become those old people that complain how much harder they had it. My Facebook feed is filled with "Schools never closed when we were young, these kids are so spoiled!"

Yup, same here. The "kids these days" crowd bother the hell out of me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
Its true though. If it was cold in school we went and put on our jackets.

I suspect now you cannot do that because of social media and media pressure and also kids hiding things in their jackets.

It's about liability. They don't want to run the risk of a kid getting frostbite and getting sued for it.

In my mind this is more of a geographical than generational thing. The last 8 years I've lived 300 miles farther south than I've ever lived before. I chalk it up to, "people down here are just wusses compared to people farther north."

I get the extreme divide. Either they are like OMG KIDS COULD DIE IN THIS WEATHER! Or they are like, BACK IN MY DAY....

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
I was talking with a couple people yesterday who didn't know what cassette tapes were so I know I'm old ha.

If anyone wants to feel old, just read some of the comments Kanye's fans have about Paul McCartney. Many have no idea who he is, and think Kanye doing some collaboration with him, is being really nice getting him some attention, and making an unknown a little cash.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
If anyone wants to feel old, just read some of the comments Kanye's fans have about Paul McCartney. Many have no idea who he is, and think Kanye doing some collaboration with him, is being really nice getting him some attention, and making an unknown a little cash.

THIS PAUL MCCARTNEY GUY GONNA BE HUGE

already sick of this winter :( driving has been terrible.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
In my mind this is more of a geographical than generational thing. The last 8 years I've lived 300 miles farther south than I've ever lived before. I chalk it up to, "people down here are just wusses compared to people farther north."

Milwaukee schools have been closed the last 2 days because of it being too cold. I don't think it's a geographical thing. It's definitely a "I don't want to get sued for a kid getting frostbite" thing, as Jenks mentioned above.

Edited by dasox24

Milwaukee schools have been closed the last 2 days because of it being too cold. I don't think it's a geographical thing. It's definitely a "I don't want to get sued for a kid getting frostbite" thing, as Jenks mentioned above.

I think the standard for "too cold" is a geographical thing. I don't think Chicago/Milwaukee schools close for the temperatures we are having here.

I don't recall ever having a snow day in Bismarck while in high school. I'm sure we had a couple but -15 and -20 below is expected here a couple times per year, as are heavy snowfalls.

The only time I could have stayed home from school/work due to weather was a 36 hour, 18-24 inch snow that left most of Bismarck stranded at home. I was able to get out and went to work anyways because I had a Jeep and SNOW DON'T SCARE ME ONE BIT

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 8, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
I think the standard for "too cold" is a geographical thing. I don't think Chicago/Milwaukee schools close for the temperatures we are having here.

I see what you're saying. Probably very true.

We'd get snow days for blizzards and serious travel issue days in NW Indiana but very rarely got cold days.

The one example I can remember is a day that it was cold enough that a pipe burst in a hallway, closing that hallway and damaging a transformer in the process. The school was open that day but only like 1/2 of the kids showed up. A week later there were a few flurries around noon and they sent us home, the snow then stopped. There was no earthly reason for them to close early other than "We got that many ****ing complaints last time".

Anyone else had this flu strain? This has been 48 of the most miserable hours I can remember in a long time for me.

Anyways, I don't know about other states, but a big thing in Indiana that goes into a systems school grades is attendance level. You need to hit 95% total attendance to get the highest marks. So instead of risking really low attendance for crappy days, they just cancel school now and make it up when it is better outside.