The Winter/Spring Weather Complaint Thread

knightni

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 06:03 AM)
It was like 18 out this morning when I left the house and it felt like spring to me.

I landed in Milwaukee this morning and it was 17 degrees. It felt amazing compared to last week. I guess it's all relative because if I was in Atlanta and it was 17 degrees, I'd probably be annoyed.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
Depending on the weight and size over nighting a part would still put you way ahead cost-wise.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind next time. $220 for a ceramic resistance heating element, plus $85 service fee for the visit. Ridiculous.

Better than the time the other major HVAC company (Leslie, tried Four Seasons this time) tried to tell me my whole 3 year old furnace needed to be replaced when it turned out that the squirrel cage (fan) had just walked on the motor shaft a bit because the set screw was loose. $3000 for a new furnace, 30 minutes of my time to tighten a screw. Tough call.

edit: if this was an A/C thing I'd have no problem waiting it out, but it's only going to get colder the next couple of days and didn't want to chance being wrong on my diagnosis, not having the part show up, ordering the wrong part, etc. Need to find a local HVAC supplier that will sell to non-technicians.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
natural gas, forced air.

A lot of times the HVAC guys want to do it based on safety issues. It's not that it's a hard fix by any stretch of the imagination, but it takes one person to screw it up and blow up their house to not only make it appear to be a rather dangerous fix, but to also put liability on the utility company saying "why didn't you just fix it?"

It's the same reason that, to my knowledge, most utility companies will require access to the furnace when they do meter turn ons and furnace lights in the fall. Yes, most people could easily re-light their own pilots, but there is some inherent danger in doing so.

SS - I feel your pain. The other morning my car starting smoking from the engine and I noticed a belt had slipped off a pulley near the engine (one month after paying the car off). Took it to a Midas, they tell me the water pump broke and was seized. $550 bucks parts and labor. Had them fix two sway bar links in the front while they were working on it. Another $175. Have no clue if I was getting screwed or not. Total trust that (1) they're telling me the truth and (2) the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
SS - I feel your pain. The other morning my car starting smoking from the engine and I noticed a belt had slipped off a pulley near the engine (one month after paying the car off). Took it to a Midas, they tell me the water pump broke and was seized. $550 bucks parts and labor. Had them fix two sway bar links in the front while they were working on it. Another $175. Have no clue if I was getting screwed or not. Total trust that (1) they're telling me the truth and (2) the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Midas is a criminal outfit. Take it to a mechanic you trust next time.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
Ask family or friends. Also I am sure you could find reviews of some online

Most towns have facebook pages about them. If nothing else, find the town you live in, find the biggest page on facebook, and post the question. You'll get the dirt on everyone and pick from there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 12, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
I don't know one, that's the problem.

Theres a place in Villa Park on North ave that used to be a midas and now its called route 64 auto. Not sure where youre at but its North ave and Ardmore. Theyve always been real honest with everyone in my family and even do things like check for warranties when we need parts or take our cars for emissions if needed.

• 1 month later...