The Winter/Spring Weather Complaint Thread

knightni

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend was awesome. I'm travelling to Milwaukee for work now, so I left the cold, windy, overcast weather and got back to Atlanta to temps in the 60s. I spent all day Saturday drinking outside at bars.

Side note: I have a question for you cold-weather pro's...

When the weather is really bad, what kind of shoes do you wear into work? I can't go traipsing through the snow, slush, etc-covered parking lots in my loafers. Do you wear boots and then change your shoes when you get into the office? Or do you wear something that can handle the outside elements while being acceptable in the office?

Edited by dasox24

• 3 weeks later...

So the older part of my house as well as some other upstairs areas tend to not heat well when it gets arctic around here. The first floor has radiant heat and the top floor has its own air handler with a coil. I finally had a guy over to check if we could add some vents or something to the rooms as well as get my heated floors in the basement functioning.

Of course it turns out the guy who installed the air handlers etc previously when he renovated the house did it in such a backwards way that there is really nothing to do but start from scratch. On top of that my boiler is 22 years old and is on its last legs in theory.

Just another thing this do it yourself guy did that I have to fix. Luckily the electric is fine because the plumbing, insulation, and now HVAC are all f***ed up. f***ing old houses man, f*** this weather.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
So the older part of my house as well as some other upstairs areas tend to not heat well when it gets arctic around here. The first floor has radiant heat and the top floor has its own air handler with a coil. I finally had a guy over to check if we could add some vents or something to the rooms as well as get my heated floors in the basement functioning.

Of course it turns out the guy who installed the air handlers etc previously when he renovated the house did it in such a backwards way that there is really nothing to do but start from scratch. On top of that my boiler is 22 years old and is on its last legs in theory.

Just another thing this do it yourself guy did that I have to fix. Luckily the electric is fine because the plumbing, insulation, and now HVAC are all f***ed up. f***ing old houses man, f*** this weather.

Isn't home ownership f***ing great?

I'm in Milwaukee for work this week. I know it's not even that bad, but -11 with the wind chill last night when I walked from my hotel to get dinner was miserable. I've never felt anything like that. And I know I have it easy. At least I'm in a hotel with a valet for my car. I can't imagine having to shovel my sidewalks, scrape the car, etc before work in the morning. I really feel for you guys.

Also, today I learned that I've worn out a hole in the sole of one of my loafers. I can thank the snow/slush for that. I've been wearing a wet sock at work all day. Miserable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Isn't home ownership f***ing great?

I know we got lucky in that this house has most of the things we needed and they are adequate, but jeez replacing stuff is always expensive. We are sticking in this house for awhile so I guess it makes sense to do it, but 30k for every single project is steep.

Can't just blame it on diy previous owners, though my house has its share of problems from that. There's plenty of contractors out there that do shoddy work, don't follow code, don't follow industry standards etc.

I probably wouldn't try tackling an entire HVAC system though, that just seems nuts for a DIY.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Can't just blame it on diy previous owners, though my house has its share of problems from that. There's plenty of contractors out there that do shoddy work, don't follow code, don't follow industry standards etc.

I probably wouldn't try tackling an entire HVAC system though, that just seems nuts for a DIY.

The guy added a whole addition himself and the plumbing and HVAC is just half-assed. He cut some corners, for example, instead of peeling off the old wooden siding, adding insulation and putting on siding, he just put new siding over the old one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 6, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
The guy added a whole addition himself and the plumbing and HVAC is just half-assed. He cut some corners, for example, instead of peeling off the old wooden siding, adding insulation and putting on siding, he just put new siding over the old one.

That sounds like a wonderful little place for things to go like carpenter ants